American Eagle Outfitters Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

This is for the Times Square location in New York City.
    I applied online and got a reply through email.
    The group interview did not start promptly-in fact we waited for for more than 20 minutes until the interview was conducted.
    Managers were extremely nice-  it felt like a group conversation more than an interview. They asked extremely basic, very general interview questions. It only got specific when it turned to terms of style. Sometimes they would go around the table, otherwise you were free to raise your hand. Be sure to wear some sort of apparel from American Eagle-be it jeans or a cardigan. Sometimes the manager will ask you what you are wearing. All in all, it was a good standard interview. Afterwards, they told us to fill out a paper application and then took us out the room to tell us our results. I accepted a seasonal position with $8 wage. Hopefully I am kept as an part time work in the near future.

Interview Questions
    • Introduce yourself  and tell us about your past job experiences.   Answer Question
    • Why work at American Eagle?   View Answer
    • What's your style and how does American Eagle connect to it? What do you think AE's style is?   View Answer
    • How can a sales associate be a hero?   View Answer
    There was no room to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, NY

I applied online – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2014.

I applied online in October then they send me a email for a hiring event and I went I bring my resume and the application for the first interview it was a one on one interview then I got email back for second interview it was a one on one interview they said they will call me for an orientation then I missed the call from them I will reapply to this store again

Merchandising Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

The process was very bizarre. I only went through the first step in the interview process which was a pre-recorded interview. It was basically a Skype interview but it was pre-recorded. You set yourself up as if you are going to Skype someone and a HR person comes on the screen and asks you a question. You have one minute to think about your answer and then two minutes to respond. The whole process is very nerve racking and un-natural. It is hard to get across your personality and come off relaxed when there is a timer in front of you and you are rushing to answer the question thoughtfully in under two minutes. The questions were pretty standard, but you definitely need to be prepared and do your research before.

Interview Questions
    • What would you add to American Eagle based on current trends that AE does not currently carry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

I handed in my application. In a week I got a call from the store manager asking if I could come in to interview. I interviewed the next day and it went really well. She had me go to the back and sit down with her. She had my application in front of her and a sheet of common questions they ask. She asked me about my previous employment experiences (which are both life guarding positions so don't worry about previous jobs). She just wanted to know what I gained through working those positions. She asked me about an experience I've had that I'm proud of. She asked me about school and my future plans in life. After the interview process she had me take a quick personality test that helps position their employees. I got a call four days later that I got the job and I had orientation two weeks later. Overall it went very well and was pretty easy.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

Very casual and easy. Showed up to a "hiring event" which ended up being the Assistant Manager at a table set up outside of the store. She asked a couple of typical interview questions, nothing too difficult to answer. Was essentially hired on the spot and was asked to attend an orientation the following day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Did not find out wage until well into orientation.

Assistant Designer Interview

I met HR Rep. Loved me. I met with design team. Liked me. Was charged with designing a full collection. I did. I came back and presented. Never heard from them again. I assume I didn't get the job. HR Rep stopped returning my emails.

Interview Questions
    • Design a collection based on current trends and inspiration from current collection. What would I do different?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

group interview, just asked basic questions, there was only one other person in my group so it was kind of intimidating, but the questions were easy, just smile and say positive things

Sales Associate Seasonal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Valdosta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Valdosta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

Applied in person. Called within a few days to schedule an interview - was told on the phone to, "stand outside of the store in the mall in front of our entrance and wait for someone to come get you". I stood outside their entrance for over ten minutes waiting for someone to come get me, it was really awkward - they had an associate stationed towards the front of the store but to the side folding clothes, him and I made eye contact several times and he didn't even acknowledge I was there. Eventually he went up to a cash register, I thought at the time to get someone to come interview me but a few minutes later he went back to folding clothes and still said nothing to me. Finally when he was done folding his stack of clothing he looked up at me and walked towards me motioning for me to come inside the store to where he was - reluctantly I did trying to explain I was told to wait outside and then he told me, "yeah we normally have you wait outside but we're busy today (there were NO customers in the store, must have been busy putting a truck away or something else??) so I'm just going to interview you over here (where he was folding clothes the entire time). I was a little taken back by the fact that HE was the person interviewing me considering he saw me standing in front of his store for a very long time and didn't even crack a smile let alone introduce himself or acknowledge my presence. He did apologize for the fact that the interview was taking place next to a clothing rack in the store and seemed nice so I decided to let my unpleasant experience thus far subside. The questions were basically what you would expect for a seasonal retail position and the entire interview (once it started) lasted about 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Pretend I'm a customer shopping in the store and I've just asked you to help me pick out an outfit to wear to a party tonight. He literally wanted me to role play with him like he was the customer and I was an AE employee. The person interviewing me had really high energy which I was feeding off of and actually enjoyed this question. I do think it could catch a lot of people off guard. I was told I would receive a phone call one way or the other the following week with an update but the interviewer was talking about scheduling me for orientation - checking dates to see if I was available during the times they were doing ob-boarding sessions and talking as if I would be getting an offer. Nobody ever called to follow up with an offer or an update saying they went in another direction.   Answer Question

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

I applied online and within a few hours the HR manager called me for a group interview. (it was seasonal so they really needed people) when i arrived at the interview there was 9 people (including myself) we waited for a few minutes then was sent to the HR office to begin the interview. This was my first interview so i was really nervous, but the HR manager was really friendly and nice so that put us all at ease. He went around the circle and made everyone introduce their self's, why you want to work there and your previous experience. Everyone around the circle had lots of previous experience and this was my first retail job so i had very little to tell, but didn't really mind about having the most experience. He then asked what is good costumer service and how would we help pick out an outfit for a costumer. His last question was to find out our availability, most of the people sounded like they didn't really have time for the because they had school or other jobs. They seem to want you to have a very flexible schedule with no restrictions. The interview was very easy in my opinion i was expecting most of questions to be hard and the interviewer to be serious or mean but overall it was pretty simple and he was really nice. After he explain the job description he made us fill out the full AE paper application and he took us out one by one to let us know if we had got the job or not. I was offered the job on the spot (mainly because i had such a flexible schedule) for $8.00 an hour and i started 3 days later. The location was Times Square, New York

Interview Questions
    • how would you help a costumer pick out an outfit?   View Answer
    • what is good costumer service?   View Answer
    no negotiation offered $8.00 an hour

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

The interview I experienced with American Eagle was a group interview in which there was a total of four of us. The manager interviewed me within an hour of asking for an application so it was very casual. She asked us questions and did not care who went first or anything like that and at the end o the interview she provided us with details about American Eagle employment like the different opportunities (denim expert or aerie girl), dress code (which is very lax) and hours and benefits.