American Express Financial Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.8

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with 4 people separately, and received detailed questions about the position and was able to convey how I could help them succeed.

Interview Questions

• Are you a detail oriented type of person or a big picture type of person?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

First was contacted by HR for a phone interview. Then followed by an interview with the hiring manager. The second interview was with the director and VP.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had any hobbies.   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

The first time they called was to set up a phone interview a week later. The interview was about a half hour. After that, i waited on a scheduler, they set up an in person interview. Once there I met with the finance manager and team manager. They asked very few questions, more compliance questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I knew what an accrual was. It was so unexpected and considering it is the most common thing it threw me off.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

Had the typical phone interview which was followed up by an in person interview in New York with the director. Interview in New York was pretty straight forward, no behavioral questions. This was then followed by an in depth interview with an Amex manager from Singapore who was moving to New York. This was full of in depth questions to get to know me a lot better. Overall the process took way too long as the interviews started in February and I didn't get to find out until June that they had already hired someone sometime in May. The only reason I found out was because I e-mailed them after not having heard from them for 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use your business acumen.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

I was part of a financial analyst pipeline - essentially, having come in for a behavioral interview with 2 hiring leaders from different divisions, I was placed on a list of pre-qualified candidates for FA roles across the organization. I came in for one final round interview, meeting with 5 hiring leaders for 30 minutes each. I heard back from the recruiter 3 days later (Friday), and received an offer on the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were able to take disparate information/data and synthesize a recommendation or provide insight?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You will be asked about your current salary, and your expectations for the position you are applying for (hard number). Be prepared to ask for what you want, but have the rationale to back it.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied online through on campus recruitment system in addition to their job posting system online. Interview was 2 45 minute interviews back to back with 2 Directors. Both had joined the firm after getting their MBA and had been with the company 4-5+ years. Very structured interview as they literally read off a script and took notes on everything I was saying. Both interviews started off with a basic tell me about yourself and then transitioned into the structured portion where all questions were taken from the bullet points of the job description. For example, one of the bullets was "Ability to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions" and the interview question was "Tell me about a time you had to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions." Other than that, basic fit interview questions - teamwork, conflict, etc. Quick turnaround as I had the interview on Tuesday and they told me on Thursday that I did not get to the next round. Both were very friendly people that I enjoyed meeting with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to manipulate and synthesize financial data and draw meaningful conclusions   Answer Question
    • What would you think about when you were trying to launch a new product?   Answer Question
    • Your launching a new product, and the marketing manager is being aggressive with one of the assumptions that you think is wrong. How would you deal with it?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

I was screened through a phone interview first, and then asked to come in twice to meet with various members of the group. Upon leaving the interview I was contacted by phone by my American Express recruiter, who asked me how it had gone, and was able to provide some feedback. Everyone who I spoke with seemed enthusiastic and positive, I had a great impression of the group almost immediately. I was asked background questions about my previous work experience, education, and qualifications. As well as personality and scenario questions relating to my past experiences.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did something that your coworkers looked up to you for.   2 Answers
    • Example of some negative feedback you have received in a previous position, and how you responded to it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for several days to consider my offer, and was given the time that I asked for. I did not negotiate, as I was very happy with the offer.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Behavioral questions, but the typical ones. More a situational behavior interview. What would you do if given an assignment that is undefinable? Do you work best on teams or individually? Tell me about yourself? Interviewer clearly did not listen to my answers and didn't seem to be paying attention.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2010.

Interview

Had two phone interviews. One with the hiring leader and with their manager thereafter. Planned for behavioral questions mostly, and asked a lot of thought-provoking questions about the company and the group I was being interviewed for.

Negotiation

I regret not negotiating my salary. Most companies offer you 33% less than they can afford to pay you in the initial job offer.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in July 2010.

Interview

I was called by the manager to come in for an interview with himself and two other members of his team. In order to setup the interview, we exchanged emails over a course of 3-4 days in order to establish a convenient time. The day of the interview, he was late by about 15 minutes. So, he adjusted the interview by conducting it himself without including the other team members. However, this wasn't communicated to me. So, we proceded to the boardroom. He opened the interview by asking me about my current job role and responsibilities as well as why I was looking to change careers. I answered his questions. However, the interview then made an unexpected turn. He then spent the remaider of the time telling me about the role, the structure of the team, the performance of previous analysts in this role, the internal AMEX systems, etc. At this point, I knew that he wasmn't interviewing me, but he didn't ask any questions that would have helpful in making a hiring decision. The interview concluded. He said that they would have a decision by the end of the week. However, about 3-4 weeks later, the manager called me to tell me that they had decided on another candidate because he reasoned that I would have been bored with the role.