American Diabetes Association Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014
Updated Sep 22, 2014

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

An HR representative called to do a phone screening/interview. Then the HR rep requested that I fill out a series of short-answer questions submitted by the supervisor. I was then called in to interview with the supervisor and another colleague for about 1 hr. After tentative salary discussions on the phone with the HR rep again, I visited again to meet with the Managing Director of the Division.

Interview Questions
    ADA provided me with a small bonus to cover costs I accrued for leaving my previous company. This was done because I was unable to negotiate for a higher salary.

Internship Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

Hiring process was simple; Had to go through a background check process but once all information was entered I heard back from the company within a week. Interview process was comfortable, all employees at the office were comforting and not too intimidating. Questions asked during the interview process included questions about my knowledge of diabetes and expectations for the position.

Interview Questions
    • One unexpected question was how much I would like to be involved in becoming an ambassador (involved with the church community) as well as an employee.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

There were two intereviews. The first one included a script that was emailed and over the phone where about 2-3 individuals playing out the script as consumers who would call in. They wanted to hear your tone and see how you sounded on the phone. (You were not supposed to read the script word for word but study before and relay the information as best as possible). The second interview consisted of three individuals in a small office with different questions. Very simple. They wanted to know basic information such as reasons for wanting the job and how diabetes connects to the potential employee.

Interview Questions
    • Some tricky questions like how you would handle a customer crying over the phone about their condition.   Answer Question
    The salary was offered and it was accepted. No negotiation.

Development Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

After submitting my resume, I had one interview. The office was friendly as was the interviewer. The interview was fairly informal and they did not seem prepared for the position. It felt like they were told to have the position and did not actually want anyone for it. The interviewer actually walked out of the interview for a moment to talk to a coworker. I was hired at the end of the position and was called later that week to start on a project.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of projects did I want to work on through this internship.   Answer Question

Sales/Fundraising Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

Set phone interview, which should last aprox 20 min. It was a very top down interview. Asking questions from from the first job I ever had 25 years ago. Hell I can't remember last week. The interview was very robotic with no room for self expression.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

After an initial phone interview I was called in for an in person interview. There is some skills testing such as a writing test in addition to the personal interview. The main thing which surprised me was that I had to wait so long to learn that I was hired. I thought I didn't get the job because it took three weeks or so to notify me that I had been hired.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process is really strong. I don't think you can really "prepare" for it. Your best bet is to be honest, be good at speaking spontaneously, directly, and warmly, and don't try to be evasive or dishonest.   Answer Question
    You can't negotiate pay much, at least for the position I was in. They will basically make you an offer and you will take it or you will decline.

Staff Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

I had a referral from a current employee.... I had a scheduled phone interview with them. Questions weren't too out of the ordinary. Had to make sure I knew a little bit about what the organization does and how well i would fit in.

Interview Questions
    • how do you think working here will help your future goals   Answer Question

Government Affairs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Diabetes Association in December 2010.

Initial contact was an in-person meeting, informal, conversational, short. Not enough time to form opinions or glean useful information of one another. Submitted resume and cover letter. Next contact was via email to schedule a phone interview. Couple of reg flags in tone and content of message. Numerous misspellings. Third contact was a phone interview. The interviewer spent 75% of the time telling me how great he was (note: he was not telling me how great the organization was). Interviewer attempted to cram in a behavorial interview in last 15 minutes of 1 hour phone interview. Called me back a month later and offered me a job other than the one I applied for / interviewed for.

The process was bungling and inept and the interviewer oddly patronizing. Left with the impression that the ADA has the typical non-profit problem but on a much larger scale. Fund-raising swamps all executive level decision-making, which disables mission and the ability to field decent management.

Coordinator- Call Center ( Now Titled As " Associate Manager") Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Diabetes Association in December 2008.

I initially filled out an application for the association about 2-3 months before I received a call back. i discovered the position on the Washington Post website. Please be in the mood to take time to fill out the application because there are about 4 or 5 essay questions that you must answer. The questions are traditional interview questions like, "Describe a time you encountered someone difficult" and " Describe your understanding of the position", etc. After completing the application, months passed and I heard nothing. I had honestly forgot I applied but I was very interested in the position.

Two months later, I received a call from the hiring manager who informed me that she would email me some information regarding diabetes that I would need to familiarize myself with. She informed me that in two days she would call me to ask questions about the material. She told me I would NOT have to memorize the info and that I was allowed to look at the information when she called back. The purpose was to see how comfortable I would be relaying information and how well I sounded over the phone.
    I completed the phone interview and received a call about 15-20 minutes later telling me to come in for a face-to-face interview the following Monday.

That Monday, I went to the interview, (**TIP: if you have no money for parking, try to arrive about 20 minutes early than scheduled so that you can park on the street to avoid parking garage fees.**) and I was impressed with the location ( very easy to navigate) and the grounds were well kept. All the staff was friendly and the receptionist was very reassuring. I was greeted in the lobby by one of the mangers and led into the call center for the interview. When I entered, there were 3 managers staring me down in a very small room. It was pretty nerve racking but having a good personality, smiling, eye contact and confidence will save you! After the "interrogation", I was given a short typing test where i had to write a letter to someone with diabetes. After I finished this test, I was escorted out and told that I would be contacted.

The overall interview process was a tad bit above average to me because of the multiple steps but this could prove to be difficult for someone without call center experience. if you're not good at multitasking and researching information quickly, this is NOT the position for you.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you encountered someone that was difficult? How was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiating. They asked how much I was paid at my previous job and stuck with that amount. My advice would be to ask for at least the minimum which is now $17/hour.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at American Diabetes Association in April 2008.

It was an easy process due to the employee referral. I had a simple conversation with the director of the department. Everything went smoothly and no pressure at all. My boss was nice and honest during the hiring process. Although they had someone they like before my interview, they like me better. I got the offer very soon.

Interview Questions
    I wasn't able to negotiate because they were saying it is a entry level job. There is no space for negotiation

Worked for American Diabetes Association? Contribute to the Community!