American Cancer Society

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.8

Community Mission Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Email correspondence to set up interview after initial phone interview. In-person interview with entire office staff. Overview of the job requirement and nature was provided in detail by different staff.

Office Coordinator Interview

Submit resume. Phone call within 2 weeks. First Interview with local office manager. Called in for second interview with Home Office HR. Received call within one week to accept the position.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2014.

There were 2 phone interviews with a recruiter and then the hiring manager. They were both very pleasant. It was more like a conversation than an interview. I felt at ease after each interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does your future plans align with our business direction?   View Answer
    I was told upfront what the salary was and agreed to it in the interview. There was no negotiations.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2014.

First, I applied to several locations through the ACS website. After applying online, I was sent a multiple choice questionnaire with situational leadership questions. The survey was pretty straight forward, asking about how you might handle certain situations with volunteers, event chairs, etc. It helps to know about the structure of a Relay for Life event. This lasted less than 30 minutes.

A few days after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview had questions similar to the online questionnaire, but allowed for a lot more open response. It was clearly scripted and felt a little robotic, but again, pretty straight forward. Questions centered mostly around "What would you do if..." It helps to have examples of how you have worked with conflict, volunteers, and accountability in the past. During this interview, we also discussed the specific locations, more details about the position, and a salary range. At this point, the recruiter decided which location we would be moving forward with out of the ones I applied for. This interview lasted about an hour.

A week later, I was contacted by a regional manager for another phone interview. This one started off with more questions about the position with regards to the specific office. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and was a lot more personal than the first phone interview. She asked about why I wanted to apply, why I thought I was the best for the position, and about situations where I had used specific skills. She tailored her questions to my previous job, so it was much less awkward to answer than the first interview which was more scripted.

A few days later, the regional manager reached out to schedule a face-to-face interview. This lasted just under an hour, and we discussed how I would handle certain issues that had come up in the past relay cycle. I would say this was the most relaxed of all the interviews. I got the impression it was more of a "fit" interview with a few follow-up questions based on my phone interview with her.

Within a few days, the recruiter called me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • An event chair and a logistics chair have been butting heads all year long. Now, the logistics chair emails you and CCs the event chair- she's done with the drama. She wants to take all her sponsors, and everything she has locked down to another Relay event, but she can't work with your event chair and your event any longer. How do you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    • MANY MANY MANY situational questions. Be prepared with specific examples of past experiences of dealing with conflict, and be ready to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Policy Coordinator Interview

I got call for an interview. The scheduling process was very easy. I interviewed with two people, who, while very nice, read the interview questions off of a list. It didn't really allow for an organic conversation.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The first step is to apply online. After applying online, I was immediately sent a questionnaire that asked behavioral questions on how I would handle specific situations I might come across in working for the ACS. If you have leadership skills, or knowledge of the process, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what they're looking for.

About a week after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions that were close to those on the questionnaire, along with more information about the position and salary range information.

A week later, I was contacted to do another phone interview with the regional manager for another phone interview. This one consisted of several similar questions, but also much more information about the position and what it would entail. This interview last about 45 minutes. At the end of the interview, the manager asked me to come in for a "meeting" to meet her and other who worked in the office. This meeting took place a week after the phone interview, and last about an hour.

I received an offer for the position later that same day.

Interview Questions
    • An organizational change occurs that you don't necessarily agree with, how do you get volunteers to buy into it?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Very difficult, a 4 step process and very prolonged.

It was pretty standard.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in April 2014.

First there was a 30+ on line questionnaire, then a phone interview. Depending on who you got for the phone interview, it was either extremely by rote questioning, or an actual, personalized interview. I had two interviews, one average and the other one terrific, where I felt that I really connected with the interviewer. She made it clear that only my lack of experience working with volunteers rather than paid employees kept me from continuing the application process.

Interview Questions
    • Asked several times, and in slightly different formats was "how would you deal with unhappy/underperforming volunteers?".   View Answer

Marketing and Communications Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
    Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
    Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
    Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
    Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
    Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
    Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
    Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   View Answer

Event Intern Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter and was contacted within a week asking to meet in person. It was very informal and friendly, I met with a communications head and the events head.