American Cancer Society

Updated Dec 14, 2014
Updated Dec 14, 2014

2.8

Marketing and Communications Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

When I first got the call after I applied, they said the first interview would be over the phone - so we set up a time/day to do so. First phone interview went well (lasted about 15-20 minutes), said they would like to continue interview in person.
    Went in for second interview, first in person - went well, everyone was nice, he introduced me to most of the employees, and showed me where my potential office might be (I felt really good about getting the job!)
    Called me back the next day to say they wanted to do another in person interview with the area director who would be in town. Went in for THIRD interview, everything went well - lots of questions about what kind of person I am, and wanted every detail of all sales experience I had.
    Called me back a couple days later saying they wanted to do another interview, this time with several people in the office. By this time, I was really losing patience - either you want me or you don't!
    Went in for FOURTH interview, went well. Same questions, just asked differently just like I felt how the other interviews went.
    Call back a few days later, saying a different area director was in town and wanted to meet me. Went in and met with her, things went well - pretty short interview, and I don't blame her I'm not sure what other info anyone could squeeze out of me.
    Called me back a couple days later and did what was basically another phone interview. I didn't even care about the job anymore by this point, I felt like I was in an horrible relationship and I couldn't break up with the person or something.
    Called me back again a couple days later and finally said that they didn't think I was right for the job because I didn't have enough sales experience. I nearly had a nuclear meltdown - I told them from the beginning I barely had any sales experience so I'm not sure what they were doing wasting their time and my time by doing SIX interviews.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me many times what I would do if one of the cancer patients/survivors started clinging to me and wanting to be my friend or be able to call me personally.   View Answer

Event Intern Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter and was contacted within a week asking to meet in person. It was very informal and friendly, I met with a communications head and the events head.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in March 2014.

One over the phone interview asking basic background questions and if I had any connections to the company. Woman was very nice and even sent me an email about another potential job in the area I was staying at during the time

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

interviewed at American Cancer Society in February 2014.

online application ,then phone screen, then an on-site interview. The on-site interview include sitting beside a current staff for 30 mins, and a talk for 45-60 mins.

Senior Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

They start with a phone interview asking questions about your management style. If you are selected, you have an in-person interview with the hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Very vague questions over the phone so it was hard to answer because there are so many possible answes   Answer Question

Community Representative Interview

Set up interview via email. I was called by interviewer and asked a number of questions. Interview was recorded.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions about how one motivates others and about cultural issues and motivation   Answer Question

Community Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2014.

One day after submitting the application I received a screener for personality/skills test. The day after, I received a request for a phone screener, and three days after the screener received an email stating that the organization was not considering me for the position.

Interview Questions
    • If a large donor came to you crying, and told you that a family member was diagnosed with cancer - what would you do? Most other questions appeared to be the same questions re-phased - all related to working with volunteers - with slight twists.   Answer Question

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2014.

Online application, phone interview, and then face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions
    • One was that 'do you use a computer regularly?" and "explain an experience where a policy changed at your workplace"   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate.

Donation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied for a Donation Specialist because my friend worked there and told me about a position opening. So I applied online at Cancer.org.

Once they reviewed my application, a recruiter called me and did a small phone interview (asking why I want to work for the company and what my goals are) and told me information about the position.

Once that was passed, I had interviewed with two people in person. At first, they set you up with someone who does the job so you can get a hands on experience on what you'll have to do. It was nice to see because the job description online doesn't explain much. Also, it helps with interview questions. After shadowing a person, I had interviewed with the supervisors. They mostly asked behavioral questions and they wanted elaborate answers.

Interview Questions
    • When given a question, answer with: what happened, who was involved, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate pay, but I was happy with what they offered me. They also allowed me to choose my schedule.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Long interview process - phone screen, phone interview with hiring manager, panel interview, then finally an offer. Took two to three weeks for the process and lots of awkward moments at former job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for us instead of another nonprofit?   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate, would definitely not just accept first offer.