American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
    Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
    Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
    Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
    Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
    Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
    Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
    Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   1 Answer

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society (Framingham, MA).

Interview

Very difficult, a 4 step process and very prolonged.

Negotiation

It was pretty standard.

Director of Estate Gifts Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

The American Cancer Society organization conducts a multi-tiered 360 interview process primarily by phone - until the final stages. Then the interviews are group interviews. Presentations were required after the first two interviews. All of the individuals who conduct the interviews are very strong committed staff members who knowledgeable about cancer as well as wills, trusts, estates, and charitable giving in general. the interviewers provide clear communications about next steps. Intially it was surprising that there were so many telephone interviews before the meeting. Interviewees are required to develop a detailed 90 day business plan.

Interview Questions

• Interviewees must provide a detailed review and justification of 90 day plan. Interviewee must understand the met present evaluation of expected gift production. Interviewees must understand the details of planned giving as well the research, public policy stances, and programs of the ACS.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is virtually no negotiation.

Income Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society (Cedar Rapids, IA) in June 2009.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR, 1:1 interview with Director, Job offer from Director. Interviews are behavioral question based.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you made a mistake. How did you handle the situation & correct the issue.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer, co-worker, etc. How did you influence the situation & have a positive outcome?   Answer Question

Senior Director, Partner Relationships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

interviewed at American Cancer Society (Detroit, MI) in December 2010.

Interview

The hiring and review process was very thorough and beneficial, to both the candidate and ACS. I needed to really do a lot of soul searching during the process and it made it a wonderful experience. Rush decisions are not made - there is a focus on making sure a right fit is made -for both parties.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2014.

Interview

First there was a 30+ on line questionnaire, then a phone interview. Depending on who you got for the phone interview, it was either extremely by rote questioning, or an actual, personalized interview. I had two interviews, one average and the other one terrific, where I felt that I really connected with the interviewer. She made it clear that only my lack of experience working with volunteers rather than paid employees kept me from continuing the application process.

Interview Questions

• Asked several times, and in slightly different formats was "how would you deal with unhappy/underperforming volunteers?".   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Applied online, interview was a personality questionnaire and interviewer was not interested in my personal experience at all. Interviewer was not "allowed" to clarify questions or situations, even though many questions were context-specific. Interviewer was only allowed to repeat the question. Questions included what to do when your boss is having a bad day, what to do if a volunteer comes to you crying, what do you do if your boss tells you to do something & you don't want to do it (Is it illegal? If the answer is no, then the next answer is they're your boss, you do it!)

Most of the questions centered on these people-focused emotional type of questions, rather than anything about how you do your job, what you do to be successful, etc.

Interview Questions

• If your boss is having a bad day at work, what do you do?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society (Manchester, NH) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone screening with talent services. Online survey/questionnaire. Skype Interview. In-person interview. The questionnaire took a very long time and it was hard to determine who you should be speaking to at which points.

Community Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society (Atlanta, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was given an online survey to take the morning after I filled out an application (applied at midnight, received email at 8:30am). It was a long list of situational questions; all with plausible answers which shows they're looking for a specific personality. I heard back from a hiring manager by 3pm that afternoon to set up a phone interview for the following week. The phone interview lasted about an hour. The first quarter was her explaining the position, the following quarter was questions about myself and my fundraising experience, and the last half was situational questions with free-response answers. Quite honestly this was quite difficult but I must have done well because the regional manager called me to set up an in-person interview a few hours later. The in-person interview mirrored the phone interview but it was much more relaxed and only involved a few questions. Overall, it went great until I told her I would be studying for my Master's degree at the same time and would have to miss 6 days out of the 12-month calendar for class. I knew it probably wouldn't be received extremely well to begin with (what employer really wants to hire someone who already knows they'll miss 6 days?!), but I look forward to her response either way! I think it was a great experience, especially for my first job interview.

Non Profit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Cancer Society (Jacksonville, FL) in December 2009.

Interview

A quick(15 minutes) phone interview consisting of a few questions. Interviewer seemed distracted(multi-tasking?) - did not answer my questions directly and was not familiar with my resume. While the telephone may be useful in screening a large number of applicants, the process seems awkward and detrimental to finding the right person for the job and the team.