American Express
3.6 of 5 1,599 reviews
www.americanexpress.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

American Express Home Based Customer Care Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Dec 16, 2013

Getting the Interview

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Home Based Customer Care Representative Interview

Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via the American Express Website. Basic work history / education questions. Once that was submitted I was invited to complete a series of personality tests as well as a call center simulation.
After completing these tasks I received an email from a recruiter requesting a time to speak with him either that evening or sometime the following day.
I told him I was available this evening and received a phone call from him about 9:30PM. He asked a few basic career questions and then followed that with some behavioral questions......."Name a time you delivered extraordinary customer service and how were you recognized by the customer?" He asked me 2-3 questions like this then told me he would like to schedule me an interview with a team leader for the following day.
He informed me that the interviewer would ask me questions about my employment and then would follow up with several more behavioral questions. I needed to answer those questions with the STAR interviewing process. (You can google this and find a lot of information on how to answer these types of questions.)
The following day the interviewer called me at the exact time. Very pleasant person. She asked me about my career history and then immediately began with the behavioral questions. I think I counted 12 that she asked me. It was about an hour long interview. After she finished with the questions she explained more about the position, how your performance was measured, and the training process. (8-12 weeks @ home)
She thanked me for my time, verified email, phone, and address, and told me that they try to give responses in about 2 business days either by phone or email.
My interview was on a Friday so I had a loooooong weekend ahead of me.
The two business days came and went as did the remainder of the following week and still heard no response.
I tried contacting the recruiter who first contacted me but I also received no response from him.
This morning I received the dreaded email thanking me for my time but I was not selected for the position. I was a little disappointed, okay, a lot disappointed.
With it taking that long I obviously was a viable candidate that was being thought about because I have a strong background in sales and face to face customer service but I had zero call center experience which the interviewer made mention of several times during the interview.
Hope this post answers some of your questions about the interview process and I wish you success if you are waiting for your response.

Interview Question – Research the STAR interview method and use it to answer questions   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Home Based Customer Care Representative interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.