American Cancer Society Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I applied online, received an email the next day asking me to complete a questionnaire, within 4 hours had another email asking to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted over an hour, the person interviewing me sounded like a robot and read off the wrong prompt for the first 30 minutes of the interview because she was confused about what position I even applied for. Very impersonal, after the interview I was no longer interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions based off of finances, which were not mentioned in anything I had researched about the job prior to the interview   Answer Question

Interview Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

They called me in for an in person interview right away. Hiring manager was super easy to talk to, young, and answered all my questions appropriately. She asked why the American Cancer Society and if cancer was in my family. She asked personal questions but all questions she was willing to answer herself.

Events Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

Quick and easy. I met with the employees and they were all very laid back. You truly have to be passionate about the non-profit mission and they love hiring like minded individuals.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle it if a volunteer asked "friend" type question?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

I interview with 3 individuals. The first was a screening call with the HR department and second was the hiring staff. All interviews were very pleasant. The interviewers asked specific questions in a very professional yet polite and welcoming manner. Feedback regarding the interview was relatively quick that is, I was informed on next steps within a week.

Procurement Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society (Remote, OR).

Interview

3 interviews. First with recruiting, then hiring manager and then 3 person panel. The process was done over a month long period. The questions in the first two interviews were more so behavioral Moreso than reviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions such as what you would do in certain situations, motivations and the type of career you wish to have and what you can contribute.   Answer Question

Relay Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

After completing a thorough application, I was sent an email to complete an online interview. It was multiple choice. After passing that, I was interviewed over the phone by a regional staff member. It was similar to the online questionnaire but gave a chance to expound on my answers. I passed that level and was then interviewed by the regional office. It was another phone interview. We talked for well over an hour getting to know one another and also talking through how I would handle different scenarios. It was a very time consuming process. I got to the very end and they chose the other candidate that was in the final running.

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

First is a phone interview with HR, general questions and to see if you are a good fit. Second interview will be with your direct manager and the third and final interview is a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• The final panel interview was the most difficult as you are drilled with questions by 4 separate people.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview

The process took about 4 weeks. I put in an application online and a day or so later I was emailed the questionnaire. A week after that, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward and consisted solely of situational questions. Less than a week later I was contacted by the hiring manager to have an in-person interview, which was very relaxed. Six days later I interviewed with the hiring manager and his boss.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online, got automatic on-line questionnaire response. Did that, then got a phone interview with about an hour of questions (very similar to online questionnaire). Has been a month and I haven't heard anything since (despite queries), so don't stop looking for other jobs while waiting to hear from ACS.

Interview Questions

• Prepare for questions about dealing with racism and difficult volunteers.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2014.

Interview

They contacted me via email and phone to set up a phone interview. During the phone interview they ask about 40-50 questions back to back that you have to answer somewhat quickly and there is no break in between. They are rapid fire, situational interview style questions. It felt like the majority of the questions had to do with managing volunteers.

Interview Questions

• You have a volunteer who is very passionate about helping in a particular role, but their talents are not suited for that role. What would you do?   Answer Question
    • Your volunteers were very excited about raising the amount of money they raised during an event, but they felt short of the goal. How do you communicate this news to them?   Answer Question