American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I interviewed at the 14th street location. When I arrived I asked the greeter where to go & he directed me upstairs. I went to wait & there were about 11 or 12 other people waiting there to interview with me. We all waited another 30 minutes for someone to come get us. Then we went downstairs to interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a good customer service experience.   Answer Question
    • Why should you work here? It's your first day on the job & someone asks you where a pair of jeans are but you don't know where they are, what do you do?   Answer Question
    • Someone is looking at clothes but you see that someone has just messed up the pile of shirts you just neatly folded, what do you handle first?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fond du Lac, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Fond du Lac, WI) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for seasonal, but plan on staying on with the company. I turned in my application and was interviewed on the spot. As long as you are personable and friendly, they'll be willing to work with you and provide flexible hours. Very casual interview process. They want to know you as a person, not just you in a retail setting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Sales positions start at minimum wage, and it is non-negotiable.

Buying/Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied after speaking with HR reps at our campus career fair. I submitted my resume and was asked to attend an informational session. I then received the call that I got an interview and had to complete a project for it. I first had an in person interview on campus with one HR person and one buyer. They were very casual but asked a lot of questions. Buying is an interesting position to interview for because you need business skills, a good sense of fashion and trend, retail experience, and good public speaking and teamwork abilities. They asked me about all of those things in the first interview. I was also asked to present my project that I had prepared for that day. I made it past the first round, then participated in a super day with all of the other candidates. We went through a tour of the building and then had two more interviews with different buyers and did group work while being observed. The whole day was a great learning experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Orlando, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview took 10 minutes and was hired on the spot. It was one on one with the manager at the front of the store. Basic questions and judged more on personality and honesty than anything.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Very little interview. Just a meeting then an offer. They hire a ton during the holiday season, then they'll let you go. Show them you want to stay and you might be able to continue with them.

Negotiation

Minimum Wage.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I applied through a posting on our university jobboard. After an initial phone interview with HR, I was flown to Pittsburgh to interview with a buyer and then participate in a 2 day interview program. There were probably 2-3 dozen candidates and 2 days of activities including rounds of interviews back to back in a hotel meeting room (where 10 other candidates are interviewed at the same time at different tables), meet-and-greet the buyers at happy hour etc. Like someone mentioned, it was like a sorority rush event.

FYI: The company is not very diverse. Most employees are from Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The interview is pretty straight forward, you apply in person and after they review your application you, come in for an interview. They will sit you down and ask you a lot of basic sales business questions, and customer service questions. You may be called back in for multiple interviews but usually one is standard.

Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Traverse City, MI).

Interview

My local AE was hiring like crazy with an application table in and outside of their store. I turned in my application to a manager who skimmed over it and said she loved how energetic I was, and that the hiring manager would love me, she told me he would call me in a few days to set up an interview, after 1 week without a call I called the store and asked to speak with the hiring manager and the guy who answered was very rude and said he's not here now bye and hung up. I went into the store the next day and talked to the hiring manager directly. He wrote my name on a piece of paper and said he'd call me within the week for an interview. 2 weeks went by with no call, I called again and the hiring manager answered and I asked about my application once more and asked if there was any improvements or experience required for the position I was missing. He said no that my application looked great and that he'd for sure get back with me in a week to set up an interview. Again he never called. This seemed very unprofessional to me especially for a hiring manager, I have lost all interest in ever working for American Eagle Outfitters. Z

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I went in on a Tuesday and introduced myself to the manager and asked if she was hiring. She said she was and gave me an application, we ended up chatting for a few minutes because I had just found out that the Aéropostale in the mall which I worked at was closing, and that's why I was applying for a new job. We hit it off, and she urged me to bring in my application and resume as soon as possible. On Thursday I brought them both in, as well as a letter of recommendation from my former manager. On Friday an assistant manager asked if I could come in for an interview and I did. It took place in the middle of the store which was kind of odd considering there were customers circling us and interrupting to ask her for help, but it definitely made the whole thing seem more relaxed. I filled out a simple personality survey on an iPad that "told them what type of employee I would be," and then she asked me a few basic "what would you do?" questions. At the end of the interview I was offered a position starting at minimum wage. It was all very laid back and simple!

Interview Questions

• "Pretend that I am a customer and try to sell me the AE Rewards Card"   Answer Question

Negotiation

She offered me $9/hr (minimum wage) and I said yes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters (Columbia, SC) in October 2014.

Interview

I went to the store in person on a Friday and told them I was intrested in working part-time. They told me to come back the following Monday for a group interview. The interview was pretty laid back, we completed job applications while everyone arrived. The main questions were about our previous job experience, flexibility, and ee all were asked why we wanted to work here. I was called two days later and offered the position and told to come to new employee orientation this Sunday.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at American Eagle?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able negotiate a nice flexible schedule as I am a student.