American Eagle Outfitters

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchant In Training Program Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2014.

Interview Details – I did the first round of the math exam and passed. From there I finished the online interview given to me from AEO recruiters. The interview was very impersonal, it was pre-recorded online. As you answer online it would lead you to the next question with no interaction with human feedback etc.

Interview Question – One of the most common questions asked was "Where do you see yourself in the industry"   Answer Question

Buying Intern Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I currently work for the retail end of the company in the store and was referred to the internship by my manager. The process seemed to be going great, I was referred, they like my resume then I had to take an online math exam. I was then passed on to the first round of interviewing. The interview was done online which I felt I couldn't express my true personality because the interview itself was impersonal. It consisted of pre-recorded questions in which you were given a certain amount of time to read each question then it would start recording you and your response. I wish I would've prepared more for the questions because they certainly were not get to know you type of questions they were all very specific to the job. It was a bit on the stressful side and hard to get comfortable since the process was done online but it better prepared me for future similar interviews. Although I did not get the job I still have interest in the company and will try again if the opportunity was right.

Interview Question – Describe the current top competing companies that AE has to face, what are the competing trends and describe your likes and dislikes of this years spring line up now in the AE stores?   Answer Question

Planning and Allocation Internship Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2014.

Interview Details – Very, very uncomfortable Async Interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for AEO? What is a buyer? Who are our competitors?   Answer Question

Merchandising Intern Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied first through college recruiting, had to submit a project, and had a Skype interview. I was then invited to the final round interview (all expenses paid) at their headquarters in Pittsburgh.

Interview Question – What are some of the trends you forecast being relevant in the coming Spring?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very brief. Dropped off a resume and the assistant to the manager of the store called me to set the interview up. When I arrived for the interview I spoke directly to the store manager. We talked about my experience, minimum hourly wage and when I could start work. It was that easy.

Interview Question – No unexpected or difficult questions were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The store manager called me the day after I interviewed with her and offered my the job for the minimum wage I asked for. I accepted.

Senior Manager Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – Interview process was great. Everyone I met with had a genuine desire to get to know me professionally and personally. They were quick to point out their challenges. Very friendly and accommodating. They gave me a tour of the city after the interview, which helped me figure out if I wanted to move there.

Interview Question – How I see my career path if I join AEO   Answer Question

Summer Intern Program Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was an OCR, a male and female interviewing me. They asked for GPA and relevant experience. Some behavioral questions.

Asked how I can improve merchandising.

Asked what other companies I am applying for.

Interview Question – What makes you an asset to AE?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2009.

Interview Details – Was internally promoted. Still believe I was hired on the people I knew and impressed rather than accomplishments, education, or prior experience. Was promised salary, advancement opportunity, and bonuses that never came true. Interviewer lied about leadership style and what day to day life would consist of.

Interview Question – If you were an animal, which would you be and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was accepted. Take it or leave it scenario

Assistant Buyer Training Program Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2012.

Interview Details – A long, three month process. This began with an awkward video-recorded interview where you basically record yourself answering 7 pre-formatted questions then send it back to AE for review. Two weeks later, I had a 30 minute phone interview with a Buyer at Aerie that was focused on their current store assortments, the latest fashion trends, and their competition. Next, a 30 minute timed retail math test consisting of 20 questions and a personality test. After that, they flew me into Pittsburgh for a huge 2-day interview event with 40 other students. The 2-day event consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with top buyers, a panel discussion, a 2-hour wine mixer, and a group trend project and presentation in front of 30 executives. Maybe it was just me, but the entire process seemed to center around them trying to talk everyone into loving Pittsburgh and the laid back AE culture. Very sorority-type, and everyone working there is young,young,young. Not incredibly professional.

Interview Question – What teen idols do you think our customer looks to for fashion inspiration?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2012.

Interview Details – I had a one on one interview and the questions asked were fairly basic. Topics such as my major in school and plans for after graduation. Took a personality test on the computer where I had to select personality traits I thought I possessed, as well as select adjectives describing how I believe it is appropriate to act at work. The manager does not see what specific adjectives you selected for both categories, however the computer generates a summary of the candidates personality and their behavior at work based upon the adjectives selected.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself and what you plan on doing after you graduate college.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters interview questions and advice in Pittsburgh, PA. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees and interview candidates.