American Cancer Society

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Half behavioral questions/half technical questions.

Interview Question – What Would The Person Who Likes You Least In The World Say About You?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straightforward

Director

The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Cancer Society in February 2011.

Interview Details – It varies based on hiring manager. Some will meet with you face to face, others will do a phone interview, still others do a list of emailed questions. The screening and process seems to be pretty random based on the hiring manager, but the interviews are not intimidating and everyone is fairly nice. However, I think they often go through the motions because they already know who they are going to hire before they interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about conflict and how it was resolved.   Answer Question

Director

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2009.

Interview Details – Very fair with no surprises.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Director

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2011.

Interview Details – Everything was conducted via email, which I thought was a little rude and unprofessional. When the HR manager indicated interest in my resume, it was communicated via emails--several back and forth with questions about past work related experiences, providing examples, salary expectations etc. A phone call in addition would have been more professional.

The in-person interview was not much better. They discussed the position which did not match the description posted on their website. All local office positions MUST do a certain amount of fundraising for the organization. I wish they had clearly stated this practice. The position I interviewed for which was not fundraising related, still required fundraising work. During the interview, they mentioned 25% of time would be participating and actively engaging all professional contacts to raise money and participate in walks, galas, etc. I wish they had clearly stated this in the job description, I would not have applied and wasted their time.

Interview Question – Everyone must take part in fundraising events--especially during peak events season. Especially between the months of June and October. You must also engage all professional contacts to form teams for events, get their employees to participate and donate.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The job description posted didn't match the job described during the interview. Interviewer was only concerned about fundraising involvement rather than cancer, cancer patients and families.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!