American Express

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Plantation, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2009.

Interview Details – Receive first interview over the phone, second interview is done on location after taking an assessment test. Then your job experience and qualifications are discussed and then your potential job description. Then you will discuss compensation. After this fact you will receive a job offer, and you may accept or decline.

Interview Question – The on-site assessment is pretty extensive.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very easy. They are willing to offer you what you're worth and they spare no expenses.

West Valley City, UT

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, there was an online application (very straight forward) and then an online assessment. You are require to complete the test/assessment before you submit the application. Although the test wasn't terribly difficult, there are certain sections I struggled with more than others (the math/logic test was moderately difficult and the personality questions were sometimes confusing). After submitting the application, I heard from someone at Amex within a few days. They scheduled a phone interview for the following day. The phone interview was about 25 minutes, consisted of very typical customer service experience questions, and at the end the interviewer (who was very kind) asked me if I could come in for an in person group interview the next week. The group interview was different, and kind of exciting. I was with 8 people, and after being introduced to 3 of the "team leaders", we were passed around (individually) between each of them and had a 10-15 minute interview. No part of the interview process took place with other candidates in the room, which was nice. Each team leader had different questions, and each one of them also asked that you provide them with a question or 2 of your own. I strongly recommend researching the company and the position you are applying for and writing down 6-7 good questions for them; things you actually are curious about or would like to understand better. After that (a 2 hour process in total), I recieved a call the next day with a verbal job offer. The background check and drug test process began the next week and and it took about a week and a half for everything to process and clear.

Interview Question – What motivates you to succeed in your life?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - the offer I was given was very reasonable.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in January 2013.

Interview Details – I got an e-mail from a recruiter, and scheduled a phone interview for the next day. The interviewer I spoke to was kind and courteous (I had pneumonia, and my voice was raspy -- she was understanding and sympathetic). She asked all of your usual BI questions, but when she asked if I had any questions she was unable to answer any of the ones I posed. As it turns out, she does not work for American Express, but a screening service.

Interview Question – It was most difficult to think of questions to ask after I found out she is not actually part of the company at all. It's a bit of a catch-22 because you can't just not have questions, but it seemed like all the information she had was readily availiable on their website. If you've done your research on the company you know as much as they do.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a promotion at my current employer.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online via americanexpress.com and took an hour long assessment which has multiple parts based on call scenarios, behavioral questions, and some arithmetic questions. The next day, I received a call to schedule a phone interview for the next day. I had the phone interview with a very pleasant young woman who asked many behavioral and experience based questions. I suggest you study the STAR method and jot down some examples ahead of time to prepare. A few hours after my phone interview, she called me back to schedule a face-to-face interview for the following day. She prepared me on how I should prepare and sent me the STAR method via email. I studied the company, their mission, what they stand for and strive for, and the position itself. They are such a wonderful company that i was very pleased to study about their history. My interview was with the Hiring Manager who asked me different behavioral questions and she was very polite as well. I received an offer right then and there and I was elated! Thank you American Express! I can't wait to be a part of the team. Good luck to all of you applying. Drug/Background/Education/Criminal test are the last step.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you planned a method or idea and it didn't work out the way you might have expected.   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation needed. I was more than pleased with the offer.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was emailed about a month later by a recruiter. Had a phone interview. Was asked why wanted to work there and other behavioral questions. was called back the next day to set up and in person interview. She had told me to research the company website and learn something about the co. She had also said the questions would be similar to the ones she asked but they were all different aside from why do you want to work for us. Went in the next day for my interview. Interviewer was nice but not overly friendly. There were several behavioral interview questions. I don't know if its because I was a little nervous, but i found many of them to be a little difficult, at least with my work background. Make sure you ask questions at the end, doing your research helps with this.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at American Express?   Answer Question

Customer Care Representative

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Be prepared for lots of role playing

Interview Question – The hardest part of my interview was that it took place during a halloween party - which means I was interviewed by someone dressed as a witch - very distracting   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one. I just took it. I needed a job

Taylorsville, UT

I applied in-person - interviewed at American Express in April 2008.

Interview Details – The initial interview was with a very professional person, the people doing the 10 key test were very unprofessional. The assistant in the interview was someone who was just trying to get out of their job for an hour.

Interview Question – The questions were standard, what was your most difficult scenario and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, it was take it or leave it. They acted like they were better than anyone on the planet, which was a little disconcerting.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2012.

Interview Details – Email sent to set up Phone interview, if that goes well Then you get an Interview with the hiring manager, if that goes well then you meet briefly with the Director of the Dept, then if that goes well you get a call within 23-72 hours with an offer.

Interview Question – Give a time where you had to complete a task that was difficult or challenging.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because the offer was unbeatable compared to other call centers.

Very Easy Interview

Brighton, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Express in September 2013.

Interview Details – Slow, can't communicate directly with AMEX. Discriminatory comments were made during the interview in regards to my heritage. Incompetent and unprofessional.

Reason for Declining – Due to the negative comments made towards me, I decided that this is no company I want to work for.

Customer Care Representative

I applied online and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – I received a phone call requesting an interview for later in the week. I accepted and then got the call back for the interview. The language requirements for the position were not correct on the job listing. They were looking for someone with native level capability, specifically without any kind of non-native accent. Fluency was not sufficient if any non-native accent was detectible. Due to this, the interview was terminated 15 minutes into it.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a customer that you can't help?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Customer Care Representative interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.