American Express Finance Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2014

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2011.

Human Resources contacted me to discuss my background and salary requirement. Interviewed with two people. One my current leader, another a business partner.

Interview Questions
  • I didn't find any question difficult to answer. It was mostly about my past experiences.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Different interview styles - 1) Technical - excel, powerpoint, charts ; 2) Relationships - build and maintain relationships; 3) Communication - can you communicate well to leaders

Interview Questions
    • What is your development for the last couple of years and what have you done to address it?   View Answer
    An offer was made and I accepted. No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in January 2011.

Campus recruitment - brief and meet in October when they short list candidates for interview. 2 back to back interviews in January ( both interviews are behavioral and situational plus a mini case related to card industry finance.

Interview Questions
    • If marketing came up to you looking for a budget for an A&P plan, what factors would you consider befOre advising them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in December 2008.

Met with a peer within the team and then with the director of the group.
    Subsequently met with the VP who had some concerns that I had previously been at a higher level in the company.
    Interviews were not too tough, focussed on some leadership as well as some technical questions. Did not talk about future or where I wanted to be moving forward.
    Needed to convince why the role was right for me.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a situation where you have had to deal with a problem with a lack of information. What did you do?   Answer Question
    Very little flexibility in negotiation of offer.
    Some verbal agreements were even later omitted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in May 2008.

2 rounds interview. First one with the hiring leader and a peer; second one with the VP.

Interview Questions
    • Expect questions that demonstrate you understand the company's business models; P&L drivers. Being able to explain the company's business strategy is key to stand out, e.g. what is the P&L driver?   View Answer

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at American Express.

Applied through university recruitment programme. Application process required a cover letter and CV. First round had 2 interview which was mainly behavioural/fit questions. Second round was pretty much the same as the first round expect a lot of questions around motivation.

Non-negotiable

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2011.

They asked me to take them through my resume. After which they asked me how I would behave in 5 or 6 scenarios. Overall to took 1hr.

Interview Questions
    • Detail a time where you had to work across business units to come up with an innovative solution to a complex problem.   Answer Question

Finance Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in November 2008.

Applied online through the website and came into the NY HQ and met with two different Directors. Fairly basic behavioral type interviews - focused on Leadership, Challenges, Group experinces, Presentation of complex material, etc. However, after being here for a number of years, the interview process varies widely between groups - some are behavioral, some cases, some scenarios, and some have combo of all.

Interview Questions
    • The profitability of a certain Card business is declining. Why?   Answer Question
    Always negotiate, though there is not a ton of wiggle room in some roles.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!