American Diabetes Association Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

2.6

Manager, Fundraising and Special Events Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Diabetes Association (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

This was the most unprofessional experience I have ever had. After a quick phone interview I was invited to the office to interview in person. This consisted of two people, one would be the immediate boss of the role for which I was interviewing, and the another person who was above her. There was absolutely zero small talk and I think they were playing bad cop, aloof cop.

The "bad cop" all but out-right accused me of lying on my resume. She blatantly rolled her eyes at me on several occasions and twice, she even threw her pen up in the air on to the table and looked at "aloof cop" as if to say, "can you believe what this girl is saying?" She was rude, condescending and hostile. When I left, I literally felt like I had just been interrogated by the police for 90 minutes.

The "aloof cop" knew almost nothing about the position for which I was applying. I asked her several questions and each time she danced around the answer like she was a politician running for office. Example--
    ME: Can you tell me about benchmarks and where you would want this person to be financially in the next 3 or 6 months for the program?
    RESPONSE: I want someone who would be willing to jump in and not be afraid.

Seriously? Additionally, her body language indicated that she was completely uninterested in my presence. She was slumped over with her cheek resting on her hand almost the entire time. Hey! Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Apparently, these two never learned that it is just as important for an applicant to interview the organization/potential supervisors as it is for an employer to interview a perspective employee.

I'd also like to note that I spent 90 minutes interviewing and received no response on whether or not I got this job. If you're the type of person who enjoys wasting an entire morning on a job interview with people who do not even have the courtesy of sending you a quick email telling you that you did or did not get the job, than this organization might be for you. If not, RUN.

Personally, I'd rather clean toilets at Coachella than work for these two people.

Interview Questions

• Am I the type of person who is able to take direction from a manager or do I prefer to just do what I want because I think I know better?   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Diabetes Association in February 2015.

Interview

One week after applying, I was asked to complete the online application. Two weeks later, I had an in person interview with management. Two weeks following that, I had a two-part interview, one with a member of a stakeholder group and the second part was with staff. Another two weeks passed and I was asked to come in to meet with a member of the Board, who had an expertise in performance management and systems thinking. The following day I was called with an offer. In total, this process lasted over 6-weeks but I can say that I appreciated the time to understand the full scope of my employment and the opportunity to meet with so many individuals who I now work with.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience managing volunteers?   1 Answer

Associate Manager of Fundraising and Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Diabetes Association (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

I interviewed for the position one time. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. They started off basically telling me about the organization and the position and asked me a few questions about my resume. They asked me what I knew about social media and that was all. It was mostly just a conversation. There were two interviewers. The only problem is that it took 2 months before I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• What social media sites do you know?   1 Answer
    • What computer software can you use   1 Answer

Financial Reporting and Operations Interview

Interview

I applied online. Heard back within two weeks by director of Financial Reporting. Gave a checklist of what to expect if you are an intern at the organization detailing training on company software, and what to expect with working on the company accounting system.

Interview Questions

• There wasn't any. It was just they liked you or they didn't. Asked some questions about school activities and why you chose your major etc.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Diabetes Association (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

An HR representative called to do a phone screening/interview. Then the HR rep requested that I fill out a series of short-answer questions submitted by the supervisor. I was then called in to interview with the supervisor and another colleague for about 1 hr. After tentative salary discussions on the phone with the HR rep again, I visited again to meet with the Managing Director of the Division.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

ADA provided me with a small bonus to cover costs I accrued for leaving my previous company. This was done because I was unable to negotiate for a higher salary.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Diabetes Association.

Interview

Hiring process was simple; Had to go through a background check process but once all information was entered I heard back from the company within a week. Interview process was comfortable, all employees at the office were comforting and not too intimidating. Questions asked during the interview process included questions about my knowledge of diabetes and expectations for the position.

Interview Questions

• One unexpected question was how much I would like to be involved in becoming an ambassador (involved with the church community) as well as an employee.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Diabetes Association (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

There were two intereviews. The first one included a script that was emailed and over the phone where about 2-3 individuals playing out the script as consumers who would call in. They wanted to hear your tone and see how you sounded on the phone. (You were not supposed to read the script word for word but study before and relay the information as best as possible). The second interview consisted of three individuals in a small office with different questions. Very simple. They wanted to know basic information such as reasons for wanting the job and how diabetes connects to the potential employee.

Interview Questions

• Some tricky questions like how you would handle a customer crying over the phone about their condition.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The salary was offered and it was accepted. No negotiation.

Development Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Diabetes Association.

Interview

After submitting my resume, I had one interview. The office was friendly as was the interviewer. The interview was fairly informal and they did not seem prepared for the position. It felt like they were told to have the position and did not actually want anyone for it. The interviewer actually walked out of the interview for a moment to talk to a coworker. I was hired at the end of the position and was called later that week to start on a project.

Interview Questions

• What kind of projects did I want to work on through this internship.   Answer Question

Sales/Fundraising Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American Diabetes Association.

Interview

Set phone interview, which should last aprox 20 min. It was a very top down interview. Asking questions from from the first job I ever had 25 years ago. Hell I can't remember last week. The interview was very robotic with no room for self expression.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how much you raised in 1995?   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Diabetes Association (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

After an initial phone interview I was called in for an in person interview. There is some skills testing such as a writing test in addition to the personal interview. The main thing which surprised me was that I had to wait so long to learn that I was hired. I thought I didn't get the job because it took three weeks or so to notify me that I had been hired.

Interview Questions

• The interview process is really strong. I don't think you can really "prepare" for it. Your best bet is to be honest, be good at speaking spontaneously, directly, and warmly, and don't try to be evasive or dishonest.   Answer Question

Negotiation

You can't negotiate pay much, at least for the position I was in. They will basically make you an offer and you will take it or you will decline.