American Cancer Society

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

First is a phone interview with HR, general questions and to see if you are a good fit. Second interview will be with your direct manager and the third and final interview is a panel interview.

Interview Questions
  • The final panel interview was the most difficult as you are drilled with questions by 4 separate people.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Cancer Society

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The process took about 4 weeks. I put in an application online and a day or so later I was emailed the questionnaire. A week after that, I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward and consisted solely of situational questions. Less than a week later I was contacted by the hiring manager to have an in-person interview, which was very relaxed. Six days later I interviewed with the hiring manager and his boss.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southfield, MI

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in October 2014.

Online questionairre and 45-60 minute phone interview. Basically a personality test online and a "What would you do?" on a very lengthy phone interview where questions are read, dryly, in a robotic voice, with no further explanation. The interviewer and the recruiter are in two different states and had time zone issues. Therefore, they had major communication breakdowns. So one had my interview scheduled for 10am and one had it schefuled for 11am. Neither one apologized for the mix up and kept calling and emailing me mixed messages about the time mix up. I felt both blamed me for their communication breakdown issues. It was as if I lost the job before I even had the chance based on the interview time mix-up they had between the two of them that I was caught up in the middle. Most annoying interview process, ever. Adding insult to injury no one even bothered to take the time to email me a rejection and thanks for applying but... They just simply blew me off!

Interview Questions
    • What do you do with a volunteer who is exceeding all goals and expectations?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in May 2014.

First, I applied to several locations through the ACS website. After applying online, I was sent a multiple choice questionnaire with situational leadership questions. The survey was pretty straight forward, asking about how you might handle certain situations with volunteers, event chairs, etc. It helps to know about the structure of a Relay for Life event. This lasted less than 30 minutes.

A few days after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview had questions similar to the online questionnaire, but allowed for a lot more open response. It was clearly scripted and felt a little robotic, but again, pretty straight forward. Questions centered mostly around "What would you do if..." It helps to have examples of how you have worked with conflict, volunteers, and accountability in the past. During this interview, we also discussed the specific locations, more details about the position, and a salary range. At this point, the recruiter decided which location we would be moving forward with out of the ones I applied for. This interview lasted about an hour.

A week later, I was contacted by a regional manager for another phone interview. This one started off with more questions about the position with regards to the specific office. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and was a lot more personal than the first phone interview. She asked about why I wanted to apply, why I thought I was the best for the position, and about situations where I had used specific skills. She tailored her questions to my previous job, so it was much less awkward to answer than the first interview which was more scripted.

A few days later, the regional manager reached out to schedule a face-to-face interview. This lasted just under an hour, and we discussed how I would handle certain issues that had come up in the past relay cycle. I would say this was the most relaxed of all the interviews. I got the impression it was more of a "fit" interview with a few follow-up questions based on my phone interview with her.

Within a few days, the recruiter called me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • An event chair and a logistics chair have been butting heads all year long. Now, the logistics chair emails you and CCs the event chair- she's done with the drama. She wants to take all her sponsors, and everything she has locked down to another Relay event, but she can't work with your event chair and your event any longer. How do you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    • MANY MANY MANY situational questions. Be prepared with specific examples of past experiences of dealing with conflict, and be ready to think on your feet.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

The first step is to apply online. After applying online, I was immediately sent a questionnaire that asked behavioral questions on how I would handle specific situations I might come across in working for the ACS. If you have leadership skills, or knowledge of the process, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what they're looking for.

About a week after completing the survey, I was contact by a recruiter for a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of questions that were close to those on the questionnaire, along with more information about the position and salary range information.

A week later, I was contacted to do another phone interview with the regional manager for another phone interview. This one consisted of several similar questions, but also much more information about the position and what it would entail. This interview last about 45 minutes. At the end of the interview, the manager asked me to come in for a "meeting" to meet her and other who worked in the office. This meeting took place a week after the phone interview, and last about an hour.

I received an offer for the position later that same day.

Interview Questions
    • An organizational change occurs that you don't necessarily agree with, how do you get volunteers to buy into it?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

Applied online and got an email the next day requesting me to take a candidate questionnaire. The questionnaire was all multiple choice questions asking how you would deal with volunteers and chair members in various circumstances to assess your work style. The answer choices were a little limited or sometimes two answers would have worked for the same volunteer. I would have preferred a short answer survey to customize my responses but I suppose its much faster to sift through multiple choice answers.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all along the same lines - just testing your leaderships skills in various settings.   Answer Question

Relay for Life Specialist Interview

Very responsive! Lots of situational questions

Interview Questions
    • It is sometimes difficult to answer certain situational questions since the structure of the organization is unfamiliar   Answer Question
    Make it personal!

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Cancer Society.

I was contacted via email for a phone interview. The interviewer called over an hour early, I asked to call her back in 10 or so minutes (so I could leave work and be in a quiet location), but she didn't answer. I left a message, and she called me back after about 20 minutes. The interview consisted of quite a few "what would you do if...." questions, and took about an hour. She said that I would receive contact from the hiring manager whether they were interested or not (which I appreciate!), but I didn't hear back. I assume they were not interested.

Interview Questions
    • If a volunteer came to you and was upset that a family member had just been diagnosed with cancer, how would you react to this?   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society in September 2013.

Applied online. Process lasted approximately 6 weeks. Only 1 interview. I was brought in for an interview, but then told I didn't have enough experience for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about the organization, their mission, and the specific event.   Answer Question

Specialist, Relay for Life Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Cancer Society.

Basic interview process. Initial screening through national office then sent to local office. Went through my resume line by line, asking how each individual experience / job related to working with ACS. Be prepared for almost no negotiation on salary, as they're determined to save as much money paying lower level employees to pad executive salaries.

No negotiation. They paid the minimum possible and would not budge.