American Express

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – It was an interview with many phases. I met several people. They were all very friendly.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult. It was a very straightforward conversation.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via campus recruiting and immediately had an interview scheduled the next week. The first interview was on campus and it went very well. The interview is structured in 45 minute interviews with 2 different recruiters. The first 45 minute interview went really well. The questions were behavioral, leadership, teamwork, and some technical questions. The second second 45 minute interview took place immediately after my first one. The questions the second interviewer asked were similar to the first set. In summary, American Express is looking for candidates with good teamwork and leadership experience. Both interviews that day went smooth and it felt like I was having a conversation with a good friend and thats what they want it to be like. I will explain the questions in detail below.

After these two 45 minute interviews I was contacted immediately the next few days regarding an invitation to a final interview on-site in Phoenix AZ. I travelled to Phoenix AZ from Tucson AZ the next week. American Express was kind to pay for my gas and hotel room. The next morning I went to the American Express site around 7:30AM along with a bunch of other University of Arizona and Arizona Statue University candidates going for the same potential positions for Amex. We were lead to a group meeting room and given our schedules for the day. I had my interview immediately that morning. The interview style and process was similar to the first round interview I had on campus. 2 sets of 45 minute interviews with 2 technical mangers. The interview was almost the same style. Asked leadership, technical and teamwork questions. I was very pleased with their professionally, friendliness, knowledge and passion of their field. After both interviews I went on a tour around the beautiful American Express campus. After the tour we were all served a delicious lunch and had a chance to have a chat with the managers present. After all of that we were told when we would hear the news for a follow up offer or denial very soon.

The next week I got word of an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to deal with difficult team members in order to complete a project.   Answer Question
  • Name a time where you had to use your persuasion skills in order to complete a certain task.   Answer Question
  • Name a time where you had to seek someone outside your circle to help you complete a project.   Answer Question
  • Tell me how file compression works without destroying or harming the quality of a file.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at American Express in June 2010.

Interview Details – It was well organized.Phone call from HR.Then they call you onsite for 3 rounds of interviews. First goes with the hiring manager, then with the Director level person take the interview and then closes with the HR round

Interview Question – HR round - do you share the news with your friends when you are upset   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – Met with three or four people--mostly directors and VPs

Interview Question – No questions were too difficult   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Recruiter, was very nice and lasted about 30 minutes. Make sure you do research on what position you are applying for, so you can show them that you understand the job qualifications. Also, apply your prior experience to the job qualifications, so they see you have had pas "experience" in those fields.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for American Express?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in December 2013.

Interview Details – 1 written test + 3 Rounds of interview - on campus

Interview Question – Everything from Resume, advantages and dis-advantages of variations from projects in resume. Applying ML on case studies   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Consisted of 2 HR rounds and a technical round. The hiring process is time taking but joinings are prompt. What kills the whole experience though are the salary packages offered, which range from disappointing to outright demeaning. Whats worse is that the arrogant HR department tries to coax you to join at such salaries by playing mind games. Its as if they just want to fill the position by hook or by crook.

Interview Question – Example of a situation where you committed a mistake?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The stupid 'not more than 30% raise policy'. Packages offered show that recession has hit the company hard and caused a shift from qualitative hiring to quantitative hiring. This justifies the rapid increase in dissatisfied customers venting out their anger on their facebook page. A core luxury services company without quality people, its a sinking ship. They show you the non-existent dream of working for a company like Amex in an attempt to cover up for the meagre compensation packages offered.

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – I had three rounds. First, with the junior HR, then the team leader and finally the senior HR after which there was a domain proficiency test and finally, I was given the offer letter which was not at all at par with industry standards and therefore, declined.

Interview Question – None. It was on expected lines.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They have an archaic HR policy according to which they cannot give a raise of more than 30% above your previous salary no matter what profile you may be hired for. It was so absurd I just could not resist declining it.

Noida (India)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Express in September 2008.

Interview Details – 1) It begins with an aptitude test, which is quite customized to the job they hire for.
2) H.R discussion which checks the perception and candidate's commitment.
3) Operations round ; here you would be grilled by your hiring managers to see if you suit them or not. Rather you can be a fit in team plus fit for job.

So, two aspects : team and job, then comes the psychological tests req for job.

Interview Question – Business cases are frequently used and surprise questions related to general knowledge just to divert you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is to project your strengths and convince them how good an asset will y0u be. Salary - it's mostly in a range, you need to press for it, but it's risky to do that

Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in June 2010.

Interview Details – The initial contact was made by telephone. After a few questions regarding my resume, the human resources representative scheduled a second interview with a manager.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Analyst interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.