American Express Director Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.7

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter and was told she wanted to consider me for two positions. She was going to talk to the hiring team to see which one was the best fit. She NEVER got back to me and I followed up twice. I was excited and then annoyed at the rudeness.

Interview Questions

• Actually it was about money which I think is a horrible way to start an interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

Interview

I completed the pre-screening interview and was told that I was exactly what they were looking for in this position. I was very excited about the position and was looking forward to my in person interview. However, the Recruiter contacted me to ask if I would hire her at my current company because it was so horrible to work for the Recruiting Company that American Express uses. The phone conversation ended when she basically stated that if I took the position at American Express then my position at my current company would be open and she could take my position. She then wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was no longer interested in the position and continued to forward my information on to the VP who was hiring for the position. The entire process was unprofessional and didn't make me want to work for a company whose recruiters were so unethical.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. It is divided in several stages. During the telephone interview all the details in your CV are verified and inconsistency noted. After that stage you may have other telephone interviews to drill down into details of your CV. In person interviews are very friendly but they are also ask you complex and difficult questions, for example what was your major mistake and how you managed it. For example if you were conditioned in your work you must perform better and you must demonstrate that you understand the breakdown and that you will be put the extra time to repair it. If this does not work you have to be ready to quit and try again in other job.

Interview Questions

• what was your major mistake and how you managed it?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

3 rounds: VP 2 other VPs SVP All done in 2 weeks. I came from inside so maybe easier.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult: how can you help me grow my business. Otherwise background questions such as why this job, what did you do in previous role to prepare you for this.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Taking three interview HR interview Admin interview Aptitude test and selected for the post of Director.

Interview Questions

• Very easy questions are asked in interview and selected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Amex. can be a very formal company, esp. around the interview. Lot's of questions that come directly from an interview guide that get at the kinds of qualities someone would need in the role.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

The Business Insights team was launched in 2010 and grew to 300 employees globally. This was primarily an analytics team that provided Merchants with custom data solutions. I was hired to develop a self-service, online data platform to service small-to-medium sized merchants. This team was smart and innovative; consultants that came from diverse backgrounds -- data, quant jocks, sales, management consulting, etc. This entire organization is now sitting under the Merchant Marketing org which really struggles to leverage data as part of their marketing strategies and consulting engagements. American Express tends to be biased towards hiring MBAs and individuals with management consulting backgrounds. They love strategy and marketing jargon but are a bit lacking by way of execution and consistency. Everyone moves jobs/departments every 18-24 months - that's an accepted practice and almost expected if you want to be promoted. While this is great for exposure to different parts of the company, it does not encourage ownership and accountability. So often times people would build products that would launch but are not sustainable... and they spent millions of dollars developing an idea that doesn't actually work in practice. Quite frankly, it's a waste.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell in a data product to a company that doesn't work with data?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

Don't waste your time. Works like a mafia. People without qualifications only hire people like them. The last thing they'll look at is your qualifications. You have to look and sound like them.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

Straight forward and quickly executed process. Met with the hiring leader and then came back to meet with a business partner and team member. Also had a conference call with the senior leader as well. The process was overall very positive and handled in a professional manner.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

Multilayered process, from initial background review, peer discussions, to telephone interview for 30 minutes. Followed by a set of steps with the hiring leader, and subsequent business unit executives through to top of business unit. Approximately a six month endeavor.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to having to reapply for your position within six months of your hiring?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Based on their MRZ calculations, i was on the higher end for base and they weren't willing to move too far off their offer. However, i negotiated an Incentive guarantee in lieu of higher base, additional vacation time, etc.