American Cancer Society

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

Relay Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

After completing a thorough application, I was sent an email to complete an online interview. It was multiple choice. After passing that, I was interviewed over the phone by a regional staff member. It was similar to the online questionnaire but gave a chance to expound on my answers. I passed that level and was then interviewed by the regional office. It was another phone interview. We talked for well over an hour getting to know one another and also talking through how I would handle different scenarios. It was a very time consuming process. I got to the very end and they chose the other candidate that was in the final running.

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2014.

If you look online at typical interview questions, prepare and you are good to go. Have a good time and be yourself. There were no questions that really threw me off. They want people who care about cancer patients or have been impacted by cancer in some way.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if I could really be on time, they really don't want you coming in to work late   Answer Question

Distinguished Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2014.

Applied online, got automatic on-line questionnaire response. Did that, then got a phone interview with about an hour of questions (very similar to online questionnaire). Has been a month and I haven't heard anything since (despite queries), so don't stop looking for other jobs while waiting to hear from ACS.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for questions about dealing with racism and difficult volunteers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2014.

Online questionairre and 45-60 minute phone interview. Basically a personality test online and a "What would you do?" on a very lengthy phone interview where questions are read, dryly, in a robotic voice, with no further explanation. The interviewer and the recruiter are in two different states and had time zone issues. Therefore, they had major communication breakdowns. So one had my interview scheduled for 10am and one had it schefuled for 11am. Neither one apologized for the mix up and kept calling and emailing me mixed messages about the time mix up. I felt both blamed me for their communication breakdown issues. It was as if I lost the job before I even had the chance based on the interview time mix-up they had between the two of them that I was caught up in the middle. Most annoying interview process, ever. Adding insult to injury no one even bothered to take the time to email me a rejection and thanks for applying but... They just simply blew me off!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do with a volunteer who is exceeding all goals and expectations?   View Answer

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

First is a phone interview with HR, general questions and to see if you are a good fit. Second interview will be with your direct manager and the third and final interview is a panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • The final panel interview was the most difficult as you are drilled with questions by 4 separate people.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The process took about 4 weeks. I put in an application online and a day or so later I was emailed the questionnaire. A week after that, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward and consisted solely of situational questions. Less than a week later I was contacted by the hiring manager to have an in-person interview, which was very relaxed. Six days later I interviewed with the hiring manager and his boss.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Basic interview process. Initial screening through national office then sent to local office. Went through my resume line by line, asking how each individual experience / job related to working with ACS. Be prepared for almost no negotiation on salary, as they're determined to save as much money paying lower level employees to pad executive salaries.

No negotiation. They paid the minimum possible and would not budge.

Specialist, Community Events Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online less than a week ago. Set up a phone interview. Was disappointed in the phone interview, the recruiter called and then played an automated recording. 99.9% of the phone interview was done from this recording. Became very difficult to pay attention because with automated recordings they can be extremely hard to understand .

Interview Questions
    • Was asked a series of situation questions. "What if this happen..." etc.   Answer Question

Distingusihed Events Specialist Interview

Initial communication was a phone call in which they asked thirty situation questions in a thirty minute time period. These questions had to do mostly with volunteer management and controlling a committee and making sure they are kept on track and focused. Questions were fairly similar to the online questionnaire which they make you complete. Sometimes it felt like they were asking same questions in different ways.

Interview Questions
    • There was a couple instances where they asked questions in regards to discrimination and having a diverse staff, but if you are explain that you do not tolerate this and are a level headed person it should not catch you off guard too much   Answer Question

not enough salary

Income Development Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2013.

I filled out an online application and pre-screening questions. Within 4 days I was contacted for a phone interview. I must have done well on the phone interview because I was then granted a face to face interview with the manager of the office I was applying for the job. The phone interview was very formal, there was a series of questions and you were expected to answer based on scenarios. The face to face interview was more relaxed. I was asked my perception of the position and how I would handle working with volunteers, deadlines, budgets and fundraising expectations. At the end of the interview I was believed from the positive feedback from the interviewer that I was a strong candidate. I was actually told the events I would have and the told about the volunteer chairpersons I would be working with and how to handle them

Interview Questions
    • Describe a scenario where you had to deal with a difficult person   Answer Question