American Eagle Outfitters

2.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied through a posting on our university jobboard. After an initial phone interview with HR, I was flown to Pittsburgh to interview with a buyer and then participate in a 2 day interview program. There were probably 2-3 dozen candidates and 2 days of activities including rounds of interviews back to back in a hotel meeting room (where 10 other candidates are interviewed at the same time at different tables), meet-and-greet the buyers at happy hour etc. Like someone mentioned, it was like a sorority rush event.

FYI: The company is not very diverse. Most employees are from Pittsburgh and/or University of Pittsburgh.

Buying Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I currently work for the retail end of the company in the store and was referred to the internship by my manager. The process seemed to be going great, I was referred, they like my resume then I had to take an online math exam. I was then passed on to the first round of interviewing. The interview was done online which I felt I couldn't express my true personality because the interview itself was impersonal. It consisted of pre-recorded questions in which you were given a certain amount of time to read each question then it would start recording you and your response. I wish I would've prepared more for the questions because they certainly were not get to know you type of questions they were all very specific to the job. It was a bit on the stressful side and hard to get comfortable since the process was done online but it better prepared me for future similar interviews. Although I did not get the job I still have interest in the company and will try again if the opportunity was right.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the current top competing companies that AE has to face, what are the competing trends and describe your likes and dislikes of this years spring line up now in the AE stores?   Answer Question

Planning and Allocation Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2014.

Very, very uncomfortable Async Interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for AEO? What is a buyer? Who are our competitors?   Answer Question

Merchant In Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2014.

I did the first round of the math exam and passed. From there I finished the online interview given to me from AEO recruiters. The interview was very impersonal, it was pre-recorded online. As you answer online it would lead you to the next question with no interaction with human feedback etc.

Interview Questions
    • One of the most common questions asked was "Where do you see yourself in the industry"   Answer Question

Merchandising Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

I applied first through college recruiting, had to submit a project, and had a Skype interview. I was then invited to the final round interview (all expenses paid) at their headquarters in Pittsburgh.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the trends you forecast being relevant in the coming Spring?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview process was great. Everyone I met with had a genuine desire to get to know me professionally and personally. They were quick to point out their challenges. Very friendly and accommodating. They gave me a tour of the city after the interview, which helped me figure out if I wanted to move there.

Assistant Buyer Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in November 2012.

A long, three month process. This began with an awkward video-recorded interview where you basically record yourself answering 7 pre-formatted questions then send it back to AE for review. Two weeks later, I had a 30 minute phone interview with a Buyer at Aerie that was focused on their current store assortments, the latest fashion trends, and their competition. Next, a 30 minute timed retail math test consisting of 20 questions and a personality test. After that, they flew me into Pittsburgh for a huge 2-day interview event with 40 other students. The 2-day event consisted of 2 45 minute interviews with top buyers, a panel discussion, a 2-hour wine mixer, and a group trend project and presentation in front of 30 executives. Maybe it was just me, but the entire process seemed to center around them trying to talk everyone into loving Pittsburgh and the laid back AE culture. Very sorority-type, and everyone working there is young,young,young. Not incredibly professional.

Interview Questions
    • What teen idols do you think our customer looks to for fashion inspiration?   View Answer

Merchandise Planning and Allocation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2012.

There was a 2:1 interview which was very casual. My interviewers had jeans and sweatshirts and were very laid back. They didn't read questions off of a sheet; rather, it was more of a conversation style where they were very interested in getting to know me. I was called back the next day and notified that I will be moving onto their final round interview in Pittsburgh 3 weeks from now.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in February 2012.

I had a one on one interview and the questions asked were fairly basic. Topics such as my major in school and plans for after graduation. Took a personality test on the computer where I had to select personality traits I thought I possessed, as well as select adjectives describing how I believe it is appropriate to act at work. The manager does not see what specific adjectives you selected for both categories, however the computer generates a summary of the candidates personality and their behavior at work based upon the adjectives selected.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself and what you plan on doing after you graduate college.   Answer Question
    No negotiating.

Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2012.

Applied through the university recruiting program and got an interview. Met with 1:1 with a full-time planner for 20 minutes.