American Cellular

Candidate Interview Review

Sales Consultant/Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Cellular in May 2012.

I was initially very excited about applying for a position here because they are an independent retailer of a wireless carrier I had just worked for over the last 3 years in another state and I had such a great experience with.I had started as a sales consultant and worked my way to management.While I had a preference to stay in management, starting again as a sales consultant would have been no problem whatsoever.When I arrived I was dressed professionally,was very friendly and excited with resume in hand.I felt confident but I knew this job wasn't going to just be handed to me and I was prepared to defend and share my qualifications.The first person I talked to was the ASM and she took my resume and sounded very interested in setting up an interview for me to meet with the store manager.However, the store manager was out of state on vacation for the next week but assured me that she would get in touch.No problem!Well, instead of a week,it ended up being two due to the store being exceptionally busy and every time they had said they would call by the end of the day,they never did.I understand that businesses get busy and I remained patient.When I finally got an interview with the store manager,she was very excited and impressed.She said she would like to set up an interview for me with her district manager because she felt I may even be best suited for a management position and that she'd follow up with me the next day about when that would take place.A few days went by and no call so I did a follow-up call just to try to find out what the next step would be since I hadn't gotten a call.I again talked with the Assistant Store Manager I first spoke to and she said they have been unable to reach their DM but assured me that they are still VERY interested in having me and that I should be patient.A week went by and then another week.I followed up again and still no word from the DM yet they keep telling me they are "VERY interested.Please be patient with us."Finally after a MONTH from my first interview I have an interview with the DM but I need to drive to a store about 40 minutes away as it turns out that would be the store they are looking to fill positions for.Okay,I have no problem with travel.So I go and I wait.It doesn't seem to be overly busy;they have a few customers but more than enough staff.I did notice that when customers walked-in they weren't always greeted and a couple of the associates quietly argued over who should help the customer("Why didn't you greet them?" "I'm finishing the paperwork.")all while the customer stood a few feet away waiting for service before one of them finally offered assistance.No one looked particularly happy and everyone was absorbed into what they were doing.20 minutes after scheduled interview we're finally meeting.She seems nice, friendly and interested at first.She explains how she would like the store manager of this location to also sit in but she is busy with a customer service issue at the moment so she would catch up with us later.She asks some standard interview questions and then some specific to the business and my qualifications on my resume.After awhile,she seems to consistently talk about performance and sales incentives and drills the performance HARD.Okay,I have performance reports from the last place I worked that shows my sales plan and goals and my ACTUAL sales for those months which were consistently over my goals.I also mention my references and contacts which could also testify to my performance.She still seems to be drilling it hard and almost sounds condescending like I do not understand, however,I maintain my professionalism and keep assuring her and showing her my capabilities.At the end, the store manager briefly catches up with us and the DM says that they will discuss it together and give me a call by the end of the week.I should also mention, that the DM said that they are looking for a full-time sales consultant but that they aren't seeking any management at this time and were unaware of the remark the store manager from the other store location made to me about management. However, I told them I am more than happy with a full-time sales consultant role and that I was just confused as to what exactly they were seeking because it was unclear from the last manager I had talked to.Two weeks went by again and no call.I felt like my time and my qualifications weren't taken seriously and that I was led on.Much later I received a voicemail from them simply saying they had filled the full-time position but were possibly looking to fill a part-time position soon and would call me back for a follow up interview next week.They never called me again and this time I didn't waste my time, efforts or breath in giving them yet another follow up call or visit.I was very disappointed and angry with the lack of professionalism and courtesy American Cellular had with me, a POTENTIAL employee.It's a shame but it's their loss and their competitor's gain!

Interview Questions