American Eagle Outfitters

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
337 candidate interviews

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked if they were hiring and the person at the door called the manager and I dropped off my resume and he asked me about my previous work experience and availability right off the bat. He then said they would call me to schedule an interview. They called 2 weeks letter to schedule the interview a week after that. When I went in they gave me the application and I filled it out with the person interviewing me. He liked me a lot and said I would move on to the sconce terrier with the HR manager and she interviewed me. They both basically asked the same thing things: tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, who inspires you, how do you deal with rowdy people

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Deer Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details – Ask for a job application from a manager. Fill it all out there because then you have some time to speek to the manager. (Remember you social security when filling out the app). Then, during the interview dress appopriately. They ask about yourself so feel free to talk much about yourself.

Interview Question – Picking out an outfit for the opposite gender.   Answer Question

Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied for American Eagle in June 2014 and about 2 weeks later i get an email inviting me to a hiring event in July 2014...Its for a new store opening up near me... I went on that and thought i did great... it was easy questions....
1. Tell me about yourselves
2. why should we hire you
3. Availability
4. Why do you would be perfect for this job
5. What position interests you

Interview Question – But now i'm confused... I didn't get a call yet but another email inviting me to another hiring event and it looks just like the first one... Is this a mix-up or should i attend the second hiring event??   Answer Question

Stockroom Supervisor Interview

Stockroom Supervisor

I applied in-person and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – Interview process was easy and laid back. Didn't feel any pressure at all. Asked me several questions about my management and retail experience, especially my experience in clothes. Asked if I would be able to handle coming in some mornings and having limited time to run through and make sure my area was up to store opening standards.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult questions was the typical "what is your biggest weakness?:. isn't it always awkward getting asked this when youre trying to sell yourself   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – You have a group interview in which they look at how you're interacting with the other people while waiting on the manager to come up to you. They will ask each of you a different question. It's very low key. I wore their brand of clothing during the interview. It's not hard at all.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; minimum wage

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – The interview process is basically alot of promises made by the district manager which never amount to anything in the end. They make the job sound alot better than it is and push the " we promote from within" and "work life balance" which is very much the opposite of how it actually happens

Interview Question – Most questions are behavior based so be prepared with examples   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there didn't seem to be much room for negotiation

Wichita, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the store, which had a hiring sign in front and asked for an application. Once I turned in my application they told me that I dressed the part for working there and told me to come back for an interview in two days. I went in to the store for the interview and was taken out into the mall by one of the other managers and asked very standard interview questions(Strengths, weaknesses, etc). It almost seemed like the only purpose of the interview was that they were required to give some sort of interview. I was then taken into the store and asked to do a role-play skills test in which I put together an outfit for the "customer". I was then offered a position immediately.

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details – I had a Group interview at soho. The manager brought us to the back to a very dark area. We sat in a circle and basically the only way you could stand out was contribute in discussion.

Interview Question – What's the latest trend ?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – The interview process is done in groups. They call you and ask if you can attend the interview in the morning or in the afternoon (they hire a lot of people and it seemed to me that they are permanently hiring). They ask you what are your fashion sources, fashion inspiration, to describe a time where you had to handle a big task or problem and how did you manage to overcome it.

Interview Question – The most unexpected thing is that the assistant manager asked the group to try every type of jeans sold at the store.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details – I would shop at AE constantly and one day the hiring manager checked me out and asked me to put in an application. I put it in a few days later, she went on vacation for like 2 weeks and then called me in for an interview. All she did was fawn over me and tell me how amazed she was at my independence at a young age. She hired me on the spot, i was clocking in for my first shift the very next week.

Interview Question – They were all practical and easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She said she would start me out at 7.50, I already had a night job waiting tables, so i accepted it as a morning job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters interview questions and advice. All 337 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees and interview candidates.