American Express

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – phone interview followed up by face to face Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client? Answer Question
Why do you want to work for American Express? ical

Interview Question – typical star questions   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Work from Home position. Entire interview process done over the phone. After applying contacted first via email to complete assessment. Within 48 hours contacted via email to arrange a phone interview. Phone interview was STAR method at the end of the phone interview made arrangements for follow up with Hiring Manager for the next day. Additional situational questions were asked using the STAR method. Both interviewers where great. They made me feel like I wanted to work for the company. After the second interview I was told someone would get back to me within 1 week to let me know either way. Offer call came within 48 hours and equipment arrived 1 week later after the background check was completed.

Customer Care Professional

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Hiring and interviewing process was efficient and fast from initial interview to job offer.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

West Valley City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Starting with applying online. Next, evaluation of skills (assessment test). Phone interview. Personal interview. Email of job or rejection.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had a confrontation with a co-worker.   View Answer

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Submit the online application, then a short phone interview, then in person interview. They are very pointed and detailed as to what they would like in an employee, as this is what drives their success. The brand and culture are very important to the company. Some of the procedures and requirements have changed since I first applied.

Interview Question – What makes you the best candidate for this position and why.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – When I started there was only 1 shift avail and no weekends. The pay was better than the average for the area and benefits started day 1. The interview person was wonderful knowledgeable and provided all the information needed to make a decision. There was not much need to negotiate,

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in October 2009.

Interview Details – Very polite and professional. You should dress to impress. Your phone interview is very important. After your phone interview you will go in for a in person interview. READ the walls and everything around you. You will have to wait in the lobby and all the walls have signs telling you what American Express belives in and truthly base they whole job and company on these principles

Interview Question – Why should American Express hire you?   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Initially contacted by email to do a skills assessment test. Test was the same exact test I had just taken at United Healthcare the day before. It is a timed test consisting of 4 customer service calls. You basically indicate your responses to each scenario. Key to doing well on this test is to work quickly. Don't linger reading and re-reading. I was able to clip 10 minutes of time off the test because I had just taken it the day before and was already familiar. Because of that, I can confidently say that "speed" is going to be a factor in whether you get a phone interview or not. I believe if your score is not over a certain number, they just won't call you. I then received an invitation for phone interview. It went very well. The questions were typical behavioral-type questions. Why do you want to work here? Tell me about a time you had a difficult client or stressful interaction? Tell me about a time you went above and beyond? I was then invited for an onsite interview. The interview was with two people together. Very nice and pleasant, but still professional. Again, all behavioral questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.
My overall impression is that American Express continues to recruit and recruit until they can cull off the actual cream of the crop in recruits. From looking around, I sense that they are more inclined to hire reps between 25 and 40, although it does seem they have seasoned managerial people who fall the other side of 40. I was kept in the hiring process for Amex for about three weeks. I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for American Express?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in September 2009.

Interview Details – I found job posting online. Uploaded resume, had to take a brief skills test, answered a few more questions. I recieved a confirmation email that my information had been recieved. (This was all done late at night.) Early next morning I recieved a call to schedule an interview, which was set for the next day.
When I arrived at the interview, I spoke with the hiring lead. She was very nice, asked basic background questions and about previous work history. We hit it off pretty well, then she brought in her manager. He came in, explained a little more about what the job entailed and then he did a role play senario. That went well. And he offered me the job.

Interview Question – I see you've never worked in a call center before. How would you handle the stress of back to back to back calls?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't any negotiation. I think I was in such shock that I got the job, I said yes to whatever the offer was. However, after having worked here, I've learned that it can be negotiated. You do have to say that you've recieved an offer of $xx.xx from another company, and you may get that little bump up. This could back fire if you've miscalculated how "valuable" you could be to the company.

Very Easy Interview

Brighton, England (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Interview Details – One Phone interview - A friendly chat to see if you understand the role that has been applied for and then a competencies based interview to see your customer care skills and understanding of putting customer first

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were wrong and how you rectified it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NONE

Brighton, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express in January 2013.

Interview Details – I had to complete 2 online tests, had a telephone interview, an assessment centre followed by a final face to face interview where I had to do a role play and answer more STAR style questions. It was a fairly lengthy process but I was extremely impressed by their organisation, and the help I received to prepare for the assessment centre.

Interview Question – the roleplay.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation allowed but I was told about the benefits and healthy bonuses available.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Customer Care Professional interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.