American Express
3.6 of 5 1,587 reviews
www.americanexpress.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

American Express Homebased Customer Care Professional Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Homebased Customer Care Professional Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in April 2013.

Interview Details – I saw the job at workersonboard.com a site that is filled with work @home jobs listings. I filled at an application, after which I was asked to take an assessment. The assessment consisted of a mock call center multiple choice test. This test requires you to really think, be sure to choose the options that reflect educating the customer about products and services, as well as the one that require you to follow procedure to answer certain questions. Basically, answer the questions as if you already are an Amex employee, and you should be fine. I took this test 2 times over the course of the year. The next assessment involves logic games such as, matching shapes with the next pattern in the series, and also reading math word problems and answering the questions. This test is timed, and you may only get through 8 of them. I took my time and provided precise answers and made it through about 6 questions. The next assessment tested your data entry skills, and fast your alpha-numeric typing is. The last assessment I believe was a personality test. I received a call from HR the next day (Clarissa) to schedule a phone interview, about 2 pm. She asked about why I left my former jobs and then proceeded to ask behavioral questions like... Why do you want to work for Amex? Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty in your previous job? Name a time when you had a difficult problem and how did you handle it? Name a time when you provided world class customer service? Name a time when you had to deal with an irate customer what did you do? Name a time when you solved a problem while on the job?

*****IMPORTANT ANSWER ALL AMEX INTERVIEW QUESTIONS USING THE STAR METHOD.

This involves providing them with specific examples from you employment history. They expect this.... there was a time when I worked for company A or B, etc, etc. then provide what happened and the final result as well. Be sure to portray yourself in a positive light. She was very nice and I felt comfortable. I didn't experience what the other reviewers mentioned in the previous posts on here, thankfully. At the end of our 30 min interview I was informed thatI would be moving on to the next step. She coached me and told me about how important the STAR method would be in the final interview phase. Note******* How you present yourself is very important. Sound professional, be confident and precise in your communication, Amex likes these types of people. The next day came and I had to have the time pushed back because I felt bad and refused to interview in that state. Amex recruiting was accommodating and reassuring. I was interviewed 2 hours later that day and the same behavioral type questions was asked. He went over my work history, and then asked a total of 8 specific behavioral type questions. See below.

Give an example of how you worked on team? Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it? Give an example of an occasion when you used logic to solve a problem. How do you handle Irrate Customers? Name a time when you had to tailor a solution for a customer, because your company's current products and services couldn't help them? EXACT QUESTION

****** USE THE STAR METHOD, USE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES AND DO NOT USE THE EXAMPLES FROM THE PREVIOUS INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON THIS FINAL INTERVIEW. USE ORIGINAL SCENARIOS FROM PREVIOUS JOBS. INCORPORATE ALL OF YOUR WORK HISTORY!!!
At the end of the interview he asked me if I had any questions, which i did. He also asked me to confirm my home address and email, told me I would be hearing something in 48 hours.
I received a call in less than 24 hours about 10 am the next day. I accepted the offer over the phone, and was told that they needed to schedule a time for an on boarding session, which consisted of Amex expectations, job details, metrics, benefits, Your starting salary, and schedule preferences. This would last a full hour.

The starting salary provided online is just a base rate, you know the position advertises 15.73 an hour. This rate is relative, and is only a starting point, not the exact pay for each person. They take your degree and experience into consideration.
Amex scheduling is pretty flexible, but it is set up so that you will work at least 2 weekend days, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They require you to work 2 of the 3 weekend days. Basically they give you the specifics of the schedule and then you choose your preferences based on their highest call times.

After my on boarding session was told that they will run a background criminal check, work history verification, education verification and a drug test. They use a company called Hireright. Beware ,because this company is very through, and will ask for w-2's from previous employers, and a blood sample, just kidding!! I am still waiting to initiate and complete my background check as the site seems to be down.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to tailor a solution for a customer, because your company's current products and services couldn't help them?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – There was no need to negotiate, I felt highly compensated!!

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Homebased Customer Care Professional interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.