American Century

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Investment Analyst Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Century.

Interview Details – on campus interview process. first round was panel interview (2 PMs) on campus. second round was final round, 2 day process in KC with other intern candidates. interviews were all day with PMs and Analysts

Interview Question – be prepared with market knowledge and stock pitches, at least two strong stock pitches (in case you interview with a value or growth team) and a solid third pitch.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – intern offer not negotiable

Investment Representative Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Century in September 2010.

Interview Details – First they call you for a phone screening. Then if you pass that, they bring you in to pass a quick typing and computer skills test. After that you interview with a few managers, and do a sit-in visit with someone that does your job.
They'd like to do it all in one day, but you can spread it out over a few days.

Interview Question – They ask the basic, "tell me about a time when you....." situation questions.
They'll also ask you how you deal with difficult clients
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Most start at a certain salary, and there is very little room for negotiation. I countered their offer, and they came up a little, but they hire so often that someone will take the first offer most of the time, as it's entry level.

MBA Summer Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Century in January 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview for NYC office. Interviewer was friendly despite having obviously had to speak with multiple people over the course of the day. Really quite impressed by description of the organization and natural flow of the conversation. Would recommend.

Interview Question – Why us?   Answer Question

Applications Developer Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Century.

Interview Details – Applied via university career website and was contacted by hr manager within days. I was asked to complete a video recorded interview that was basically behavioral type questions and after that was a phone interview by the IT director which was straight forward technical questions about your past projects, programming strengths and willingness to learn. Next step was a face to face interview with different IT managers at the headquarters in KC...lovely place and very accommodating people in general.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, know your resume and projects you've completed in the past because you will be questioned based on your experience so as to fit you with the best team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, accepted what was offered.

Client Services Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and interviewed at American Century.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR person mostly behavioral questions based on your resume. Second interview is with manager and essentially follows the same line as the first interview. You are also asked to take a typing test as well as a technology proficiency test.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed at something and how did you respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for an internship.

Programmer Analyst Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at American Century.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews and was offered the job on the second interview. First interview included 3 employees and second was just the with one person that offered the job.

Interview Question – I hate the question where do you want to be in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me what money I needed. I told them. They gave me an offer. I accepted.

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Century in November 2010.

Interview Details – The process was very professional. A human resources representative made all the arrangements and handled initial introductions. They flew me in and arranged for my transportation from the airport. I had a full itinerary ahead of the trip so I knew the names and titles of everyone that I was going to meet. I met with 7 people total for about 45 minutes for each interview. One was with the hiring manager, one with the human resources representative, 2 with other members of the investment team, one with a member of another investment team, and one with the head of the department. The hiring manager also took me out to lunch. Each of the investment teams seem to have their own culture and way of doing things. They are very autonomous and teams within a similar product group may have a slightly different process and use different tools. However, all the teams seem very collaborative and collegial. It is a first class organization that truly values its people.

Interview Questions

Branch Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at American Century.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process could include a required online profile, internal review of applicant pool by Human Resources, phone screen by a decision maker, face to face interview with hiring manager, and possibly another decision maker (peer of hiring manager, supervisor, director, peer from team).

Investment Consultant Interview

Investment Consultant

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Century in September 2008.

Interview Details – Liked everyone I met- very "mid-Western" nice. Also a bit old-fashioned and formal, especially coming from working in public companies and/or startups. Met the HR director, my boss and the team. Everyone had standard questions. In retrospect, I fit the mold of what they wanted- age, gender, experience- so the doors were open.

Negotiation Details – No real negotiations- needed the job too badly to risk losing to an aggressive offer situation. Even though I had 3 other job offers, this is the one I wanted.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for American Century? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Century interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Century employees and interview candidates.