American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview

I applied in store then a few days later got a call back. I was interviewed right at the cash register. It was very weird to be interviewed while customers were shopping but it was my first job so I went with it. I was hired right on the spot. A few days after that I was employed.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview

We did a group interview with an assistant manager. We were asked questions altogether and then had one on one interviews. You'll be asked questions about how you view the brand as well as your personal style. Also expect typical retail questions like how to handle a difficult customer. It was very casual and relaxing as well as informative.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

One on one with manager. Interview lasted about 30 minutes and it was mainly general questions nothing out of ordinary. Since its American Eagle they did ask about fashion & how I would describe mine.

Interview Questions

• Describe your sense of fashion and where your inspiration comes from   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview

I applied in store. Few days later recieved a call for a 1:1 interview. Got called back to schedule orientation. It was pretty easy and simple. Interview questions were common sense questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your style? What did you do in your last job that you can bring to this store?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview

I was walking around the mall and I thought I'd ask if AE was hiring. So I walked in and asked the cashier if they were hiring and he told me that they're always taking applications; he gave me one and advised me to talk to the manager when I return the application. It's my luck that the manager was working at the time so I went ahead and introduced myself. She asked me my availability and asked me to do this survey. After that she scheduled me an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Melbourne, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I've always loved AE, so when I was going around picking up applications and applying at places, I stopped by and asked for an application. I brought it back the next day. About a month went by before I heard anything, and when they called they asked me to come in for an interview. It was a group of five girls, including myself.

The manager took us into the back room where we sat in a circle, went around the circle asking us questions. Overall, the interview was easy and relaxed. She didn't really ask anything out of the ordinary, and she was very nice.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garden City, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Garden City, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I filled out the application online and a few days later I was emailed back telling me I was invited to a hiring event that took place for 4 hours that day. When I got there, there was a group of about 20 mostly high school age people there applying for the same position. The interview was one on one and took place inside of a fitting room since I assume there was no management office. Was a very relaxed interview with a list of questions that she had to ask.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Mainly role-play questions. I waited a week before I got a reply, which was nerve-wracking, only to find out that I did not get the job. It was a group interview (10 people, including me) with two interviewers. It was located in the store's storage unit, and the interviewers were friendly.

Interview Questions

• If you had two customers asking for two different things, how would you handle this situation as a coworker?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I picked up an application at the store and brought it back a few days later and spoke to the manager. She had me answer a few questions about availability and experience in retail. I was hired on the spot. It wasn't in any way a formal interview and probably only lasted about 15 minutes.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Frederick, MD) in May 2015.

Interview

I actually sent my application to the store through my dad about a week before I got out of school since my school was about five hours away from the location, but I knew I wanted to apply before the high schooler rush. My dad told me that the store manager told him that they weren't hiring at the moment, but I still decided to come talk to them in person because I figured they just said that since they hadn't seen me in person.

About two weeks after I had sent in my application, I went to the store and told them my name and that I had sent in an application. They actually recognized my name and I was told to come back the next week for an interview.

I came back the next week, and the manager took me to a sitting area in the mall and asked me the interview questions. It was very laid-back, conversational and chill, I definitely fan-girled over how much I loved AE which I think got me bonus points. I also had some prior leadership experience from other jobs, and I was very outgoing in my interview. After the manager asked all the questions (there were about 5-6 questions) she told me right away that she wanted to hire me and that the next thing I would have to do is fill out a personality quiz to see where I would best fit in the store.

The quiz was just a bunch of adjectives and I had to pick which described myself, and then the same list of adjectives but I had to choose which I thought were how I should be at work. After that I was told to come in on a specific date for my first day of training.

Overall I would recommend always coming into the store in person instead of waiting for a call back, just so you can keep your name and face fresh in the management's mind. Also have a positive and friendly attitude during the interview and you should be set!