American Cancer Society

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director Interview

Director

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Half behavioral questions/half technical questions.

Interview Question – What Would The Person Who Likes You Least In The World Say About You?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straightforward

Cancer Information Specialist Interview

Cancer Information Specialist
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had a behavioral interview. Questions included, tell me a time when you exhibited leadership, or about a time you had to deal with many customers who were, and also tell me about a time when you had to be on the phone with customers. Some technology questions.

Interview Question – One of the technical questions, involved talking about something you had done recently on you computer that involved completing several tasks at once.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. I requested a salary on the application, but was given a slightly lower amount in the offer letter.

Part-time Coordinator Hope Lodge Interview

Part-time Coordinator Hope Lodge
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a member of HR from ACS headquarters in Atlanta. This HR member knew nothing about the actual position when I asked her questions, so then the director of the Hope Lodge facility contacted me. She then scheduled a phone interview with me, which consisted of her asking me about my strengths, weaknesses, personal experience, inspiring moment at my previous job, and a time in which I had difficulties at my previous job but was successful. From there she let me ask questions regarding Hope Lodge and the position. At the end of the phone interview we scheduled an in person interview for the next week. At the face-to-face interview we went over my resume, we took a tour of the facilities, we talked about the pay/time commitment, and then I was allowed to ask more questions.

Interview Question – The most difficult question to answer was: "Why are you the best candidate for this position?". The unexpected question was: "If a volunteer or other employee blamed you for something you did not do, how would you address the situation?".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked how much I made at my previous job. I was then told the highest they were able to give for the position was $0.75 less than I was making per hour. I accepted despite this, and at the end it came out to a less than $0.50 pay cut.

Specialist, Relay for Life

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Process lasted approximately 6 weeks. Only 1 interview. I was brought in for an interview, but then told I didn't have enough experience for the job.

Interview Question – Asked questions about the organization, their mission, and the specific event.   Answer Question

Culver City, CA

I applied online and interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email the next day requesting me to take a candidate questionnaire. The questionnaire was all multiple choice questions asking how you would deal with volunteers and chair members in various circumstances to assess your work style. The answer choices were a little limited or sometimes two answers would have worked for the same volunteer. I would have preferred a short answer survey to customize my responses but I suppose its much faster to sift through multiple choice answers.

Interview Question – The questions were all along the same lines - just testing your leaderships skills in various settings.   Answer Question

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

Relay for Life Specialist

Interviewed at American Cancer Society

Interview Details – Very responsive! Lots of situational questions

Interview Question – It is sometimes difficult to answer certain situational questions since the structure of the organization is unfamiliar   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Make it personal!

I applied online and interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email for a phone interview. The interviewer called over an hour early, I asked to call her back in 10 or so minutes (so I could leave work and be in a quiet location), but she didn't answer. I left a message, and she called me back after about 20 minutes. The interview consisted of quite a few "what would you do if...." questions, and took about an hour. She said that I would receive contact from the hiring manager whether they were interested or not (which I appreciate!), but I didn't hear back. I assume they were not interested.

Interview Question – If a volunteer came to you and was upset that a family member had just been diagnosed with cancer, how would you react to this?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through the ACS website and received an email for a phone interview with recruiter within 2-3 weeks. The recruiter interview was used to gauge my interest in the position and to gauge salary expectations. About 10 days later I received an appointment for a panel interview.

The process is fast, if they like what you have to offer.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected. They presented detailed information about the position at the interview and then asked questions from there vetting experiences and comparing them to the position in question.   View Answer

Relay for Life Manager Interview

Relay for Life Manager

I applied online and interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details – Quick response to resume, began with a phone interview and online personal assessment, Within 2 weeks I was contacted for a 2nd interview. Every person I spoke to seemed to genuinely care about the comapny and seeking a person with the same passion.

Interview Question – Many scenario type questions: If you had to handle an volunteer that.... What would you do?   Answer Question

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Patient Resource Specialist
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Interview Details – After completing the online application I received a phone call from the HR department to confirm my interest in the position and to give further information on the position and get some basic questions out of the way. By the end of the call, which took about 30 minutes depending on your questions, an in-person interview was scheduled within a couple of days.

The in-person interview was pretty comfortable. For the first 30-45 minutes I sat with a current employee to observe and ask any questions. This was nice to get an idea of what a typical day looked like. Afterwards, I then met with my interviewer for another 30-45 minutes.

Interview Question – Explain the process you would go through if a patient calls and does not have insurance and has done nothing else to secure treatment.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Cancer Society