American Express

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Met with 4 people separately, and received detailed questions about the position and was able to convey how I could help them succeed.

Interview Question – Are you a detail oriented type of person or a big picture type of person?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had two phone interviews. One with the hiring leader and with their manager thereafter. Planned for behavioral questions mostly, and asked a lot of thought-provoking questions about the company and the group I was being interviewed for.

Negotiation Details – I regret not negotiating my salary. Most companies offer you 33% less than they can afford to pay you in the initial job offer.

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2009.

Interview Details – I applied on the website, then about 1 week later received a call from the recruiter asking about my experience and discussing my eligibility. I then received an interview with a group/panel, and received a job offer the same week.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at American Express in February 2012.

Interview Details – Had the typical phone interview which was followed up by an in person interview in New York with the director. Interview in New York was pretty straight forward, no behavioral questions. This was then followed by an in depth interview with an Amex manager from Singapore who was moving to New York. This was full of in depth questions to get to know me a lot better. Overall the process took way too long as the interviews started in February and I didn't get to find out until June that they had already hired someone sometime in May. The only reason I found out was because I e-mailed them after not having heard from them for 2 months.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to use your business acumen.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – First was contacted by HR for a phone interview. Then followed by an interview with the hiring manager. The second interview was with the director and VP.

Interview Question – They asked if I had any hobbies.   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – The first time they called was to set up a phone interview a week later. The interview was about a half hour. After that, i waited on a scheduler, they set up an in person interview. Once there I met with the finance manager and team manager. They asked very few questions, more compliance questions.

Interview Question – They asked if I knew what an accrual was. It was so unexpected and considering it is the most common thing it threw me off.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was screened through a phone interview first, and then asked to come in twice to meet with various members of the group. Upon leaving the interview I was contacted by phone by my American Express recruiter, who asked me how it had gone, and was able to provide some feedback. Everyone who I spoke with seemed enthusiastic and positive, I had a great impression of the group almost immediately. I was asked background questions about my previous work experience, education, and qualifications. As well as personality and scenario questions relating to my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did something that your coworkers looked up to you for.   View Answers (2)
  • Example of some negative feedback you have received in a previous position, and how you responded to it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for several days to consider my offer, and was given the time that I asked for. I did not negotiate, as I was very happy with the offer.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was part of a financial analyst pipeline - essentially, having come in for a behavioral interview with 2 hiring leaders from different divisions, I was placed on a list of pre-qualified candidates for FA roles across the organization. I came in for one final round interview, meeting with 5 hiring leaders for 30 minutes each. I heard back from the recruiter 3 days later (Friday), and received an offer on the following Monday.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were able to take disparate information/data and synthesize a recommendation or provide insight?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You will be asked about your current salary, and your expectations for the position you are applying for (hard number). Be prepared to ask for what you want, but have the rationale to back it.

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in February 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke to the head of the Purchasing of Finance department which was good to be able to ask questions straight to the head instead of going through people. Some questions were about University and why I took my Economics course and then why I would be a good fit for the of Finance Analyst. There was the ability to move around the company which was good, but most of the positions required to have a Masters degree.

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online through on campus recruitment system in addition to their job posting system online. Interview was 2 45 minute interviews back to back with 2 Directors. Both had joined the firm after getting their MBA and had been with the company 4-5+ years. Very structured interview as they literally read off a script and took notes on everything I was saying. Both interviews started off with a basic tell me about yourself and then transitioned into the structured portion where all questions were taken from the bullet points of the job description. For example, one of the bullets was "Ability to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions" and the interview question was "Tell me about a time you had to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions." Other than that, basic fit interview questions - teamwork, conflict, etc. Quick turnaround as I had the interview on Tuesday and they told me on Thursday that I did not get to the next round. Both were very friendly people that I enjoyed meeting with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions   Answer Question
  • What would you think about when you were trying to launch a new product?   Answer Question
  • Your launching a new product, and the marketing manager is being aggressive with one of the assumptions that you think is wrong. How would you deal with it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Financial Analyst interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.