American Eagle Outfitters

Average Difficulty
342 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – When I went into the store 8yrs ago to turn in my application they invited me to the interview they were having a couple days later. I left the company as an assistant store manager, so from experience I can say be prepared to answer pre-screen questions when you turn in your application. Not all managers will pre-screen, but I know a lot who like to get a feel of your personality before they invite you to an interview. Interviews used to be group interivews, but I think they are individual now. Also, managers are really big on the way you fill out the application. If most of the fields are blank, good luck getting an interview. Fill everything out!

Interview Question – Questions can range from "what is your biggest pet peeve" to "sell me your favorite item". There is a list of questions the manager can choose from. Just make sure to do most of the talking. It's never a good thing if the interviewer is doing most of the talking.   Answer Question

East Brunswick, NJ

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details – I filled in the application immediately after receiving it. When I went back to return it, I was directed to the store manager. She flipped through it quickly and said she would look at it that Friday and call me in for an interview. Memorial Day is on Monday so I hope to hear back sometime in the upcoming week.

Interview Question – Haven't had the interview yet!   Answer Question

Lancaster, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2012.

Interview Details – After applying, it took some back and forth until I could finally get an interview. Once I did, the process went very smooth. The interview focused around behavioral questions, and was very laid back. The interviewer was friendly, and had a lot of questions to ask. The only negative was that I had to call back in order to find out if I had received the job or not (even though they said they would call).

Interview Question – How will hiring you contribute to American Eagle's image?   Answer Question

Auburn, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email two days later asking me to attend a hiring event. Because it was a new store opening they were very willing and open to interviewing every candidate as they need employees as soon as possible.

When I arrived at the event I met with one manager and a manager in training. Both of them were at my interview but the manager in training mostly observed.

The interview itself was really chill, at the beginning they introduced themselves and asked me to introduce myself as well. The manager also said that at the end I would either get a job offer right away or they would get back to me in a couple days. After introductions were made they asked me about 5 or 6 questions.

The first one was where I liked to shop the most and it lead to why I want to work at AE out of all the places I shop.
My favorite stores to shop at are Papaya and Forever 21. I chose AE out of the three stores because they are the only company that I believe truly supports inner beauty, as shown through their unretouched campaign, and I wanted to be a part of a company that conveys such a positive message.

The second and third questions were also closely related. They asked what was the best customer service I received and the worst.

The next question was what was the last thing I bought that I absolutely had to have. Coincidentally the shirt I wore to the interview was one of those things so I talked about it. After I mentioned the shirt the manager asked me to sell the rest of my outfit and explain why I was wearing it.
My outfit consisted of black jeans, black flats with gold accent, a breezy short sleeve blouse, green vest (AE), and some jewelry. I basically just said that I chose the white shirt in order to draw attention to the vest because that was the focus of my outfit. Because the vest was green I didn't want to have too much going on so I kept the bottom half of my outfit simple.

The last question they asked me was what I would do if I walked into the store, at the start of my shift, and everything that could go wrong was going wrong. I said that because I just got there I wouldn't be able to decide on my own where I would be the most useful. As a result I would go to my manager and ask them directly where they need me the most so that I can do what matters the most to my manager.

When they asked me if I had any questions I asked what their favorite part about working at AE was and if they planned on staying with the company in the future.

When all was said and done the manager told me that he would like to offer me the job and that upon accepting I would receive an email by Monday about orientation and what to do from there.

Overall the interview was really fun and the managers interviewing me were interested in what I was saying and they cared a lot about what kind of person I was. Image is also important and I think that's why they asked me to explain my outfit. They want to know that you know your own sense of style and can explain it to others, because helping people choose clothing is a big part of working at AE. Definitely make sure to be careful with how you dress, it's not the only thing that matters, but it is the one of the first things they will notice. Jeans are totally okay but make up for the more casual look by wearing a nice blouse and some jewelry.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question I got was about the last thing I bought that I absolutely had to have.   View Answer

Brooklyn, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2010.

Interview Details – I literally walked in to shop and my mother told the manager I loved the store and needed a job. He spoke to me briefly about why I liked the store and about my personal style. A few days later I went in for training and spent an hour and a half doing paperwork and was hired.

Interview Question – I wasn't really questioned intensely. The manager was really nice and I started out just as holiday help when on breaks from college. When I came home I moved up to part time until I found something better   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – Fill out a job application and provide a resume. There really wasn't much to the interview process. They liked my resume and had me fill out a 2 part questionare that asked what I think the company expects from me, ie: being outgoing, professional, etc. And the second was how I see myself. This is strictly a personality test to see where you fit into the store the best.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – Went into the store to fill out and turn in an application. I was immediately interviewed and given the job the following day. References were all contacted during this process.

Interview Question – Where do you get your fashion trends?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Foley, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2012.

Interview Details – It was very simple interview, they asked basic questions about experience, what you plan to bring to the company, etc.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions personally were about how would you handle disgruntled people.   Answer Question

Albany, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was very laid back. I applied during the holiday season, and after handing in my application, I was scheduled to come in for an interview. The manager reviewed my application and asked me some basic questions (why I chose AEO, what my personal style was, what experience I had). The interview lasted all of five to ten minutes, and then I was scheduled to come in for a training day.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was probably why I chose American Eagle, mostly because they spring it on your so quickly you're not expecting it!   View Answer

Framingham Center, MA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2010.

Interview Details – You go in and fill out a form. If they like you then they will ask you right then and there when you can come in for an interview that week. If they say they will call you back, it's a lie.

Interview Question – Have you worked in retail?   Answer Question