American Eagle Outfitters Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

230 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Vegas, NV
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

The hiring process was easy. I went in for an application, filled it out in the store, and was given an interview the next day. The interview was easy, asked if I was bilingual, asked me how to sell a credit card.

The job is at one of the busiest malls in Las Vegas. We have lots of tourists. They are big on selling the Loyalty rewards and their Credit cards. Goal is to get one credit card per shift per employee. I got three credit cards on one shift, but a few days later, I was told I don't work hard enough to get the Credit Cards and my hours were cut by half. The store manager is not easy to talk to, they belittle and berate you if you get the slightest bit of confidence.
Just work hard every shift to get the cards and rewards.

One thing that is hard to work with is the Call in Schedule. You're scheduled shift is 3:00 p.m to 5:30 p.m. but your call in schedule is 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. meaning you have to call in at 1:00 p.m. to find out if they need you or not.
Days off, you may not even be scheduled, but you will have a Call-In schedule for that day. So, you're basically setting up your day as if you're working, but they may not even need you at all. Read the fine print before you sign this page, they make you sign it before explaining.

Interview Questions
  • None of the questions were hard.
    If this were your store, how would you sell me a credit card?
      View Answer
Pay is 8.75 and non negotiable. No raise either for Jean Experts or Stylists.

Other Interview Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in January 2011.

I was finished with my masters degree and I needed a job. I dropped off my resume to the manager and she was a little awestruck at my educational background and work experience. She even said that I was so overqualified for this position. I told her that I really needed a job. She shook her head and said she would get back to me. I left and received a call ten minutes later from the hiring manager. She asked if I could come in now for an interview. I came back and met her outside.
    The entire conversation was quite easy and we talked about my going to graduate school in Michigan. She asked me if this was a goto job until I received a better offer. She told me three times that I was so overqualified. The entire interview lasted about a hour.
    The next day I was called for a second interview with the sales manager and store director. They asked me typical interview questions. That interview took close to forty minutes. I shook their hands and left. I got a call back in five minutes with a job offer. Even though I work for a communications company now, I still work holidays for this company.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about American Eagle? Do you think store expansion is important? How would you explain the history of the company to a customer? What is aerie? As a man I thought the last question was a little awkward. How would you rate us to our competitors and what are the differences you have seen?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corpus Christi, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corpus Christi, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in to turn in an application and I got interviewed on the spot. They had me take a "survey" at the cash register and it asked me to check the box's next to the words that described me and then the next page was to check the box next to the words that described how I thought you should act at work. After that the manager proceeded to ask me a couple simple questions. I got a call two days later from another one of the managers offering me the job. I accepted. That following Sunday they had me come in to the store at 8:00 am with three other new hires for our "orientation" we all sat at a table and watched training videos and read over the employee work book. They provided doughnuts and candy for us to eat while we got to know each other. Once the store opened we got trained by some senior associates on how to do simple tasks. They had my schedule ready and I started a part time position about a week after the orientation.

Interview Questions
    • When are you available to start working?   View Answer
    • Do you have a reliable means of transportation?   View Answer
    • What is your current availability?   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words the describe you.   View Answer
    • Check the box next to the words that describe how you think you should act at work.   View Answer
    She said there was a possibility to negotiate my pay but I was too stupid to ask for more money!

Anonymous Employee  in  Kenner, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Kenner, LA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I had asked for an application and turned it in with my resume (no retail experience) on the same day. It took around a month and a half for them to call me (I applied in May for a summer job and got a call back in July). I guess they weren't hiring at the time I turned my application in. Had my first interview and then within two days later I received a call for a second interview. They made me feel very comfortable and relaxed. Two days after my second interview, I was offered a job. During my first interview, I had to take some sort of personality test online before she would interview me.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic. But I felt like during my second interview, some had more so right and wrong answers. When asked how would I handle a situation of multiple customers at once, I felt like the hiring manager was expecting me to say that I would ask for help from other employees and when I did say that, he shook his head and put a check mark next to the question on his page. Some questions I answered and he put stars next to them. I was worried that I may have answered some of them wrong due to him marking next to every question I answered.   Answer Question

I declined because I was offered another job the day before that I was much more interested in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in May 2010.

Asked for application from manage, completed and returned to store. Contacted for a group interview. Interview with 6 other people, specific questions dealing with retail/customer service experiences. Was offered the position a week or two after the interview (one other person from my interview offered position as well)

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember. Try to use experiences to answer questions. Make your answer unique.   Answer Question
    I didn't try to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in June 2010.

Short interview with hiring manager - very nice and easygoing, especially since I was nervous. Asked to describe myself and sales experience. Talked about difficult situations and how I handled them. Pretty standard retail interview.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 days - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

So I know a friend who works at American Eagle. He was able to get the general manager to do a thing called " Screening" this past monday while she looked over my resume, she was very friendly. That same day I got a call about coming in for an interview tuesday at 2:00 I show up 1:45, It was a group interview so I saw the other interviewees. Interview process went well the interviewer told us in about a week you will hear if you got the job or not, I didn't get a call so I made the effort to call I basically said I got interviewed by such & such my name is such & such I'm wondering if the position is still open? The man I spoke to told me he'll call me right back and he did, he notified me that I'm moving on in the next process, orientation :).

Interview Questions
    " We're offering a sales associate position 8 hours an hour will you accept ? "

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters.

I walked in and asked if they were hiring and the person at the door called the manager and I dropped off my resume and he asked me about my previous work experience and availability right off the bat. He then said they would call me to schedule an interview. They called 2 weeks letter to schedule the interview a week after that. When I went in they gave me the application and I filled it out with the person interviewing me. He liked me a lot and said I would move on to the sconce terrier with the HR manager and she interviewed me. They both basically asked the same thing things: tell me about yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses, who inspires you, how do you deal with rowdy people

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in July 2014.

I went into the store in late June and asked a sales associate for a job application. I filled it out right away in the food court so I could return it right away. They asked for three professional references, which kind of worried me since, as this would be my first job, I could only put down my one volunteer supervisor. When I dropped off my application to the hiring manager, she looked over my application quickly and caught me a little off guard by asking me a few questions like why AE, what do you want to do here? Overall, she was very friendly and told me that they weren't hiring just then but she would call back in July when they were closer to peak season. I was a little concerned that this was a just a lie and they didn't actually want to call me back for an interview, but sure enough, about two weeks later, I got a call.

I went in a few days later for the interview and made sure to dress in American Eagle clothes and try to match their style. I showed up ten minutes early and was the first one there, so I helped the hiring manager set up the interview area in the food court. It was a group interview with 7 candidates total, one of which who had just dropped by and hadn't even filled out and application. We went around and everyone answered each question, and I was first both times. I was surprised that she only asked two questions to the group because everyone has quite similar responses. She then talked really enthusiastically for fifteen minutes or so about the company, type of work we would be doing, hours,etc. I think that what made me stand out there was that I stayed engaged and made eye contact while everyone else slowly stopped paying attention and gazed off. She then asked if we had any questions and I asked what her favorite part of her job was and a quick follow up question on floor sets.

I got a call the next day that said I got the job! My orientation is in two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have?   View Answer
    • Why did you choose to apply to American Eagle and what position would you like to work?   View Answer
    I was offered $8/hr and didn't push it and don't think I could have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Deer Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deer Park, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Eagle Outfitters in March 2013.

Ask for a job application from a manager. Fill it all out there because then you have some time to speek to the manager. (Remember you social security when filling out the app). Then, during the interview dress appopriately. They ask about yourself so feel free to talk much about yourself.

Interview Questions

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!