American Cancer Society

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Community Event Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online and completed the personality assessment within 48 hours. I received an email from the recruiter requesting a phone interview where I was asked a serious of questions about what I would do in situations as the Community Event Management. After the interview I was advised I would be contacted by the hiring manager and 2 days later I was for a brief phone talk about the position which will be tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working with two volunteers who did not get along what would you do?   View Answer
    • What would u do if a sponsor wanted to have an event with only one ethnic persuasion?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online, interview was a personality questionnaire and interviewer was not interested in my personal experience at all. Interviewer was not "allowed" to clarify questions or situations, even though many questions were context-specific. Interviewer was only allowed to repeat the question. Questions included what to do when your boss is having a bad day, what to do if a volunteer comes to you crying, what do you do if your boss tells you to do something & you don't want to do it (Is it illegal? If the answer is no, then the next answer is they're your boss, you do it!)

Most of the questions centered on these people-focused emotional type of questions, rather than anything about how you do your job, what you do to be successful, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If your boss is having a bad day at work, what do you do?   View Answer

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online and about 3 weeks later I received a request to set up a phone interview. The interview was with someone in HR that did not work at the location I was interviewing for. She gave me more information about the position and asked me a few questions like when I would be available to start, my ability to work evenings and weekends, and other questions specific to being able to fulfill basic job responsibilities. I applied for a position that was out of state and she told me that they don't like to hire people that aren't from the area that the position is in and that I would be better off applying in my own state. She then asked me if I was ready to begin the scripted questions. She read these questions like a robot to the extent that they were difficult to understand because her inflection didn't make sense. It was like listening to Siri. They were all what would you do if... questions that were specific to circumstances you might face in the position. Some were very easy, while others were more difficult because there wasn't enough information in the question to make a judgment call. After the scripted questions I was able to ask any questions I had and told that I would hear back whether I moved forward or not. I got a generic email a week later saying that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply for this position?
      Why the ACS?
      Tell me about your experience working with volunteers.

Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online, received an email the next day asking me to complete a questionnaire, within 4 hours had another email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted over an hour, the person interviewing me sounded like a robot and read off the wrong prompt for the first 30 minutes of the interview because she was confused about what position I even applied for. Very impersonal, after the interview I was no longer interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions based off of finances, which were not mentioned in anything I had researched about the job prior to the interview   Answer Question

Events Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Quick and easy. I met with the employees and they were all very laid back. You truly have to be passionate about the non-profit mission and they love hiring like minded individuals.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle it if a volunteer asked "friend" type question?   Answer Question

Interview Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

They called me in for an in person interview right away. Hiring manager was super easy to talk to, young, and answered all my questions appropriately. She asked why the American Cancer Society and if cancer was in my family. She asked personal questions but all questions she was willing to answer herself.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I interview with 3 individuals. The first was a screening call with the HR department and second was the hiring staff. All interviews were very pleasant. The interviewers asked specific questions in a very professional yet polite and welcoming manner. Feedback regarding the interview was relatively quick that is, I was informed on next steps within a week.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

3 interviews. First with recruiting, then hiring manager and then 3 person panel. The process was done over a month long period. The questions in the first two interviews were more so behavioral Moreso than reviewing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions such as what you would do in certain situations, motivations and the type of career you wish to have and what you can contribute.   Answer Question

Relay Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

After completing a thorough application, I was sent an email to complete an online interview. It was multiple choice. After passing that, I was interviewed over the phone by a regional staff member. It was similar to the online questionnaire but gave a chance to expound on my answers. I passed that level and was then interviewed by the regional office. It was another phone interview. We talked for well over an hour getting to know one another and also talking through how I would handle different scenarios. It was a very time consuming process. I got to the very end and they chose the other candidate that was in the final running.

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

First is a phone interview with HR, general questions and to see if you are a good fit. Second interview will be with your direct manager and the third and final interview is a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • The final panel interview was the most difficult as you are drilled with questions by 4 separate people.   Answer Question