American Express

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Initial contact took about 2 months from when I first applied. Job offered was a different position than originally posted. I reapplied for the position that was available and was interviewed twice within one week.
Following week I was interviewed again. Questions were relating to my work history, ways that problems may have been solved in the past, etc. I felt the interviews were thorough and brought out the best and worst parts of my work history.
The interview process to background check are very thorough. This worked for me because I am responsible and worked with customers directly for a long time.

Interview Question – Summarized: Describe a scenario where you implemented a new policy or procedure with a company.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone to setup a phone interview for the following day

Interview Question – no difficult questions   View Answer

Jacksonville, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at American Express in August 2009.

Interview Details – Filled out an application , and complete 3 test , IQ test , personality test , skills assessment . Then I had 3 interviews with 3 different managers before I recieved the position .

Interview Question – Name a time where u went above and beyond for a customer , explain What you did and how It would contribute to American Express   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't made aware that I has an option to negotiate . Always Let them know your salary requirments , if they don't meet your needs.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2013.

Interview Details – I filled out an application on the American Express website and uploaded my resume... Once you fill out the application you are going to be prompted to take an assessment. You'll receive an email confirming that your application was received. If you don't past the assessment i believe you'll also receive an email saying that you were not considered for the position. Then you'll either receive an email or phone call to set up a time for a telephone interview with an HR recruiter. My phone interview lasted around 30 mins. Be prepared to speak about your prior work history. Question:Tell me more about each position and why you moved on or wish to do so and if we were to call your prior place of employment what would they rate you from a 1-10 and why. Another question was What made you apply for this specific position? She asked me I think like 5 or six behavioral type of questions. Some of the questions were: Tell me about a time you provided extraordinary customer service? Describe a time when you displayed creativity in solving a problem or improving a process? If you pass the phone interview, the hr recruiter will set you up for a face to face interview. I recommend that you dress to impress... In this interview you meet with the hiring manager. The hiring manger is going to asked you the same type of questions, make sure you answer the questions using the star method... Google it, if you are unfamiliar with the method. After the interview with the hiring manager, you meet with the director briefly. They told me it can take up two weeks for a decision. I actually received my job offer on my way back home from the interview. If you don't get the job, they will send you an email advising you that they decided to go with other candidates. If anyone has any additional questions, comment on my post and i'll try to get back. Make sure that you also asked questions during the interviews... Sound upbeat and energized... Thank god i did not have a group panel type of interview, I hate those interviews. It is a possibility that when you go in for your face to face that it will be a group panel style of interview. Good-luck.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you used your communication skills to influence someone’s decision? Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to see things your way?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, I was very satisfied with the offer. i believe the minimum you are started off with is $15.76. Every city or state might be different, I'm in Florida. However, if you have experience the rate will increase. I was started off at almost $18.00 an hour.

Very Easy Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very easy. They are looking for a naive happy simple person who care about other people and wants to work there forever. I did talk to more then 3 different people. It was a bit nerve racking but they were all very nice. I also was told about what kind of benefits I would be getting up front. Loved that.

Interview Question – What would you do with a million bucks?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They negotiate. I got a few more bucks an hour.

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview went well. I thought the in person interview went well. They said they would contact me in two weeks to let me know. TWO WEEKS! Then AmEx never contacted me only for making it necessary for me to call them in 2.5 weeks. They apologized saying they found someone more qualified. Not very responsible in their follow up.

West Valley City, UT

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in August 2009.

Interview Details – the interview was not so different from other customer service interview as along as asking personal experience Interview question. They ask your behavior side of the question and the ethical relation questions however, they did not ask anything else other than those. In terms of technical questions or logical based analytic questions were not asked.

Interview Questions

• What would you describe most important value that is needed for you to be successful in this position?   Answer Question
  • WOuld you ever bend a company policy to satisfy the very important client because it seems to be the most beneficial to the company and the client at any specific situation?   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Express in July 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online which included a personality and skills test that took about an hour to complete. About a week later received a call to set up a phone interview, after that a one on one interview with the hiring person. She asked about my past experiences (why I left, why am I the best for the job, why AMEX type of questions), toughest question was, "you have an irate customer and you cannot transfer to a supervisor or another rep, what do you do?", I answered I would hear the customer out so that they can let their frustration out then explain why the situation occurred and offer a solution, always staying calm and professional and moving the call forward so we don't dwell on the problem but the solution.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It was a fair offer and it was the same day of the interview that I was offered the position. It paid 28000 which is more than most.

Customer Service Representative

Interview Details – Straight-foward process and over all good experience. Nice HR people and quite long phone interview. No previous experience in customer service which was required for this particular position.

Interview Question – You get 1000 services request at the same time from the same region, what do you do?   Answer Question

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – phone interview after having received email post app sumission. interviewer extremely friendly

Interview Question – most difficult challenging event in job   Answer Question

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!