American Civil Liberties Union

Relevance Date Difficulty

Legal Assistant Interview

Legal Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in August 2010.

Interview Details – just one interview, met with 3 interviewers with whom I would eventually work. They were friendly and asked good, relevant questions. Be prepared to ask a couple questions yourself.

Negotiation Details – yes--on the job description, not salary

Law Clerk Interview

Law Clerk

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

Interview Details – The initial communications were done via email with the legal director to set the interview time and also send updated copies of resume and writing samples. The interview was done at the office in the work area you will be working. It was very informal with both attorneys that work there. They seemed to care more about whether you are a good fit and would enjoy working on the type of legal issues they work on and odd clientele. During the interview they showed me the types of cases they were handling and the somewhat odd and to some disturbing clients and asked if I would be comfortable representing them and their views. Other than that they went over my resume and ask about my prior experience.

Interview Question – Would you be comfortable representing the clients we work for (i.e. the KKK) and whether their views would have an effect on your work product?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Washington, DC

I applied through other source - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in May 2013.

Interview Details – Emailed my application materials and received a phone call the next day to schedule telephone interview. First phone interview was with the current assistant who was leaving; unique opportunity to ask questions and get insight of the outgoing support person. Next phone interview was with the associate attorney. Later had in-person interview, first with the departing employee and then separately with the senior and associate attorneys.

Interview Question – Questions weren't necessarily difficult or unexpected, but somewhat unfocused. This was their first time interviewing/hiring for a paralegal as opposed to general admin. support, and I wasn't sure that they knew exactly what they wanted.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in January 2012.

Interview Details – I sent an email to the intern coordinator asking about opportunities and complimenting a recent public affairs campaign. She emailed back asking about my experience and we emailed briefly. I was invited for a quick interview and got a summer internship. It was a lot of fun and a great work environment. Wish they had more funding though.

Interview Question – Are you a civil libertarian? and if so, why?   Answer Question

Clerk Interview

Clerk

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

Interview Details – They draw candidates from local schools and post open positions on the website. Going into the interview the most important thing is to know the website. Know which issues are current, which cases are on the legal docket and which events are coming up. This organization is looking to people committed to a cause, not just looking for paycheck, so conveying your dedication to civil liberties is very important.

Interview Question – We see you don't have much political experience on your resume. I used that opportunity to talk more about how I had to work for pay in college and couldn't take on the unpaid work I would have liked to, and that I also did not care for working for political parties, but did stay involved with specific causes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Video Producer Interview

Video Producer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in June 2010.

Interview Details – The ACLU, like many organizations, want to see and understand that the people they hire are committed to their cause. In your resume highlight your non-profit or civil rights experience and have a few stories to tell about why this is so important to you. The more personal the story, the better. At the end of the day the ACLU doesn't pay a lot, but they need good, qualified people who want to be there. Show them that person is you.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for ACLU? What does it mean to you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – unpaid

Worked for American Civil Liberties Union? Contribute to the Community!