American Cruise Lines

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Steward Interview

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Cruise Lines in June 2010.

Interview Details – Great interview process, was so excited to be part of the company

Interview Question – have you ever sailed the seas   Answer Question

Steward Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview Details – Applied online. Got a call a day later and had a phone interview. Scheduled interview for next day. Drove there. Location was on a busy road and it was easy to get to. The woman I met was very nice and wished she could be one of my managers. Interview went well. I filled out some paperwork and they took copies of my drivers license, ss card. I got info regarding the pay wage and uniform info. Was happy to hear that I can pay for transportation to my port out of my check. Was told I would receive a call on Monday or Tuesday of this week.....it's almost been a week and no call. There is another training scheduled for March 17th in CT and I really want to go. I hope the call soon.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Sandy, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Cruise Lines in February 2014.

Interview Details – one on one interview
small search website
type test

Interview Question – she asked do you have any more questions 14 times   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Guilford, CT

I applied online - interviewed at American Cruise Lines in January 2014.

Interview Details – I'm not from CT and as a result am outside ACL's hiring range, so I knew I'd have to be proactive. I called the HR department starting in October 2013 and was told to check back closer to January 2014. During that time I checked in occasionally just to let them know I was still interested (probably to their annoyance). In late December, I got set up with an interview date in early January 2014. I rented a car and drove out of the grey and industrial rust belt to the lovely hamlet of Guilford, which seems to me like a fairy tale town by comparison.

The interview was very straight-forward. The interviewer was up-front with me about the long hours, pay scale, uniform prices, etc. We had spoken on the phone at some length beforehand so I think it was more a matter of meeting me in person to make sure I wasn't a drug addict or criminal and to verify my MMC, etc. He had me fill out some paperwork and I took a pre-employment drug test right after the interview at a nearby clinic.

Interview Question – There were no trick questions for me. Like I said, we had talked on the phone beforehand. He asked me about my current job (I'm a laid-off deckhand for a company that only operates during the warmer months) and responsibilities there. Nothing you wouldn't expect, given the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The deckhand position isn't negotiable, you make a base rate of $30/day, then they guarantee $500/week. Then with the tips the passengers give, apparently the average take per week is between $700-900.

Housekeeping Manager Interview

Housekeeping Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was a joke. The person that interviewed me was over 2 hours late and really didn't talk about the job it self. Everything that was said in the interview DID not happen on the ship.

Interview Question – There was not a difficult or unexpected question that was ask. The interview person did not know what he was talking about. Could not answer any questions about that happens on the boat or anything.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – a joke.... do you want the job??? and I accepted.... wish I never did

Stewardess Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview Details – Applied online, within a couple of days I received a call for a quick phone interview. It was really easy, mostly just checking on if you were still interested in the job and then setting you up for a 1:1 interview. The in person interview was fairly easy even though the interviewer seemed like he didn't want to be there. He told me that the process was a pass or fail, so as long as you give satisfactory answers you'll move on to the next step which is training.

Now to reiterate what the interviewee below me said: I was told by three different people prior to training that I would go there and leave immediately on a ship or at least a couple days after that. My interviewer specifically told me I had the job. Luckily for me I read this prior to so I didn't hold on to his words too much, but I was also hoping that the one below was just the worst case scenario.

After arriving at training we were told by the instructors that there were no positions open at the time 0__0 and also classes from before us were still waiting to be put on a ship. And again the pass or fail process was implemented. It took everyone there by surprise because a lot of the candidates arrived thinking it was a sure thing. The instructors say that the interviewers would never tell us that, but they did. TO ALL OF US. Also, since it is the winter season a lot of there ships have shut down. So why they keep holding interviews baffles me.

Passing training is extremely easy, everyone in my group made it out alive.

While it is a great opportunity to make some quick money, make sure you don't put all your eggs into this basket if you do apply. Quitting a job to travel across the country to train for a job that you end up getting wait listed for is never okay.

Was told that it could be March before getting a call, so at this point I am no longer interested. To anyone that does apply, good luck and I hope that you all have positive experiences.

Interview Question – There were no tough questions. Just be confident and speak up.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Two months of waiting for placement, I've moved on.

