American Eagle Outfitters

Average Difficulty
222 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked if they were hiring and the person at the door called the manager and I dropped off my resume and he asked me about my previous work experience and availability right off the bat. He then said they would call me to schedule an interview. They called 2 weeks letter to schedule the interview a week after that. When I went in they gave me the application and I filled it out with the person interviewing me. He liked me a lot and said I would move on to the sconce terrier with the HR manager and she interviewed me. They both basically asked the same thing things: tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, who inspires you, how do you deal with rowdy people

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Columbia, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – I went into the store in late June and asked a sales associate for a job application. I filled it out right away in the food court so I could return it right away. They asked for three professional references, which kind of worried me since, as this would be my first job, I could only put down my one volunteer supervisor. When I dropped off my application to the hiring manager, she looked over my application quickly and caught me a little off guard by asking me a few questions like why AE, what do you want to do here? Overall, she was very friendly and told me that they weren't hiring just then but she would call back in July when they were closer to peak season. I was a little concerned that this was a just a lie and they didn't actually want to call me back for an interview, but sure enough, about two weeks later, I got a call.

I went in a few days later for the interview and made sure to dress in American Eagle clothes and try to match their style. I showed up ten minutes early and was the first one there, so I helped the hiring manager set up the interview area in the food court. It was a group interview with 7 candidates total, one of which who had just dropped by and hadn't even filled out and application. We went around and everyone answered each question, and I was first both times. I was surprised that she only asked two questions to the group because everyone has quite similar responses. She then talked really enthusiastically for fifteen minutes or so about the company, type of work we would be doing, hours,etc. I think that what made me stand out there was that I stayed engaged and made eye contact while everyone else slowly stopped paying attention and gazed off. She then asked if we had any questions and I asked what her favorite part of her job was and a quick follow up question on floor sets.

I got a call the next day that said I got the job! My orientation is in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have?   View Answer
  • Why did you choose to apply to American Eagle and what position would you like to work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered $8/hr and didn't push it and don't think I could have.

Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied for American Eagle in June 2014 and about 2 weeks later i get an email inviting me to a hiring event in July 2014...Its for a new store opening up near me... I went on that and thought i did great... it was easy questions....
1. Tell me about yourselves
2. why should we hire you
3. Availability
4. Why do you would be perfect for this job
5. What position interests you

Interview Question – But now i'm confused... I didn't get a call yet but another email inviting me to another hiring event and it looks just like the first one... Is this a mix-up or should i attend the second hiring event??   Answer Question

Deer Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details – Ask for a job application from a manager. Fill it all out there because then you have some time to speek to the manager. (Remember you social security when filling out the app). Then, during the interview dress appopriately. They ask about yourself so feel free to talk much about yourself.

Interview Question – Picking out an outfit for the opposite gender.   Answer Question

Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – You have a group interview in which they look at how you're interacting with the other people while waiting on the manager to come up to you. They will ask each of you a different question. It's very low key. I wore their brand of clothing during the interview. It's not hard at all.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; minimum wage

Wichita, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the store, which had a hiring sign in front and asked for an application. Once I turned in my application they told me that I dressed the part for working there and told me to come back for an interview in two days. I went in to the store for the interview and was taken out into the mall by one of the other managers and asked very standard interview questions(Strengths, weaknesses, etc). It almost seemed like the only purpose of the interview was that they were required to give some sort of interview. I was then taken into the store and asked to do a role-play skills test in which I put together an outfit for the "customer". I was then offered a position immediately.

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details – I had a Group interview at soho. The manager brought us to the back to a very dark area. We sat in a circle and basically the only way you could stand out was contribute in discussion.

Interview Question – What's the latest trend ?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details – I would shop at AE constantly and one day the hiring manager checked me out and asked me to put in an application. I put it in a few days later, she went on vacation for like 2 weeks and then called me in for an interview. All she did was fawn over me and tell me how amazed she was at my independence at a young age. She hired me on the spot, i was clocking in for my first shift the very next week.

Interview Question – They were all practical and easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She said she would start me out at 7.50, I already had a night job waiting tables, so i accepted it as a morning job.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – I saw on Craigslist that AE was having a new store opening in St.Augustine Florida. I sent my resume via email at the address provided. The interview was not long, they just asked questions like tell me about yourself, what's your availability, what is customer service to you and what area do you want to work. Fitting rooms, stock, sales floor or cashier. There was four women who sat across from us and five candidates. We filled put applications and a questionnaire about words that describe you. The store opens at the end of July. It seemed like as long as you had retail experience and looked like you wanted to be there did you get hired. Overall pretty easy.

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job closer to my house and with better pay.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Lucky the girl I asked was the hiring manager so she said yes and grabbed me and application. She asked about my availability and were I went to school. I went to the food court to fill out my application and handed if right back to her after , she said she wanted an interview for the next day around two and she would call. The next day she called around 11 am and said to come in at 2. It was a group interview only me and another girl. She asked why we want to work here. Basic interview questions. Then made us pick out specific outfits that are blue and in the range of $100. It was a 10 min interview . Then I left. Got a call like 3 days later asking of I can come in for orientation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters Sale Associate interview questions and advice. All 222 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees and interview candidates.