American Councils for International Education

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the AC website and got the phone interview within 2 weeks I think. There were two-rounds phone interview. after that the HR contacted me told I was given an offer.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC).

Interview

There is a fairly extensive online questionnaire with specific questions that you are never asked about. You get called in for an interview, with your potential work supervisor and their supervisor. I was asked standard interview questions that can be prepared for by reading the job description and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• One question that was very difficult asked me to predict a solution to a problem that I didn't know the company standard operation procedure for (but I was sure existed).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education.

Interview

I submitted an application and was contacted for an interview the following day. There were two rounds of interviews- one with pretty standard questions about my background and suitability for the position, and the second conducted partly in Farsi/Tajik to test my language ability. I heard back from them pretty soon afterward. The interview process was pretty straightforward and quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• How I would support female students dealing with radically different perceptions of gender roles in Tajikistan.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate; I found the contract salary attractive

Coordinator Interview

Interview

The phone interview lasted for 1 hour and they also had reference check.

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC).

Interview

I submitted by application, they replied a few weeks later and invited me to come in to interview.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember specific questions, but remember feeling like some of them were vague. Like, tell me about a time when you were a liaison between disparate parts... what? Some of their questions could have used some fine-tuning.   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Washington, DC) in April 2011.

Interview

Straightforward phone interview. Then in person, with a program manager and senior program officer. Probably 10 questions total. Included short foreign language conversation, to test my current speaking ability. Lastly, conversation about the job specifics.

Interview Questions

• How do I manage multiple tasks. Various hypotheticals.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate. But you should.

Country Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Skopje (Republic of Macedonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Skopje (Republic of Macedonia)) in August 2015.

Interview

The entire process was pretty straightforward and took about 2 and a half weeks. Applied online and was called back for an interview next week. Interview was over Skype with the regional director, basic interview questions on previous professional experience and a couple on personality. After that I was called in for a second interview over Skype with the regional director and a senior director in the organization. The questions were more on behavior and personality this time, and a couple to elaborate on your previous experience. Both interviews were very professional making the interviewing experience quite pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What previous experience prepared you for this position? What achievement are you most proud of? What are/is your competitive advantage(s)? How do you deal with conflict?   Answer Question

FLEX Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education (Kiev (Ukraine)) in May 2013.

Interview

It was a skype call and based on a Behavioral assessment looking at my past experience. Mainly they wanted to know if I was flexible, familiar with logistics of working abroad, could adjust and adapt, and form good working relationships. It was then followed by a language assessment.

Interview Questions

• How have I resolved tension with colleagues in the past?   Answer Question
    • Have I ever struggled to meet a deadline, if so, what did I do?   Answer Question

FLEX Alumni Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Councils for International Education in September 2007.

Interview

A rather simple application that included some questions and also one or two essays. Then a phone interview where questions were asked like "How have you contributed to Future Leaders Exchange?" etc. If you have a strong desire to work, they will hire you even if you don’t have relevant experience yet.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.