American College of Surgeons

Updated Nov 9, 2014
Updated Nov 9, 2014

3.1

Membership Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American College of Surgeons in October 2014.

The hiring process was lengthy. Take great caution when considering and applying to any positions available in membership and the division of education. The hiring managers were rude, condescending, and did not ask relevant questions that were related to the role. The hiring team rushed through the entire interview (lasting about 25 minutes); the first half of conversation was them trying to figure out what position within membership I actually applied to and the second half of the interview encompassed the hiring leads side-stepping (in a condescending tone) relevant questions that I had - as the interviewee - in regards to the overall health of the division and the culture and climate of working in membership.

Interview Questions
    • There was none. The interviewers were unorganized and cold, and at times, really unprofessional, taking questions that I asked of them in regards to the division, personal (getting defensive).   Answer Question

The overall hiring experience is lengthy and unorganized, with department heads reflecting an attitude of haughtiness when working with their employees. I picked up a bad taste in my mouth just talking to them, and overall felt this would be the true climate of this division.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American College of Surgeons in October 2014.

The interview process was very thorough. The first part was a phone interview with HR. The representative was very knowledgeable about the company and position as well as friendly. The 2nd part was a face to face with managers of the department. They offered great detail about the role and upcoming challenges. The final stage was a face to face with chief of department.

Regulatory and Quality Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American College of Surgeons.

Applied online. HR contacted for a phone interview. Complete phone interview within a few days. Called 3 days later for an in person interview. At the in person interview I met with the the two managers I would be working with. The first interview went well, she explained the position, her role and how this position would be of an assistance. The second manager came in. At first glance she seemed to have made up her mind about me. Throughout the interview she repeatedly asked the same question, without listening to my answer. Then when asked a question, she was rude. After meeting with her, she changed my perspective of this office. As a manager, you should be able to listen, and I could see from the interview I would not be able to work with her from her lack of attention to detail and to someone who would be working with her.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult. Questions asked were normal interview questions.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American College of Surgeons.

Speaking with the talent manager was very relaxed and informative

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing out of the ordinary on the phone interview- just be prepared for the basics. I found myself skipping around my resume a lot to find appropriate answers   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American College of Surgeons.

The interview process was a very basic process. Depending on the department you may have two or three different days that you have to come in for an interview. The first interview is with the Human Resources Department. The second on is with the department manager and the third is with the Administrator or Director of the department or division.

Very simple!

Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American College of Surgeons in April 2014.

The process took about two weeks, was relaxed and enjoyable. The recruiter was very pleasant and easy to talk to. There is an online process, then a phone screen and an in-person interview with hiring/department managers.

SAS Programmer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American College of Surgeons in February 2014.

Brief HR phone screening, then telephone interview, then face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly unusual. Job description was vague as to experience level desired; I spent some time trying to tease out exactly what they wanted.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American College of Surgeons.

I applied online and got phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at American College of Surgeons in January 2010.

Interview was basic. Wanted to know what type of of supervisory experience I expected and was pleased to learn That I preferred a hands off approach. My leader lacked supervisory and interpersonal skills. Open door policy was almost non-existent and received little training.

Manager Member Services Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at American College of Surgeons in August 2008.

Had one interview: first 30 mins with the hiring supervisor, then 20 mins with the Director of department, then 30 mins with the group.

Interview Questions
    • Found several unprofessionally rude, arrogant, and outwardly disapproving. I sent Thank you letters and followed-up via telephone to hiring supervisor several weeks thereafter. She was incredibly rude and laughed as she ruled me out as a candidate.   Answer Question