American Civil Liberties Union

Updated Aug 23, 2014

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Civil Liberties Union

Law Clerk Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

The initial communications were done via email with the legal director to set the interview time and also send updated copies of resume and writing samples. The interview was done at the office in the work area you will be working. It was very informal with both attorneys that work there. They seemed to care more about whether you are a good fit and would enjoy working on the type of legal issues they work on and odd clientele. During the interview they showed me the types of cases they were handling and the somewhat odd and to some disturbing clients and asked if I would be comfortable representing them and their views. Other than that they went over my resume and ask about my prior experience.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be comfortable representing the clients we work for (i.e. the KKK) and whether their views would have an effect on your work product?   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source – interviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in May 2013.

Emailed my application materials and received a phone call the next day to schedule telephone interview. First phone interview was with the current assistant who was leaving; unique opportunity to ask questions and get insight of the outgoing support person. Next phone interview was with the associate attorney. Later had in-person interview, first with the departing employee and then separately with the senior and associate attorneys.

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't necessarily difficult or unexpected, but somewhat unfocused. This was their first time interviewing/hiring for a paralegal as opposed to general admin. support, and I wasn't sure that they knew exactly what they wanted.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in January 2012.

I sent an email to the intern coordinator asking about opportunities and complimenting a recent public affairs campaign. She emailed back asking about my experience and we emailed briefly. I was invited for a quick interview and got a summer internship. It was a lot of fun and a great work environment. Wish they had more funding though.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a civil libertarian? and if so, why?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in January 2011.

Met in main conference room with supervisor. Was very nice. Asked questions about my resume, just wanted to get a feel for who I was. Very encouraging about all aspects of my resume, one of the best interviews I've had. Called back later that day to tell me she enjoyed meeting me and offered me the job.

No negotiation

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in August 2010.

just one interview, met with 3 interviewers with whom I would eventually work. They were friendly and asked good, relevant questions. Be prepared to ask a couple questions yourself.

yes--on the job description, not salary

Clerk Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union.

They draw candidates from local schools and post open positions on the website. Going into the interview the most important thing is to know the website. Know which issues are current, which cases are on the legal docket and which events are coming up. This organization is looking to people committed to a cause, not just looking for paycheck, so conveying your dedication to civil liberties is very important.

Interview Questions
    • We see you don't have much political experience on your resume. I used that opportunity to talk more about how I had to work for pay in college and couldn't take on the unpaid work I would have liked to, and that I also did not care for working for political parties, but did stay involved with specific causes.   Answer Question
    None.

Video Producer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Civil Liberties Union in June 2010.

The ACLU, like many organizations, want to see and understand that the people they hire are committed to their cause. In your resume highlight your non-profit or civil rights experience and have a few stories to tell about why this is so important to you. The more personal the story, the better. At the end of the day the ACLU doesn't pay a lot, but they need good, qualified people who want to be there. Show them that person is you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for ACLU? What does it mean to you?   Answer Question

unpaid