American Eagle Outfitters

Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied for American Eagle in June 2014 and about 2 weeks later i get an email inviting me to a hiring event in July 2014...Its for a new store opening up near me... I went on that and thought i did great... it was easy questions....
    1. Tell me about yourselves
    2. why should we hire you
    3. Availability
    4. Why do you would be perfect for this job
    5. What position interests you

Interview Questions
    • But now i'm confused... I didn't get a call yet but another email inviting me to another hiring event and it looks just like the first one... Is this a mix-up or should i attend the second hiring event??   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I had a Group interview at soho. The manager brought us to the back to a very dark area. We sat in a circle and basically the only way you could stand out was contribute in discussion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

So I know a friend who works at American Eagle. He was able to get the general manager to do a thing called " Screening" this past monday while she looked over my resume, she was very friendly. That same day I got a call about coming in for an interview tuesday at 2:00 I show up 1:45, It was a group interview so I saw the other interviewees. Interview process went well the interviewer told us in about a week you will hear if you got the job or not, I didn't get a call so I made the effort to call I basically said I got interviewed by such & such my name is such & such I'm wondering if the position is still open? The man I spoke to told me he'll call me right back and he did, he notified me that I'm moving on in the next process, orientation :).

Interview Questions
    " We're offering a sales associate position 8 hours an hour will you accept ? "

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Lucky the girl I asked was the hiring manager so she said yes and grabbed me and application. She asked about my availability and were I went to school. I went to the food court to fill out my application and handed if right back to her after , she said she wanted an interview for the next day around two and she would call. The next day she called around 11 am and said to come in at 2. It was a group interview only me and another girl. She asked why we want to work here. Basic interview questions. Then made us pick out specific outfits that are blue and in the range of $100. It was a 10 min interview . Then I left. Got a call like 3 days later asking of I can come in for orientation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I saw on Craigslist that AE was having a new store opening in St.Augustine Florida. I sent my resume via email at the address provided. The interview was not long, they just asked questions like tell me about yourself, what's your availability, what is customer service to you and what area do you want to work. Fitting rooms, stock, sales floor or cashier. There was four women who sat across from us and five candidates. We filled put applications and a questionnaire about words that describe you. The store opens at the end of July. It seemed like as long as you had retail experience and looked like you wanted to be there did you get hired. Overall pretty easy.

I was offered a job closer to my house and with better pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenner, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenner, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I had asked for an application and turned it in with my resume (no retail experience) on the same day. It took around a month and a half for them to call me (I applied in May for a summer job and got a call back in July). I guess they weren't hiring at the time I turned my application in. Had my first interview and then within two days later I received a call for a second interview. They made me feel very comfortable and relaxed. Two days after my second interview, I was offered a job. During my first interview, I had to take some sort of personality test online before she would interview me.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic. But I felt like during my second interview, some had more so right and wrong answers. When asked how would I handle a situation of multiple customers at once, I felt like the hiring manager was expecting me to say that I would ask for help from other employees and when I did say that, he shook his head and put a check mark next to the question on his page. Some questions I answered and he put stars next to them. I was worried that I may have answered some of them wrong due to him marking next to every question I answered.   Answer Question

I declined because I was offered another job the day before that I was much more interested in.

Floorset Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collierville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collierville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

It was literally the easiest interview I've ever gone to. I found out about the job because the manager came into the store I currently worked at and asked if anyone wanted to come work overnights. I figured it would be at least an extra $100 a month so I said sure.. Filled out an application and turned it in. They called about a week later and set up an interview. The interview was with me and two other people. We went outside and sat on a bench, she asked each of us one question and then told us we were hired. I think they were just desperate to get people in there.

They basically said "you're doing floorset and it's only 3 nights a month, so we're giving you $7.50". I didn't argue at all.

Station Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I received a call early in the week from the manager discussing the position, pay, and benefits briefly. I had a face to face the next day. We went through the job description and some paperwork. He kept me inform on the days I should expect a call back to say if I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you believe you should be hired?   View Answer
    • What would you do with an angry customer. How would you handle the situation.   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I went into the store in late June and asked a sales associate for a job application. I filled it out right away in the food court so I could return it right away. They asked for three professional references, which kind of worried me since, as this would be my first job, I could only put down my one volunteer supervisor. When I dropped off my application to the hiring manager, she looked over my application quickly and caught me a little off guard by asking me a few questions like why AE, what do you want to do here? Overall, she was very friendly and told me that they weren't hiring just then but she would call back in July when they were closer to peak season. I was a little concerned that this was a just a lie and they didn't actually want to call me back for an interview, but sure enough, about two weeks later, I got a call.

I went in a few days later for the interview and made sure to dress in American Eagle clothes and try to match their style. I showed up ten minutes early and was the first one there, so I helped the hiring manager set up the interview area in the food court. It was a group interview with 7 candidates total, one of which who had just dropped by and hadn't even filled out and application. We went around and everyone answered each question, and I was first both times. I was surprised that she only asked two questions to the group because everyone has quite similar responses. She then talked really enthusiastically for fifteen minutes or so about the company, type of work we would be doing, hours,etc. I think that what made me stand out there was that I stayed engaged and made eye contact while everyone else slowly stopped paying attention and gazed off. She then asked if we had any questions and I asked what her favorite part of her job was and a quick follow up question on floor sets.

I got a call the next day that said I got the job! My orientation is in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have?   View Answer
    • Why did you choose to apply to American Eagle and what position would you like to work?   View Answer
    I was offered $8/hr and didn't push it and don't think I could have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

The hiring process was easy. I went in for an application, filled it out in the store, and was given an interview the next day. The interview was easy, asked if I was bilingual, asked me how to sell a credit card.

The job is at one of the busiest malls in Las Vegas. We have lots of tourists. They are big on selling the Loyalty rewards and their Credit cards. Goal is to get one credit card per shift per employee. I got three credit cards on one shift, but a few days later, I was told I don't work hard enough to get the Credit Cards and my hours were cut by half. The store manager is not easy to talk to, they belittle and berate you if you get the slightest bit of confidence.
    Just work hard every shift to get the cards and rewards.

One thing that is hard to work with is the Call in Schedule. You're scheduled shift is 3:00 p.m to 5:30 p.m. but your call in schedule is 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. meaning you have to call in at 1:00 p.m. to find out if they need you or not.
    Days off, you may not even be scheduled, but you will have a Call-In schedule for that day. So, you're basically setting up your day as if you're working, but they may not even need you at all. Read the fine print before you sign this page, they make you sign it before explaining.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard.
      If this were your store, how would you sell me a credit card?

View Answer
    Pay is 8.75 and non negotiable. No raise either for Jean Experts or Stylists.