American Cancer Society Interview Questions

2.8

Cancer Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2015.

I was first interviewed over the phone by a HR representative that said the interview would be recorded and passed on to the hiring manager. Shortly afterwards, I heard from the hiring manager. Questions were all behavioral.

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2013.

Initially got a short, 5 question phone interview from a supervisor. They were just basic questions about myself and why I wanted to work there. Within a few days they called me back and scheduled a Skype interview. Skype interview took about an hour, nothing out of the ordinary. Laid back, non-stressful.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a patient didn't want to share any personal information? What do you know about health insurance? What is your proudest moment?   Answer Question

IT Support Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

One interview with the "head" of the department is all it took. Quick, friendly and painless. After the initial interview, I received a phone call within a a couple of days from the "head" of the IT dept and then a call from HR and shortly thereafter I got the offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Hardware, software, networking experience/exposure to.   Answer Question

IT Service Desk Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

The interview process consisted of being contacted by e-mail by a recruiter / human resources person, followed by an over the phone interview with that same person and a second interview over the phone with the IT Service Desk manager and IT lead

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time that you've had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle it?

What steps do you perform when dealing with someone that isn't technically savvy?

Tell me about your strengths

Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online, interview was a personality questionnaire and interviewer was not interested in my personal experience at all. Interviewer was not "allowed" to clarify questions or situations, even though many questions were context-specific. Interviewer was only allowed to repeat the question. Questions included what to do when your boss is having a bad day, what to do if a volunteer comes to you crying, what do you do if your boss tells you to do something & you don't want to do it (Is it illegal? If the answer is no, then the next answer is they're your boss, you do it!)

Most of the questions centered on these people-focused emotional type of questions, rather than anything about how you do your job, what you do to be successful, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If your boss is having a bad day at work, what do you do?   View Answer

Community Event Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online and completed the personality assessment within 48 hours. I received an email from the recruiter requesting a phone interview where I was asked a serious of questions about what I would do in situations as the Community Event Management. After the interview I was advised I would be contacted by the hiring manager and 2 days later I was for a brief phone talk about the position which will be tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working with two volunteers who did not get along what would you do?   View Answer
    • What would u do if a sponsor wanted to have an event with only one ethnic persuasion?   View Answer

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online and about 3 weeks later I received a request to set up a phone interview. The interview was with someone in HR that did not work at the location I was interviewing for. She gave me more information about the position and asked me a few questions like when I would be available to start, my ability to work evenings and weekends, and other questions specific to being able to fulfill basic job responsibilities. I applied for a position that was out of state and she told me that they don't like to hire people that aren't from the area that the position is in and that I would be better off applying in my own state. She then asked me if I was ready to begin the scripted questions. She read these questions like a robot to the extent that they were difficult to understand because her inflection didn't make sense. It was like listening to Siri. They were all what would you do if... questions that were specific to circumstances you might face in the position. Some were very easy, while others were more difficult because there wasn't enough information in the question to make a judgment call. After the scripted questions I was able to ask any questions I had and told that I would hear back whether I moved forward or not. I got a generic email a week later saying that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply for this position?
      Why the ACS?
      Tell me about your experience working with volunteers.

Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied online, received an email the next day asking me to complete a questionnaire, within 4 hours had another email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted over an hour, the person interviewing me sounded like a robot and read off the wrong prompt for the first 30 minutes of the interview because she was confused about what position I even applied for. Very impersonal, after the interview I was no longer interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions based off of finances, which were not mentioned in anything I had researched about the job prior to the interview   Answer Question

Account Representative - Partner Relationships Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2013.

Initial HR phone screening-management style questions. Then, another phone interview with potential boss. Next round, in person interview. Wasn't a bad process, but took longer than I had hoped. Was asked a lot of scenario based questions. Also, questions about how my experience would apply to the position. Interviewers were nice and the entire process was not bad.

Interview Questions
    Minimal, but was able to negotiate up a bit.

Events Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Quick and easy. I met with the employees and they were all very laid back. You truly have to be passionate about the non-profit mission and they love hiring like minded individuals.

Interview Questions
    • How would I handle it if a volunteer asked "friend" type question?   Answer Question