American Express Director Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2015
Updated Mar 7, 2015

2.6

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in July 2014.

I completed the pre-screening interview and was told that I was exactly what they were looking for in this position. I was very excited about the position and was looking forward to my in person interview. However, the Recruiter contacted me to ask if I would hire her at my current company because it was so horrible to work for the Recruiting Company that American Express uses. The phone conversation ended when she basically stated that if I took the position at American Express then my position at my current company would be open and she could take my position. She then wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was no longer interested in the position and continued to forward my information on to the VP who was hiring for the position. The entire process was unprofessional and didn't make me want to work for a company whose recruiters were so unethical.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express in February 2013.

3 rounds:
    VP
    2 other VPs
    SVP
    All done in 2 weeks. I came from inside so maybe easier.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult: how can you help me grow my business.
      Otherwise background questions such as why this job, what did you do in previous role to prepare you for this.

Answer Question
    Very little room to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in February 2012.

Taking three interview HR interview Admin interview Aptitude test and selected for the post of Director.

Interview Questions
    • Very easy questions are asked in interview and selected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express in February 2011.

The Business Insights team was launched in 2010 and grew to 300 employees globally. This was primarily an analytics team that provided Merchants with custom data solutions. I was hired to develop a self-service, online data platform to service small-to-medium sized merchants. This team was smart and innovative; consultants that came from diverse backgrounds -- data, quant jocks, sales, management consulting, etc. This entire organization is now sitting under the Merchant Marketing org which really struggles to leverage data as part of their marketing strategies and consulting engagements.

American Express tends to be biased towards hiring MBAs and individuals with management consulting backgrounds. They love strategy and marketing jargon but are a bit lacking by way of execution and consistency. Everyone moves jobs/departments every 18-24 months - that's an accepted practice and almost expected if you want to be promoted. While this is great for exposure to different parts of the company, it does not encourage ownership and accountability. So often times people would build products that would launch but are not sustainable... and they spent millions of dollars developing an idea that doesn't actually work in practice. Quite frankly, it's a waste.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell in a data product to a company that doesn't work with data?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

Don't waste your time. Works like a mafia. People without qualifications only hire people like them. The last thing they'll look at is your qualifications. You have to look and sound like them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in December 2009.

Straight forward and quickly executed process. Met with the hiring leader and then came back to meet with a business partner and team member. Also had a conference call with the senior leader as well. The process was overall very positive and handled in a professional manner.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in January 2009.

Multilayered process, from initial background review, peer discussions, to telephone interview for 30 minutes. Followed by a set of steps with the hiring leader, and subsequent business unit executives through to top of business unit. Approximately a six month endeavor.

Interview Questions
    • How would you react to having to reapply for your position within six months of your hiring?   View Answer
    Based on their MRZ calculations, i was on the higher end for base and they weren't willing to move too far off their offer. However, i negotiated an Incentive guarantee in lieu of higher base, additional vacation time, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express in June 2008.

Apply on-line, wait for interest to be expressed, schedule an interview time / date, conduct behavioral and situational interview, ask questions to ensure that the position matches your skills / needs, wait / accept offer. Some of my questions were not able to be addressed until I became an employee. The acceptance letter is very form driven. expect no negotiated terms with the manager other than salary and hiring bonus, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how you changed the direction of an organization or group. Provide examples of the process, procedures and techniques used to change the direction.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Moves quickly from application, to hr interview, to hiring manager interview. Hiring manager interview was a panel which included their peers and your potential peers. Interview included behavioural focussed questions, personality questions, and background questions.

Interview Questions
    • Case study - existing business scenario how would you handle it?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in September 2013.

Easy and straightforward. Just two ITWs with top executives in France and the US. The process took one month overall. I felt very confident from day one. I just had to fulfil a lot of documents for HR but nothing complicated and I was asked to provide my diplomas and previous salaries. I found the overall process easy and really quick.