American Cruise Lines Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

1.6

Cruise Specialist (Sales) Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview

I was first called into the interview with sales managers and talked about the sales process and previous experience. Afterward I had an interview with the Director of sales and was asked about how I could be an asset to the company. After being offered the position I was told to take a typing test and be over a certain speed and also be able to navigate the website properly.

Steward Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American Cruise Lines in April 2015.

Interview

Upon returning a phone call to ACL, I was asked if I could log onto Skype at that same moment for an interview. The interviewer did not have my resume handy and did not know how I applied. The questions were few, basic, and mostly aimed at explaining the $750-$1000 week average pay the employees made.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any obscene tattoos that may be seen as offensive on your arms?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non negotiable on steward/deckhand wages.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Cruise Lines (Orlando, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview took place in the afternoon and was then notified of a face to face interview the following week.
    The face to face interview was a private interview at a hotel in Orlando, FL.
    It was an informative interview on the position in which I was applying for. The recruiting officer was down to earth and easy to relate to. I enjoyed the interview process.

Cruise Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Cruise Lines (Sandy, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

Easy! Phone screening, in person interview with recruiter, type test, internet test, in person interview with manager, Skype interview with corporate.

Overall, not a bad work environment or bad pay scale. I enjoyed the interview, but ultimately decided that the company was not a good fit for me and declined the offer. I think the company would be a better fit for someone who has little to no sales experience.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guilford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Cruise Lines (Guilford, CT) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview was extremely easy. They require a degree for managers, but you'll find yourself off the boat waiting longer than those with hospitality degrees. They lie about pay and benefits. The whole thing was a huge waste of time. Do not bother. Avoid like the plague.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions of experience   1 Answer

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview

Initial phone interview went over the usual questions and said they would call back in a week to schedule an actual interview, but I never received this phone call. Interviewer sounded unprofessional the entire time speaking on the phone and did not sound like she knew what she was even interviewing me for or anything about the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I was looking for a teaching job or marketing job, even though the job posted was a marketing job and I explained in my cover letter how I am pursuing a marketing career. Once again, interviewer did not seem like she knew what she was doing.   Answer Question

Steward Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call a day later and had a phone interview. Scheduled interview for next day. Drove there. Location was on a busy road and it was easy to get to. The woman I met was very nice and wished she could be one of my managers. Interview went well. I filled out some paperwork and they took copies of my drivers license, ss card. I got info regarding the pay wage and uniform info. Was happy to hear that I can pay for transportation to my port out of my check. Was told I would receive a call on Monday or Tuesday of this week.....it's almost been a week and no call. There is another training scheduled for March 17th in CT and I really want to go. I hope the call soon.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Cruise Lines (Sandy, UT) in February 2014.

Interview

one on one interview
    small search website
    type test

Housekeeping Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was a joke. The person that interviewed me was over 2 hours late and really didn't talk about the job it self. Everything that was said in the interview DID not happen on the ship.

Interview Questions

• There was not a difficult or unexpected question that was ask. The interview person did not know what he was talking about. Could not answer any questions about that happens on the boat or anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation

a joke.... do you want the job??? and I accepted.... wish I never did

Deckhand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guilford, CT

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Cruise Lines (Guilford, CT) in January 2014.

Interview

I'm not from CT and as a result am outside ACL's hiring range, so I knew I'd have to be proactive. I called the HR department starting in October 2013 and was told to check back closer to January 2014. During that time I checked in occasionally just to let them know I was still interested (probably to their annoyance). In late December, I got set up with an interview date in early January 2014. I rented a car and drove out of the grey and industrial rust belt to the lovely hamlet of Guilford, which seems to me like a fairy tale town by comparison.

The interview was very straight-forward. The interviewer was up-front with me about the long hours, pay scale, uniform prices, etc. We had spoken on the phone at some length beforehand so I think it was more a matter of meeting me in person to make sure I wasn't a drug addict or criminal and to verify my MMC, etc. He had me fill out some paperwork and I took a pre-employment drug test right after the interview at a nearby clinic.

Interview Questions

• There were no trick questions for me. Like I said, we had talked on the phone beforehand. He asked me about my current job (I'm a laid-off deckhand for a company that only operates during the warmer months) and responsibilities there. Nothing you wouldn't expect, given the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The deckhand position isn't negotiable, you make a base rate of $30/day, then they guarantee $500/week. Then with the tips the passengers give, apparently the average take per week is between $700-900.