American Cancer Society

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.9

Marketing and Communications Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
    Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
    Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
    Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
    Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
    Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
    Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
    Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   View Answer

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Very difficult, a 4 step process and very prolonged.

It was pretty standard.

Director of Estate Gifts Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2013.

The American Cancer Society organization conducts a multi-tiered 360 interview process primarily by phone - until the final stages. Then the interviews are group interviews. Presentations were required after the first two interviews. All of the individuals who conduct the interviews are very strong committed staff members who knowledgeable about cancer as well as wills, trusts, estates, and charitable giving in general. the interviewers provide clear communications about next steps. Intially it was surprising that there were so many telephone interviews before the meeting. Interviewees are required to develop a detailed 90 day business plan.

Interview Questions
    • Interviewees must provide a detailed review and justification of 90 day plan. Interviewee must understand the met present evaluation of expected gift production. Interviewees must understand the details of planned giving as well the research, public policy stances, and programs of the ACS.   View Answer
    There is virtually no negotiation.

Income Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2009.

Initial phone interview with HR, 1:1 interview with Director, Job offer from Director. Interviews are behavioral question based.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a situation where you made a mistake. How did you handle the situation & correct the issue.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer, co-worker, etc. How did you influence the situation & have a positive outcome?   Answer Question

Senior Director, Partner Relationships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

interviewed at American Cancer Society in December 2010.

The hiring and review process was very thorough and beneficial, to both the candidate and ACS. I needed to really do a lot of soul searching during the process and it made it a wonderful experience. Rush decisions are not made - there is a focus on making sure a right fit is made -for both parties.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2014.

First there was a 30+ on line questionnaire, then a phone interview. Depending on who you got for the phone interview, it was either extremely by rote questioning, or an actual, personalized interview. I had two interviews, one average and the other one terrific, where I felt that I really connected with the interviewer. She made it clear that only my lack of experience working with volunteers rather than paid employees kept me from continuing the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Asked several times, and in slightly different formats was "how would you deal with unhappy/underperforming volunteers?".   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online, interview was a personality questionnaire and interviewer was not interested in my personal experience at all. Interviewer was not "allowed" to clarify questions or situations, even though many questions were context-specific. Interviewer was only allowed to repeat the question. Questions included what to do when your boss is having a bad day, what to do if a volunteer comes to you crying, what do you do if your boss tells you to do something & you don't want to do it (Is it illegal? If the answer is no, then the next answer is they're your boss, you do it!)

Most of the questions centered on these people-focused emotional type of questions, rather than anything about how you do your job, what you do to be successful, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If your boss is having a bad day at work, what do you do?   View Answer

Non Profit Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Cancer Society in December 2009.

A quick(15 minutes) phone interview consisting of a few questions. Interviewer seemed distracted(multi-tasking?) - did not answer my questions directly and was not familiar with my resume. While the telephone may be useful in screening a large number of applicants, the process seems awkward and detrimental to finding the right person for the job and the team.

MBA Marketing Intern Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2010.

I was recruited on campus for a graduate marketing position. The interview consisted of 2 interviewers who did not come off as very friendly. Asked many questions about past work experience by walking through resume. Asked about characteristics of your personality. Did not think the interview went well at first because the interviewers did not crack a smile and were very to the point. But once I worked with them, they were the opposite of my first impressions, very friendly and approachable.

Interview Questions
    • Following your resume walk through, what are your qualifications and how are you the appropriate fit in our company?   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2011.

Regional director was not open to any new idea suggestions nor answered my marketing questions.