Stewardess Interview

Guilford, CT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Cruise Lines.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call back a few days later. The interview was in Seattle so I was pretty nervous. The interview was actually really relaxed and I wasn't so nervous after talking to the recruiter for a bit and he told me on the spot that I got the job. He wanted to fly me out to Connecticut that following Monday (It was in less than a week!). I was a bit skeptical but went along.

I took 2 plane rides and was driven 3 hours from New York to Connecticut for training. I was then told at training that not all of us would get the job and that some of us would be sent back home. There were 14 people and only 7 positions open. I just want to make this clear because I was under the assumption from the recruiter that I had already been hired on and would go directly to a ship after training but this is not true - only some people wind up going directly to the ship after the training.

Most of the people there seemed inexperienced and young. A lot of them have never been to New York and were overly excited and seemed very sheltered. The people applying for the positions (at least when I was there) were just in it to travel and get away from home. That's the kind of environment you're in during training - don't expect the people there to actually be experienced or too serious about becoming a stewardess.

The training in itself wasn't too bad. You wake up early and are at the training center all day so you don't get much time to yourself. You learn how to properly make a bed, how to set the table for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner and how to take and write orders. It isn't very difficult.

I was one of the ones that winded up not getting to go on a ship directly after training. I was told that I would be placed on a call list meaning they were going to send me home for the time being but they'd call me in a few days up to a few weeks (depending on when a position opened up) and offer me the job. Well they sent me home and it's been almost 2 months and no call so I'm assuming they just forgot about me.

Interview Question – No tough questions.   Answer Question

Guilford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Cruise Lines in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through indeed and was contacted by someone in the main office for an initial phone interview. The conversation went well and I was inviting to interview in person in Connecticut. They spent about a half hour with me telling me as much as they could about the job. They were quite honest about the long hours and life aboard. After the interview I attended training, where they went through the company structure and specific job responsibilities (how to tie a cleat, etc.)

Interview Question – They did not throw any curve balls or try to trap you. It was very conversational and the interview seemed as informative as inquisitory.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The deckhand position is non-negotiable. It is what it is, which is very good. In any of the shipboard positions, you save lots of money because there are zero (literally zero) expenses.

Guilford, CT

Interview Details – Didn't have one...just called me one day for a two day training course in Conn.

Inside Sales Interview

Guilford, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at American Cruise Lines in April 2008.

Interview Details – I responded via the Internet to a posted ad for the Inside Sales postion. I am a seasoned sales professional with both B2B and B2C experience. I received a call from the Sales Manager/Director. My face-to-face was scheduled for later that week, late in the afternoon. The inside slaes department was still working when I left after 6PM. I could hear reps talking on the phone. Whenever they took payment for a cruise, they rang a ship's bell.
That same night I sent the Sales Manager an email removing my application from consideration. A month later, she mailed me a letter telling me I did not get the job. Duh.
CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION: An organization this size requires two human resources staff people - an HR Manager, preferably one who is certified; and, an HR generalist or coordinator. Professional standards recommend the second staff person by the time an organization reaches 85 employees. At this organization there are NO HR staffers; there is NO HR DEPARTMENT.
I was clued into this unfortunate fact during the interview, not only by the tone of the questions but most specifically by the answers to my questions. The Sales Manager could best be described as a street-smart, hard-edged bottle-blond woman of a certain age, someone you'd expect to see sitting on a stool at the far edge of a bar, just before closing.
The "big dollars" are earned in the sales department as a weekly bonus (I recall $200), by whomever makes the most sales in a week. This is usually influenced by how many hours a rep works each week, and which shifts and days. The "producers" get first refusal on the plum shifts and tend to work longer hours. So, they end up with the most sales and the bonuses - not really a fair distribution.
I have seen job postings for the inside sales postion as well as for a sales superrvisor postion numerous times since my interview. This suggests a high turnover rate. Hum...are they just not hiring the right people? Or, are the right people moving on when they get the picture?

Interview Question – How much money do you want to earn?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – See above.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Cruise Lines

Worked for American Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!

American Cruise Lines Videos

American Cruise Lines – Why Work for Us?

American Cruise Lines offers world-class, small ship cruises along the inland waterways and rivers of the United States. From the Mississippi River to New England and Alaska, our modern fleet of ships and paddlewheelers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cruise Lines interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Cruise Lines employees and interview candidates.