American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015
Updated Mar 13, 2015

2.8

Office Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2014.

Applied online, didn't hear back for maybe a month. I received an email asking if I could schedule a phone interview. After the end of the phone interview, I was told my information would be passed on to the hiring manager on site. They emailed to let me know they chose someone with more closely related skills.

Interview Questions
    • How would you divide up the work for a project shared with another person   View Answer

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in August 2014.

If you look online at typical interview questions, prepare and you are good to go. Have a good time and be yourself. There were no questions that really threw me off. They want people who care about cancer patients or have been impacted by cancer in some way.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me if I could really be on time, they really don't want you coming in to work late   Answer Question

Distinguished Events Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Initial phone interview. Situational questions about working with people and staying organized. Then came in to meet two individuals from the department. They were both very nice and the interview flowed as a conversation. Pretty easy if you are really personable and can communicate well. Process took about 2 weeks max.

Interview Questions
    • All very basic questions that you could expect in any professional interview. The phone interview was the most difficult and more of a formality to make sure you aren't a joke.

Give me an example of how you work in groups.
      Communicated with someone with a difficult personality.
      Why do you want to work here?

Answer Question
    No much room to negotiate

Community Mission Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Email correspondence to set up interview after initial phone interview. In-person interview with entire office staff. Overview of the job requirement and nature was provided in detail by different staff.

Office Coordinator Interview

Submit resume. Phone call within 2 weeks. First Interview with local office manager. Called in for second interview with Home Office HR. Received call within one week to accept the position.

Event Outreach Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2014.

There were 2 phone interviews with a recruiter and then the hiring manager. They were both very pleasant. It was more like a conversation than an interview. I felt at ease after each interview.

Interview Questions
    • How does your future plans align with our business direction?   View Answer
    I was told upfront what the salary was and agreed to it in the interview. There was no negotiations.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2014.

First, I applied to several locations through the ACS website. After applying online, I was sent a multiple choice questionnaire with situational leadership questions. The survey was pretty straight forward, asking about how you might handle certain situations with volunteers, event chairs, etc. It helps to know about the structure of a Relay for Life event. This lasted less than 30 minutes.

A few days after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview had questions similar to the online questionnaire, but allowed for a lot more open response. It was clearly scripted and felt a little robotic, but again, pretty straight forward. Questions centered mostly around "What would you do if..." It helps to have examples of how you have worked with conflict, volunteers, and accountability in the past. During this interview, we also discussed the specific locations, more details about the position, and a salary range. At this point, the recruiter decided which location we would be moving forward with out of the ones I applied for. This interview lasted about an hour.

A week later, I was contacted by a regional manager for another phone interview. This one started off with more questions about the position with regards to the specific office. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and was a lot more personal than the first phone interview. She asked about why I wanted to apply, why I thought I was the best for the position, and about situations where I had used specific skills. She tailored her questions to my previous job, so it was much less awkward to answer than the first interview which was more scripted.

A few days later, the regional manager reached out to schedule a face-to-face interview. This lasted just under an hour, and we discussed how I would handle certain issues that had come up in the past relay cycle. I would say this was the most relaxed of all the interviews. I got the impression it was more of a "fit" interview with a few follow-up questions based on my phone interview with her.

Within a few days, the recruiter called me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • An event chair and a logistics chair have been butting heads all year long. Now, the logistics chair emails you and CCs the event chair- she's done with the drama. She wants to take all her sponsors, and everything she has locked down to another Relay event, but she can't work with your event chair and your event any longer. How do you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    • MANY MANY MANY situational questions. Be prepared with specific examples of past experiences of dealing with conflict, and be ready to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Policy Coordinator Interview

I got call for an interview. The scheduling process was very easy. I interviewed with two people, who, while very nice, read the interview questions off of a list. It didn't really allow for an organic conversation.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The first step is to apply online. After applying online, I was immediately sent a questionnaire that asked behavioral questions on how I would handle specific situations I might come across in working for the ACS. If you have leadership skills, or knowledge of the process, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what they're looking for.

About a week after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions that were close to those on the questionnaire, along with more information about the position and salary range information.

A week later, I was contacted to do another phone interview with the regional manager for another phone interview. This one consisted of several similar questions, but also much more information about the position and what it would entail. This interview last about 45 minutes. At the end of the interview, the manager asked me to come in for a "meeting" to meet her and other who worked in the office. This meeting took place a week after the phone interview, and last about an hour.

I received an offer for the position later that same day.

Interview Questions
    • An organizational change occurs that you don't necessarily agree with, how do you get volunteers to buy into it?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Very difficult, a 4 step process and very prolonged.

It was pretty standard.