American Cancer Society

2.8

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2013.

Applied through the ACS website and received an email for a phone interview with recruiter within 2-3 weeks. The recruiter interview was used to gauge my interest in the position and to gauge salary expectations. About 10 days later I received an appointment for a panel interview.

The process is fast, if they like what you have to offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. They presented detailed information about the position at the interview and then asked questions from there vetting experiences and comparing them to the position in question.   View Answer

Communications and Marketing Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Apply on-line. Interview over Skype with multiple recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • As we are unsure of the geographic territory or whom you will be directly reporting to at this time, how comfortable are you working remotely as we are building the plane as we are flying it?   Answer Question

Endurance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Great interview. Was asked to present a one minute speech about the program to confirm my ease with public speaking. Asked about recruiting and sales experience. Overall a very comfortable environment where I was able to confirm my qualifications for the position .

Interview Questions
    • One minute presentation selling the program to "participants"   Answer Question
    No negotiation necessary. Salary was fair for the position.

Part-time Coordinator Hope Lodge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

I was first contacted by a member of HR from ACS headquarters in Atlanta. This HR member knew nothing about the actual position when I asked her questions, so then the director of the Hope Lodge facility contacted me. She then scheduled a phone interview with me, which consisted of her asking me about my strengths, weaknesses, personal experience, inspiring moment at my previous job, and a time in which I had difficulties at my previous job but was successful. From there she let me ask questions regarding Hope Lodge and the position. At the end of the phone interview we scheduled an in person interview for the next week. At the face-to-face interview we went over my resume, we took a tour of the facilities, we talked about the pay/time commitment, and then I was allowed to ask more questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question to answer was: "Why are you the best candidate for this position?". The unexpected question was: "If a volunteer or other employee blamed you for something you did not do, how would you address the situation?".   Answer Question
    I was asked how much I made at my previous job. I was then told the highest they were able to give for the position was $0.75 less than I was making per hour. I accepted despite this, and at the end it came out to a less than $0.50 pay cut.

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

Applied online. Process lasted approximately 6 weeks. Only 1 interview. I was brought in for an interview, but then told I didn't have enough experience for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about the organization, their mission, and the specific event.   Answer Question

Special Events Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

To complete my undergraduate degree, I needed to undergo a full-time internship in my field. In late June, I emailed a woman in the office that I wanted to work in. Mind you, I was looking for an internship in the Spring, so I was WAY ahead of time, hence the 3 month process. In the beginning of August, I emailed my contact their again (as it seems she may have forgotten). She gave me the option to choose between the Special Event Internship or the Social Media Internship. I chose Special events and honestly had to continue to remind them that I was interested. Soon,a woman called me and wanted to bring me in to ask a few questions. The interview process was very easy. No difficult questions, all the standard "tell me about yourself, " "Why ACS?" and "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" My biggest advice would be to start contacting them early-nothing seems to move very fast in this office. Overall, this has been a rewarding, eye-opening, and stereotypical internship. Yes, they send me to pick up their lunch and run errands with no pay or gas mileage reimbursement. i have enjoyed my time here, but am very much against the unpaid aspect. I have to babysit 3 nights a week to barely survive!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Interns are unpaid.

Account Representative, Hospital Systems Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Initial contact was via e-mail to set up a phone interview. Telephone interview was between 20-30 minutes. The questions that were asked were more action based for example what would you do in particular situations.

Relay for Life Specialist and Community Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

I have interview for four positions with ACS. All of the questions were situation (tell me about a time when...). I have yet to be offered a position. When I asked the Human Resource contact person what I was lacking, each time I am told that I interviewed very well, but the hiring manager chose a person who already lived in the area/community. But, that I should keep applying, as ACS is re-organizing and there will be many more opportunities available.

I have over ten years experience in public outreach experience, where most of the time I was the new person. I am incredibly acclimated to introducing myself to new people, understanding their perspectives and assisting them to reach their goals. All of which I have been able to share in my interviews by answering they situation questions.

If ACS is only interested in selecting candidates who already live in the area/community, please do not interview candidates who are interested in relocating. It only frustrates these candidates, who more than likely have been personally touched by cancer, believe in the ACS mission and/or who have a strong desire to drawn on their experiences to further ACS goals.

Community Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Had to go through 6 interviews before I got the job

There was none

Community Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Phone Interview followed by an personality test. Afterwards a panel interview with 3 managers. Mostly situational questions.