American Eagle Outfitters

Average Difficulty
220 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Augustine, FL

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I applied for American Eagle in June 2014 and about 2 weeks later i get an email inviting me to a hiring event in July 2014...Its for a new store opening up near me... I went on that and thought i did great... it was easy questions....
1. Tell me about yourselves
2. why should we hire you
3. Availability
4. Why do you would be perfect for this job
5. What position interests you

Interview Question – But now i'm confused... I didn't get a call yet but another email inviting me to another hiring event and it looks just like the first one... Is this a mix-up or should i attend the second hiring event??   Answer Question

Deer Park, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2013.

Interview Details – Ask for a job application from a manager. Fill it all out there because then you have some time to speek to the manager. (Remember you social security when filling out the app). Then, during the interview dress appopriately. They ask about yourself so feel free to talk much about yourself.

Interview Question – Picking out an outfit for the opposite gender.   Answer Question

Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online and interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – You have a group interview in which they look at how you're interacting with the other people while waiting on the manager to come up to you. They will ask each of you a different question. It's very low key. I wore their brand of clothing during the interview. It's not hard at all.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help someone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation; minimum wage

Wichita, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I walked into the store, which had a hiring sign in front and asked for an application. Once I turned in my application they told me that I dressed the part for working there and told me to come back for an interview in two days. I went in to the store for the interview and was taken out into the mall by one of the other managers and asked very standard interview questions(Strengths, weaknesses, etc). It almost seemed like the only purpose of the interview was that they were required to give some sort of interview. I was then taken into the store and asked to do a role-play skills test in which I put together an outfit for the "customer". I was then offered a position immediately.

Interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters

Interview Details – I had a Group interview at soho. The manager brought us to the back to a very dark area. We sat in a circle and basically the only way you could stand out was contribute in discussion.

Interview Question – What's the latest trend ?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2013.

Interview Details – I would shop at AE constantly and one day the hiring manager checked me out and asked me to put in an application. I put it in a few days later, she went on vacation for like 2 weeks and then called me in for an interview. All she did was fawn over me and tell me how amazed she was at my independence at a young age. She hired me on the spot, i was clocking in for my first shift the very next week.

Interview Question – They were all practical and easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – She said she would start me out at 7.50, I already had a night job waiting tables, so i accepted it as a morning job.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

Interview Details – I saw on Craigslist that AE was having a new store opening in St.Augustine Florida. I sent my resume via email at the address provided. The interview was not long, they just asked questions like tell me about yourself, what's your availability, what is customer service to you and what area do you want to work. Fitting rooms, stock, sales floor or cashier. There was four women who sat across from us and five candidates. We filled put applications and a questionnaire about words that describe you. The store opens at the end of July. It seemed like as long as you had retail experience and looked like you wanted to be there did you get hired. Overall pretty easy.

Reason for Declining – I was offered a job closer to my house and with better pay.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked if they were hiring. Lucky the girl I asked was the hiring manager so she said yes and grabbed me and application. She asked about my availability and were I went to school. I went to the food court to fill out my application and handed if right back to her after , she said she wanted an interview for the next day around two and she would call. The next day she called around 11 am and said to come in at 2. It was a group interview only me and another girl. She asked why we want to work here. Basic interview questions. Then made us pick out specific outfits that are blue and in the range of $100. It was a 10 min interview . Then I left. Got a call like 3 days later asking of I can come in for orientation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Bakersfield, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

Interview Details – I didn't even have an interview. I walked in and asked for an application and because i shop there so much the manager, Stephanie, just told me to fill it out and come back the following Sunday to fill out paper work. It also was around the holidays so they were mass hiring

Interview Question – She just told me, "I know you'll be a great fit here."   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2014.

Interview Details – I went in to ask if they were hiring and was told that they were and given an application. I went back in the next day to turn it in and gave it to the hiring manager. She told me I could expect a call for an interview the following Monday. I was called the next day and was asked if I could come in on Monday for an interview. I did and the interview went very smoothly. It was a group interview but there were only two of us. We were both told by the assistant manager that she wanted to hire us but had to talk to the manager for a final decision. That interview was three weeks ago and I still haven't gotten a call back from them. I've called twice and the second time I was told that by the employee talking directly to the manager while I was on the phone that I could expect a call from her on Monday. It's Tuesday night right now so I will be calling again tomorrow to see if I am still being considered. Overall I was very impressed with the interview process but not at all impressed with the way they have handled getting back to me.

Interview Question – No difficult questions were asked. We were asked to tell about ourselves and previous work experience.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 220 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees and interview candidates.