American Express Customer Care Professional Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.2

Customer Care Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in July 2014.

Interview

First, you'll apply online. Applying online is a vigorous process in my opinion, you're doing assessments which are very relevant to the job that give you an idea of what it's like to work in a Call Center environment. Then, you'll have an assessment that is more math and logical (if that's the word to describe it - this is my least favorite). Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will do a phone interview. They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Helpful hint: Explain the customers emotions and the outcome of the situation. If all is well, you'll be scheduled for an in-person interview. The questions will be very similar, "Tell me about a time ..." They want to know how you handle yourself in customer service.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how new releases or procedures in your current position made it difficult to do your job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. American Express pays way better than their competitors.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Customer Care Professional Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and then did an assessments which are very relevant to the job.. Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will send you the information as to do a web interview. . They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Google "Star method" and this will help you out. It was easy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you helped a customer and its outcome.   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional Interview

Interview

phone interview followed up by face to face Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client? Answer Question
    Why do you want to work for American Express? ical

Customer Care Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

Work from Home position. Entire interview process done over the phone. After applying contacted first via email to complete assessment. Within 48 hours contacted via email to arrange a phone interview. Phone interview was STAR method at the end of the phone interview made arrangements for follow up with Hiring Manager for the next day. Additional situational questions were asked using the STAR method. Both interviewers where great. They made me feel like I wanted to work for the company. After the second interview I was told someone would get back to me within 1 week to let me know either way. Offer call came within 48 hours and equipment arrived 1 week later after the background check was completed.

Customer Care Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

Hiring and interviewing process was efficient and fast from initial interview to job offer.

Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express (West Valley City, UT).

Interview

Starting with applying online. Next, evaluation of skills (assessment test). Phone interview. Personal interview. Email of job or rejection.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you had a confrontation with a co-worker.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Submit the online application, then a short phone interview, then in person interview. They are very pointed and detailed as to what they would like in an employee, as this is what drives their success. The brand and culture are very important to the company. Some of the procedures and requirements have changed since I first applied.

Interview Questions

• What makes you the best candidate for this position and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

When I started there was only 1 shift avail and no weekends. The pay was better than the average for the area and benefits started day 1. The interview person was wonderful knowledgeable and provided all the information needed to make a decision. There was not much need to negotiate,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

It was very lengthy but I received an offer at the table before I left. I met with Alva and only spoke with her. I know some others had to be interviewed by multiple HR reps.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to provide exceptional customer service and how did you do it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maricopa, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express (Maricopa, AZ) in November 2012.

Interview

All virtual for Homebased! Quite impressive. 2 extensive phone interviews, background check and drug screening. Must pass screening test to move forward with phone interview. Test consisted of customer service questions, keyboarding, basic math, basic apptitude test.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you resolved a customer complaint? Research STAR menthod to answer questions properly.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Initially contacted by email to do a skills assessment test. Test was the same exact test I had just taken at United Healthcare the day before. It is a timed test consisting of 4 customer service calls. You basically indicate your responses to each scenario. Key to doing well on this test is to work quickly. Don't linger reading and re-reading. I was able to clip 10 minutes of time off the test because I had just taken it the day before and was already familiar. Because of that, I can confidently say that "speed" is going to be a factor in whether you get a phone interview or not. I believe if your score is not over a certain number, they just won't call you. I then received an invitation for phone interview. It went very well. The questions were typical behavioral-type questions. Why do you want to work here? Tell me about a time you had a difficult client or stressful interaction? Tell me about a time you went above and beyond? I was then invited for an onsite interview. The interview was with two people together. Very nice and pleasant, but still professional. Again, all behavioral questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.
    My overall impression is that American Express continues to recruit and recruit until they can cull off the actual cream of the crop in recruits. From looking around, I sense that they are more inclined to hire reps between 25 and 40, although it does seem they have seasoned managerial people who fall the other side of 40. I was kept in the hiring process for Amex for about three weeks. I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for American Express?   Answer Question