American Eagle Outfitters

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
341 candidate interviews

Scarsdale, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in April 2009.

Interview Details – The manager was very unconventional. She asked me questions such as if I was an animal what would I be? What was my favorite song. I also had to role play as a sales associate assisting a difficult customer. The manager talked alot about engaging the customer and not just simply providing service. You have to be the customer's friend. I thought that the interview went well, but after meeting the store manager I began to think I might not enjoy working there. After being told I would be contacted if I was a fit, I never heard from them again. I thought the interview went well, but because I wasn't creepy friendly and annoying I guess I did not get the job.

Interview Question – If you culd be an animal what would you be?   View Answer

Horseheads, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2007.

Interview Details – You give your application, they call you in for a group interview, and you have to make yourself stand out. Then everyone goes around the store, chooses an outfit, and sells it to the managers in front of everyone else, to demonstrate good selling skills. It may be American Eagle, but you need to dress professionally for the interview. I was the only one in business attire and I was the only one that got the job. They like to see respect for the company as well as yourself.

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2010.

Interview Details – interview with district, interview with regional and leadership survey

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – accepted first office

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in April 2010.

Interview Details – The manager sat us (about five people) down at the food court, she went around and asked us all the same questions. It was difficult because you have to try to be the person who answers the questions best. Bottom line: try and be the first person to answer the question.

Buffalo, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in August 2009.

Interview Details – I asked for an application in the store then got called for an interview a few days after handing it in. It was a group interview with me and about six other people, and we all just ended up repeating each others answers. Also, the interviewer asked us our names but she definitely didn't memorize them so there was no way she could have known who said which answers or whose application was whose after the interview was over. She asked the normal questions like why do you want to work here? and how would you handle a difficult customer? but she also asked completely irrelevant questions like if you had a superpower what would it be? and if you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

Overall I think the group interview process was completely ineffective because like I said we just repeated each others answers and there is no way the interviewer could have remembered who said what. At the end of the interview she told us that she would calls us in 10 days at the most to tell us if we got the job, but she said they only had one position open and she had already interviewed 50 people. As expected, I never got a call.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2008.

Interview Details – First candidates must fill out a screening card, potential candidates are given a group interview date, those candidates that stood out will be called back for a one on one interview. This interview consists of a skill test and a presentation of a created outfit. AE will run a background check and call within 3 days.

Interview Question – Why do you think you would fit in at American Eagle?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Interview Details – first i applied online where i was then contacted for an interview via phone call. i was then prompted to schedule a group interview date at one of the store locations. i was told to dress in a way that represents the company's lifestyle. i went to one of the locations where i was then greeted by everyone and they were super friendly. i had the interview with about 10 other people and we were interviewed by 3 managers.

Interview Questions

• We (the managers) are going on a trip to Chicago, the windy city, next week. Pick an article of clothing that you are wearing now. Pretend you are trying to sell that article of clothing to us for our trip.   Answer Question
  • What is good customer service? What is bad customer service?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2010.

Interview Details – Received a phone call and had a phone interview. Then met one on one. Answered questions. Got hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Oak Lawn, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2011.

Interview Details – When I first approached the manager for an application, she was very judgmental and I could tell she really didn't want to even give me an application. When I was called back for an interview, I was put in a group with some of my friends who had also applied. When she asked us questions, she always pointed out negatuve things we were saying. I'm assuming she did this only because of a certain "look
 American Eagle wants from its employees.

Interview Question – Do you have enough money to wear the clothes that we sale? You must wear them when you work.   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Training Program Interview

Assistant Buyer Training Program
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2012.

Interview Details – A long, three month process. This began with an awkward video-recorded interview where you basically record yourself answering 7 pre-formatted questions then send it back to AE for review. Two weeks later, I had a 30 minute phone interview with a Buyer at Aerie that was focused on their current store assortments, the latest fashion trends, and their competition. Next, a 30 minute timed retail math test consisting of 20 questions and a personality test. After that, they flew me into Pittsburgh for a huge 2-day interview event with 40 other students. The 2-day event consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with top buyers, a panel discussion, a 2-hour wine mixer, and a group trend project and presentation in front of 30 executives. Maybe it was just me, but the entire process seemed to center around them trying to talk everyone into loving Pittsburgh and the laid back AE culture. Very sorority-type, and everyone working there is young,young,young. Not incredibly professional.

Interview Question – What teen idols do you think our customer looks to for fashion inspiration?   View Answer

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!