American Eagle Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.1

234 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Poughkeepsie, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2012.

I went to the store to fill out the job application and then like a week or so later I got a phone call asking me to setup a interview with them and so I did and when I got there for my interview I was already running a few minutes late but I did call them ahead of time and they seemed understand and once I got there they had already started the group interview and my interview was done right in front of the store in the middle of the mall

Other Interview Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in October 2013.

I'd turned in applications every three months over the past year. Never heard anything. Finally spoke with someone at another store who was shocked I hadn't even been interviewed. She told me she would hire me on the spot but I was from out of town so I had to decline but was very grateful for the offer. Got her to reference me at the store in my town and that landed me an interview. It was a group interview which I knew I was probably not going to be that good at. I connect better on 1:1 situations. Never heard anything after that. I was extremely disappointed because I really really really wanted to work there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

The hiring process was easy. I went in for an application, filled it out in the store, and was given an interview the next day. The interview was easy, asked if I was bilingual, asked me how to sell a credit card.

The job is at one of the busiest malls in Las Vegas. We have lots of tourists. They are big on selling the Loyalty rewards and their Credit cards. Goal is to get one credit card per shift per employee. I got three credit cards on one shift, but a few days later, I was told I don't work hard enough to get the Credit Cards and my hours were cut by half. The store manager is not easy to talk to, they belittle and berate you if you get the slightest bit of confidence.
    Just work hard every shift to get the cards and rewards.

One thing that is hard to work with is the Call in Schedule. You're scheduled shift is 3:00 p.m to 5:30 p.m. but your call in schedule is 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. meaning you have to call in at 1:00 p.m. to find out if they need you or not.
    Days off, you may not even be scheduled, but you will have a Call-In schedule for that day. So, you're basically setting up your day as if you're working, but they may not even need you at all. Read the fine print before you sign this page, they make you sign it before explaining.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard.
      If this were your store, how would you sell me a credit card?
        View Answer
    Pay is 8.75 and non negotiable. No raise either for Jean Experts or Stylists.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2013.

All you need to do is show up when they ask you too and be dressed in a clean laid back style. be excited and outgoing. Make sure you get an answer by the end of the week. And do not call a million times if you did not get a phone call back. You didnt get hired dont embarrass yourself.

Interview Questions
    • the managers might be a little harsh or busy and might not pay attention as much.   Answer Question
    Nothing really. You start as base wage in your area and work your way up.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2011.

I was finished with my masters degree and I needed a job. I dropped off my resume to the manager and she was a little awestruck at my educational background and work experience. She even said that I was so overqualified for this position. I told her that I really needed a job. She shook her head and said she would get back to me. I left and received a call ten minutes later from the hiring manager. She asked if I could come in now for an interview. I came back and met her outside.
    The entire conversation was quite easy and we talked about my going to graduate school in Michigan. She asked me if this was a goto job until I received a better offer. She told me three times that I was so overqualified. The entire interview lasted about a hour.
    The next day I was called for a second interview with the sales manager and store director. They asked me typical interview questions. That interview took close to forty minutes. I shook their hands and left. I got a call back in five minutes with a job offer. Even though I work for a communications company now, I still work holidays for this company.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about American Eagle? Do you think store expansion is important? How would you explain the history of the company to a customer? What is aerie? As a man I thought the last question was a little awkward. How would you rate us to our competitors and what are the differences you have seen?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in to turn in an application and I got interviewed on the spot. They had me take a "survey" at the cash register and it asked me to check the box's next to the words that described me and then the next page was to check the box next to the words that described how I thought you should act at work. After that the manager proceeded to ask me a couple simple questions. I got a call two days later from another one of the managers offering me the job. I accepted. That following Sunday they had me come in to the store at 8:00 am with three other new hires for our "orientation" we all sat at a table and watched training videos and read over the employee work book. They provided doughnuts and candy for us to eat while we got to know each other. Once the store opened we got trained by some senior associates on how to do simple tasks. They had my schedule ready and I started a part time position about a week after the orientation.

Interview Questions
    • When are you available to start working?   View Answer
    • Do you have a reliable means of transportation?   View Answer
    • What is your current availability?   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words the describe you.   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words that describe how you think you should act at work.   View Answer
    She said there was a possibility to negotiate my pay but I was too stupid to ask for more money!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in April 2013.

when you ask for an application they don't tell you when to bring it back or who to bring it back to. I was called by for an interview almost immediately but i had a hard time contacting the manager that called me, she seemed to be the only one who could answer my questions about the interview. Interview was actually outside of the store in the mall common area i had such a hard time focusing since there was so much going around. I got hired and the starting salary i discussed with the interviewing manager was not the salary the store manager started me off at.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult, the interviewing manager just seemed to read them from a book. She didn't ask any follow up questions.   Answer Question
    there was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kenner, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kenner, LA

I applied in-person. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I had asked for an application and turned it in with my resume (no retail experience) on the same day. It took around a month and a half for them to call me (I applied in May for a summer job and got a call back in July). I guess they weren't hiring at the time I turned my application in. Had my first interview and then within two days later I received a call for a second interview. They made me feel very comfortable and relaxed. Two days after my second interview, I was offered a job. During my first interview, I had to take some sort of personality test online before she would interview me.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic. But I felt like during my second interview, some had more so right and wrong answers. When asked how would I handle a situation of multiple customers at once, I felt like the hiring manager was expecting me to say that I would ask for help from other employees and when I did say that, he shook his head and put a check mark next to the question on his page. Some questions I answered and he put stars next to them. I was worried that I may have answered some of them wrong due to him marking next to every question I answered.   Answer Question

I declined because I was offered another job the day before that I was much more interested in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2010.

Asked for application from manage, completed and returned to store. Contacted for a group interview. Interview with 6 other people, specific questions dealing with retail/customer service experiences. Was offered the position a week or two after the interview (one other person from my interview offered position as well)

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember. Try to use experiences to answer questions. Make your answer unique.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Short interview with hiring manager - very nice and easygoing, especially since I was nervous. Asked to describe myself and sales experience. Talked about difficult situations and how I handled them. Pretty standard retail interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!