American Cancer Society Interview Questions

2.8

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2011.

I was asked really general questions that just required going over my work history and digging for the reasons why I would like to join a non-profit organization like ACS. I found the interview process very straightforward actually and it was certainly the easiest one I've gone through.

No negotiation

Senior Manager, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

They start with a phone interview asking questions about your management style. If you are selected, you have an in-person interview with the hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Very vague questions over the phone so it was hard to answer because there are so many possible answes   Answer Question

Community Events Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2014.

One day after submitting the application I received a screener for personality/skills test. The day after, I received a request for a phone screener, and three days after the screener received an email stating that the organization was not considering me for the position.

Interview Questions
    • If a large donor came to you crying, and told you that a family member was diagnosed with cancer - what would you do? Most other questions appeared to be the same questions re-phased - all related to working with volunteers - with slight twists.   Answer Question

Community Representative Interview

Set up interview via email. I was called by interviewer and asked a number of questions. Interview was recorded.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions about how one motivates others and about cultural issues and motivation   Answer Question

Senior Director, Partner Relationships Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

interviewed at American Cancer Society in December 2010.

The hiring and review process was very thorough and beneficial, to both the candidate and ACS. I needed to really do a lot of soul searching during the process and it made it a wonderful experience. Rush decisions are not made - there is a focus on making sure a right fit is made -for both parties.

Income Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2009.

Initial phone interview with HR, 1:1 interview with Director, Job offer from Director. Interviews are behavioral question based.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a situation where you made a mistake. How did you handle the situation & correct the issue.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer, co-worker, etc. How did you influence the situation & have a positive outcome?   Answer Question

Donation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I applied for a Donation Specialist because my friend worked there and told me about a position opening. So I applied online at Cancer.org.

Once they reviewed my application, a recruiter called me and did a small phone interview (asking why I want to work for the company and what my goals are) and told me information about the position.

Once that was passed, I had interviewed with two people in person. At first, they set you up with someone who does the job so you can get a hands on experience on what you'll have to do. It was nice to see because the job description online doesn't explain much. Also, it helps with interview questions. After shadowing a person, I had interviewed with the supervisors. They mostly asked behavioral questions and they wanted elaborate answers.

Interview Questions
    • When given a question, answer with: what happened, who was involved, and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate pay, but I was happy with what they offered me. They also allowed me to choose my schedule.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2009.

Phone screen and panel interview

No negotiation on salary

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Long interview process - phone screen, phone interview with hiring manager, panel interview, then finally an offer. Took two to three weeks for the process and lots of awkward moments at former job.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for us instead of another nonprofit?   Answer Question
    Able to negotiate, would definitely not just accept first offer.

Director Interview

Half behavioral questions/half technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What Would The Person Who Likes You Least In The World Say About You?   Answer Question
    straightforward