American Cancer Society Interview Questions & Reviews

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online and got an email the next day requesting me to take a candidate questionnaire. The questionnaire was all multiple choice questions asking how you would deal with volunteers and chair members in various circumstances to assess your work style. The answer choices were a little limited or sometimes two answers would have worked for the same volunteer. I would have preferred a short answer survey to customize my responses but I suppose its much faster to sift through multiple choice answers.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all along the same lines - just testing your leaderships skills in various settings.   Answer Question

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

Very responsive! Lots of situational questions

Interview Questions
    • It is sometimes difficult to answer certain situational questions since the structure of the organization is unfamiliar   Answer Question
    Make it personal!

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I was contacted via email for a phone interview. The interviewer called over an hour early, I asked to call her back in 10 or so minutes (so I could leave work and be in a quiet location), but she didn't answer. I left a message, and she called me back after about 20 minutes. The interview consisted of quite a few "what would you do if...." questions, and took about an hour. She said that I would receive contact from the hiring manager whether they were interested or not (which I appreciate!), but I didn't hear back. I assume they were not interested.

Interview Questions
    • If a volunteer came to you and was upset that a family member had just been diagnosed with cancer, how would you react to this?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2013.

Applied through the ACS website and received an email for a phone interview with recruiter within 2-3 weeks. The recruiter interview was used to gauge my interest in the position and to gauge salary expectations. About 10 days later I received an appointment for a panel interview.

The process is fast, if they like what you have to offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. They presented detailed information about the position at the interview and then asked questions from there vetting experiences and comparing them to the position in question.   View Answer

Relay for Life Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Quick response to resume, began with a phone interview and online personal assessment, Within 2 weeks I was contacted for a 2nd interview. Every person I spoke to seemed to genuinely care about the comapny and seeking a person with the same passion.

Interview Questions
    • Many scenario type questions: If you had to handle an volunteer that.... What would you do?   Answer Question

Patient Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

After completing the online application I received a phone call from the HR department to confirm my interest in the position and to give further information on the position and get some basic questions out of the way. By the end of the call, which took about 30 minutes depending on your questions, an in-person interview was scheduled within a couple of days.

The in-person interview was pretty comfortable. For the first 30-45 minutes I sat with a current employee to observe and ask any questions. This was nice to get an idea of what a typical day looked like. Afterwards, I then met with my interviewer for another 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the process you would go through if a patient calls and does not have insurance and has done nothing else to secure treatment.   Answer Question

Specialist, Community Events Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlantic City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Atlantic City, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2013.

Filling a questionnaire that took about 20 to 30 mins.

Interview Questions
    • No it was not difficult neither unexpected.   View Answer

Volunteer Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

First online, then 2 phone interviews, next face to face. Many weeks until offer was made.

Interview Questions
    The original amount I was offered was not the same when I received paperwork. I had to negotiate for amount that was originally offered.

Epidemiologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Pretty simple and straight forward. If the hiring manager likes your CV you will be invited for a phone interview and if that goes well then for an in person interview. After that your references will be called and then an offer will be extended. The tricky part is figuring out how much to ask for and the negotiation part can be difficult. The pay bands here are very wide (in some instances more than 50K) so you have to think carefully about how much you will ask for because of course they would prefer to pay you less. My advice would be to reach out to colleagues who may have more information about this.

Interview Questions
    • Anticipate technical questions regarding epi and biostats but if you are prepared you should do fine.   Answer Question

Communications and Marketing Director Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Apply on-line. Interview over Skype with multiple recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • As we are unsure of the geographic territory or whom you will be directly reporting to at this time, how comfortable are you working remotely as we are building the plane as we are flying it?   Answer Question