American City Business Journals Interview Questions

2.6

Associate Editor Interview

Interview

A series of phone calls and in-person interviews: first with managing editor, then with both EIC and ME, then with publisher and deputy ME, then with a third-party personality-testing service that asks open-ended questions, then with corporate. Can be stretched out.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in April 2014.

Interview

Had an in person, introductory interview with the hiring manager. Was advised that a followup, technical interview with the team would be next, some time in the following couple weeks. A day or two later I sent a follow up email and said I was looking forward to the next meeting. Lots of communication up until the interview to confirm that I wasn't going to miss the appointment. After the interview none. I never heard from them again. No response to my followup email; no second interview. About a month later I noticed the job posting had been removed from the careers section of their web page, presumably it had been filled.

Interview Questions

• Very casual interview, nothing unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American City Business Journals (Dayton, OH).

Interview

I applied for a job at Dayton Business Journal and went through three interviews, meeting three different people in the process. Everyone was very nice and the interviews were a bit too easy. No typical interview questions were asked, and actually some personal questions were asked. I was made to think that I was a top candidate, as I was one of two making it to the final interview. One person who interviewed me told me upfront that he felt if I invested my time in coming down to talk to them, that they owed me a response either way. After the 3rd interview, I was told they would make a decision that week. I never heard back. The last interviewer actually responded to my thank you email, saying it was nice to meet me and they would get back to me end of week. About a week later I emailed her again to follow up. She did not respond. I noticed they re-posted this job on a job board. Feeling quite challenged for an answer, I called their office several times and no one answered. I decided to reapply, and as soon as I did, within hours I received an email stating they chose another applicant. I am very disappointed in the time I invested and the lack of professionalism from this company that is so involved in our community.

Editorial Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at American City Business Journals.

Interview

The interview process at ACBJ can be long, as it works hard to find the right people to fit into its organization. I had a brief phone interview plus three somewhat long in-person interviews. You also will be asked to take a Kenexa interview so they can see if you fit the mold of successful ACBJ employees.

Advertising Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American City Business Journals (San Antonio, TX) in August 2013.

Interview

Hiring process was very thorough. There was an initial screening interview, then after several weeks of waiting for a new senior executive to join the company, we had a second interview. It was disappointing to be left to wait in the lobby for twenty minutes. That should have been a red flag. As it turned out, the hiring manager is late for every appointment, even with customers.

Interview Questions

• The hiring manager didn't ask any thought-provoking questions; softballs. The senior executive askes me to describe would I would do in the first 4 weeks of employment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I would encourage a candidate to study the potential of the assigned business categories. I was assigned low value categories on the assumption there would be equity across sales positions. Bad assumption.

Market Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American City Business Journals (Charlotte, NC) in January 2012.

Interview

Either a cattle call or through a temp agency

Interview Questions

• You are brought into senior managers and asked to "sell them" right on the spot.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Base is higher when you come through a temp agency, then they lower it to $11.25/hr + commission and bonus when you are full time

Director of Sales & Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American City Business Journals (Raleigh, NC) in December 2010.

Interview

I attended an event in the past for job seekers, and received an email invitation to select a time to interview with a four line descriptor about the job. There were two options, one in the morning and one at noon, limit 20 applicants per time slot. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperating and the two cattle calls were moved to noon. An hour later, I had my interview, which was interrupted. The interview was with the Regional Circulation Director and the incoming Publisher, who was replacing his position. The interview was pretty standard - tell me about yourself, what brought you here kinds of questions. The focus was on sales, and not on marketing, although one of the goals is to increase circulation using evnets as a platform.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people?   1 Answer

Advertising Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American City Business Journals in March 2009.

Interview

In person meeting