American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society Relay for Life Manager Interview Questions

3.2

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Relay for Life Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Quick response to resume, began with a phone interview and online personal assessment, Within 2 weeks I was contacted for a 2nd interview. Every person I spoke to seemed to genuinely care about the comapny and seeking a person with the same passion.

Interview Questions
  • Many scenario type questions: If you had to handle an volunteer that.... What would you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Cancer Society

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in January 2010.

After applying online, I was contacted for a phone interview, than a face-to-face interview. Soon after, they offered me the position I am currently holding.

Did not negotiate

Relay for Life Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Cancer Society in June 2009.

Hiring process was done via the phone and then in person.

A lot of red tape

they don't negotiate

Relay for Life Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in November 2012.

You can ONLY apply through their website. If you go to a local office, they will accept your resume and direct you to the website to apply, but your resume will not be passed on. If you know a current employee, they can recommend you, but special treatment will not be given. They will keep an eye out for your application, but you will be selected for an interview based on the same criteria as other applicants.
    The first round is a phone interview with a recruiter. They will ask questions to clarify things on your resume or get more details about certain experience as well as why you are leaving your current job. They will also ask about willingness to travel and unusual/long hours. If you answer that you aren't flexible or don't want to work too many nights or weekends, you won't hear back. You will also be asked to complete a long online personality test to judge your compatibility with the position. The test is one used very frequently by hiring managers and unless you are rather dense, it's pretty easy to figure out which answers will behoove you.
    After that round you will be brought in to an in person interview with the hiring manager and another supervisor. ACS uses the STAR interview system which is broken in to sections. The first section is background. Things like, "Tell us about your biggest failure or weakness." This is a good opportunity to talk about overcoming a difficulty (never say you have no weakness or failures) For the second section they will talk about you as you relate to the job. Be prepared to answer questions like, "Tell us about a time you had a conflict at work and how it was resolved" or "Describe a time you were overwhelmed at work. How did you handle this?" The third section is very job specific. Why you are interested, what do you hope to get from the job, how long you would like to stay, etc. They will give you an opportunity to ask questions. The last section is brief and mostly about what you want from your future. Where do you see yourself in five years, what is your dream job. This is when they will ask about salary expectations.
    For certain positions (specifically, Relay positions) you will be asked a lot about your willingness to work long and unusual hours (nights, weekends, short notice) and the same rules apply as the phone interview - be flexible or you're out. They also talk a lot about "follow-through" and "accountability." Your answers to those questions are very important.

Interview Questions
    • I was very familiar with the STAR system, but if you are not the questions may catch you off guard. A quick internet search will return dozens of sample STAR questions so you understand what types of answers to prepare.   Answer Question
    I was given a verbal offer over the phone from the recruiter who performed my phone interview. I accepted the offer as-is (I had discussed salary requirements in the interviews and the offer was satisfactory). I was told that the offer was conditional based on the results of my background check and that they would contact me when it was complete. The recruiter asked if I intended to accept pending the clear background check and I told her yes. We discussed my possible start date and she told me she would contact me with the results. Within a few days I received my hard copy offer and accepted.
    I did not negotiate my package, however I did negotiate my start date (I needed to start later than they requested) and they were relatively accommodating. My offer was amended to reflect the new date.