American Eagle Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.1

235 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in September 2014.

group interview, just asked basic questions, there was only one other person in my group so it was kind of intimidating, but the questions were easy, just smile and say positive things

Other Interview Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in to turn in an application and I got interviewed on the spot. They had me take a "survey" at the cash register and it asked me to check the box's next to the words that described me and then the next page was to check the box next to the words that described how I thought you should act at work. After that the manager proceeded to ask me a couple simple questions. I got a call two days later from another one of the managers offering me the job. I accepted. That following Sunday they had me come in to the store at 8:00 am with three other new hires for our "orientation" we all sat at a table and watched training videos and read over the employee work book. They provided doughnuts and candy for us to eat while we got to know each other. Once the store opened we got trained by some senior associates on how to do simple tasks. They had my schedule ready and I started a part time position about a week after the orientation.

Interview Questions
    • When are you available to start working?   View Answer
    • Do you have a reliable means of transportation?   View Answer
    • What is your current availability?   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words the describe you.   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words that describe how you think you should act at work.   View Answer
    She said there was a possibility to negotiate my pay but I was too stupid to ask for more money!

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring and the person at the door called the manager and I dropped off my resume and he asked me about my previous work experience and availability right off the bat. He then said they would call me to schedule an interview. They called 2 weeks letter to schedule the interview a week after that. When I went in they gave me the application and I filled it out with the person interviewing me. He liked me a lot and said I would move on to the sconce terrier with the HR manager and she interviewed me. They both basically asked the same thing things: tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, who inspires you, how do you deal with rowdy people

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Augustine, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I applied for American Eagle in June 2014 and about 2 weeks later i get an email inviting me to a hiring event in July 2014...Its for a new store opening up near me... I went on that and thought i did great... it was easy questions....
    1. Tell me about yourselves
    2. why should we hire you
    3. Availability
    4. Why do you would be perfect for this job
    5. What position interests you

Interview Questions
    • But now i'm confused... I didn't get a call yet but another email inviting me to another hiring event and it looks just like the first one... Is this a mix-up or should i attend the second hiring event??   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

You have a group interview in which they look at how you're interacting with the other people while waiting on the manager to come up to you. They will ask each of you a different question. It's very low key. I wore their brand of clothing during the interview. It's not hard at all.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help someone.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; minimum wage

Sales Associate Interview

I had a Group interview at soho. The manager brought us to the back to a very dark area. We sat in a circle and basically the only way you could stand out was contribute in discussion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

So I know a friend who works at American Eagle. He was able to get the general manager to do a thing called " Screening" this past monday while she looked over my resume, she was very friendly. That same day I got a call about coming in for an interview tuesday at 2:00 I show up 1:45, It was a group interview so I saw the other interviewees. Interview process went well the interviewer told us in about a week you will hear if you got the job or not, I didn't get a call so I made the effort to call I basically said I got interviewed by such & such my name is such & such I'm wondering if the position is still open? The man I spoke to told me he'll call me right back and he did, he notified me that I'm moving on in the next process, orientation :).

Interview Questions
    " We're offering a sales associate position 8 hours an hour will you accept ? "

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Lucky the girl I asked was the hiring manager so she said yes and grabbed me and application. She asked about my availability and were I went to school. I went to the food court to fill out my application and handed if right back to her after , she said she wanted an interview for the next day around two and she would call. The next day she called around 11 am and said to come in at 2. It was a group interview only me and another girl. She asked why we want to work here. Basic interview questions. Then made us pick out specific outfits that are blue and in the range of $100. It was a 10 min interview . Then I left. Got a call like 3 days later asking of I can come in for orientation.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I saw on Craigslist that AE was having a new store opening in St.Augustine Florida. I sent my resume via email at the address provided. The interview was not long, they just asked questions like tell me about yourself, what's your availability, what is customer service to you and what area do you want to work. Fitting rooms, stock, sales floor or cashier. There was four women who sat across from us and five candidates. We filled put applications and a questionnaire about words that describe you. The store opens at the end of July. It seemed like as long as you had retail experience and looked like you wanted to be there did you get hired. Overall pretty easy.

I was offered a job closer to my house and with better pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

The hiring process was easy. I went in for an application, filled it out in the store, and was given an interview the next day. The interview was easy, asked if I was bilingual, asked me how to sell a credit card.

The job is at one of the busiest malls in Las Vegas. We have lots of tourists. They are big on selling the Loyalty rewards and their Credit cards. Goal is to get one credit card per shift per employee. I got three credit cards on one shift, but a few days later, I was told I don't work hard enough to get the Credit Cards and my hours were cut by half. The store manager is not easy to talk to, they belittle and berate you if you get the slightest bit of confidence.
    Just work hard every shift to get the cards and rewards.

One thing that is hard to work with is the Call in Schedule. You're scheduled shift is 3:00 p.m to 5:30 p.m. but your call in schedule is 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. meaning you have to call in at 1:00 p.m. to find out if they need you or not.
    Days off, you may not even be scheduled, but you will have a Call-In schedule for that day. So, you're basically setting up your day as if you're working, but they may not even need you at all. Read the fine print before you sign this page, they make you sign it before explaining.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard.
      If this were your store, how would you sell me a credit card?
        View Answer
    Pay is 8.75 and non negotiable. No raise either for Jean Experts or Stylists.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!