American Chemical Society

www.acs.org

American Chemical Society Interview Questions

2.6

Associate Editor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Chemical Society.

Hiring process was straightforward and professionally handled. They made the interview process pleasant and made their decision quickly. I interviewed with the person who was to be my boss and with her boss, and they took me around the office to meet a random smattering of other folks. The interview was most about getting to know each other, it didn't feel at all like an exam. That's probably because a collegial and friendly work environment is prioritized, and I wouldn't have gotten the interview if they weren't pretty sure I was qualified to do the work.

Interview Questions
    • Not unexpected exactly, but they asked if I was detail oriented and meant it. Every employer asks that question, but usually it's just a filler/screening question like "have you every been convicted of a crime."   Answer Question
    This was a bit icky. They made me "negotiate" for a benefit that's given automatically to all employees in my work group, and as a result I made less effort to negotiate on other parts of the compensation. I feel that I got duped and am concerned that it will effect my salary history for years to come. Management later apologized for that (it may have been HR's doing), but hasn't done anything to redress it.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at American Chemical Society.

couple phone calls and 2 in person interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Chemical Society in April 2013.

Interview was less than an hour with 2 different PMs. One PM was instrumental in questioning me on real world experience. The other PM was asking questions more so to almost entertain his knowledge rather than to gain knowledge of what i knew.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Chemical Society in March 2013.

Phone interview set up via staffing agency. They didn't provide much of a job description, but the hiring manager didn't skip a beat and let me know what she was looking for and why my resume caught her eye. We set up an in person interview, where she showed me some examples of marketing pieces that we had similar thoughts on.

Difficult negotiation, but worth it.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Chemical Society in June 2012.

Applied on line and heard from their HR dept. after two weeks to set up a time for a phone screen with HR. Took numerous calls and emails to confirm a time that they would call me for the initial phone screen and when the time came, they were 20 minutes late for the call. Made the excuse that lunch ran late. (Scheduled time was for 2pm...late lunch indeed). Initial phone screen went well and was brought in for face to face interview with hiring manager the following week. That interview went really well and met with HR before I left the interview and they said they would get back to me within the next week to confirm when I could be brought back to interview with the President of the company. That was over two months ago and I still have yet to hear back from ACS. I even sent an email after two weeks and never got a response back from HR. This is clearly an unprofessional company where people go "to die" and are not interested in professionalilsm or advancement. They seem complacent and uninterested in their jobs. A lot of life timers here, which is part of the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions surrounding "difficult" staff and how you would handle them.   View Answer

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at American Chemical Society in December 2011.

The recruiter was very lax, which was the tone of all the interactions I had with ACS. The recruiter was not timely or friendly and the HR department and hiring directors were very inappropriate in front of me in the in person interviews. I had written them off even before the offer letter came. I knew I would not want to work for such a place. I've never seen "professionals" act so inappropriately before. This was probably the worst, most unfriendly recruiter I've ever interacted with.

Interview Questions
    • How would you compensate for the lack of knowledge you have in ACS operations over the internal candidate we are considering.   Answer Question

I had written them off even before the offer letter came. I knew I would not want to work for such a place. I've never seen "professionals" act so inappropriately before. This was probably the worst, most unfriendly recruiter I've ever interacted with. I did not want to be part of a company like this.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Chemical Society in January 2011.

Internal interview. Process takes forever. Organization cannot get act together to make up mind. Online application tool is a joke. Makes ACS look bad. HR is barely competent. Polite on phone and in email, don"t seem to have a clue otherwise. Job description detailed, but no one communicated consistently. Different stories from different people. Sounded like an organization that did not have act together.

Program Assistant Interview

HR calls you first, does a short phone screening. Then you are called in (if selected) for an interview. Each department is different, but I only interviewed with one person and then came back a second time to interview with the director of the department.

Human Resources Business Partner Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Chemical Society in January 2011.

Formal process through Senior HR Manager and staff. Final with Director, Human Resources.

Very casual. I spoke with the HR Business Partner for HR. We talked about salary and start date.

Membership Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Chemical Society in December 2010.

Interviewers were very detailed - offered more information to applicant during the process as opposed to applicant responses. Interviewed with both individuals and groups - would advised applicants to be ready for questions unrelated to position.

Did not negotiate salary - although the option to negotiate would probably have been entertained by hiring officials.