American Express

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2010.

Interview Details – Worst experience. First you are phone-screened quickly by a recruiter about your resume. Next round is usually by phone; can be anywhere from 1-3 managers in a panel. Next round is another panel, either phone or in person, again 1-3 Directors. Next, sometimes final round, is in person with an Executive. All of this can take up to a MONTH! So if you're interviewing with another company & get an offer from them, you may still be in the midst of the Amex interview abyss.
Note - all this wasn't even for a Manager-level role!

Interview Question – Some questions in the different panel interviews were the same.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unless this is for a Director or above, there is no negotiation (at least in Human Resources), although I tried. I accepted due to the company reputation & was told there would be advancement soon.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interviewers were very prepared and engaged during the interview. The recruiter was " OK. " Generally, a very good experience. I even received feedback, which is always appreciated.

Interview Question – Describe experiences with Labor unions   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for several positions and received multiple calls back from recruiters about the various positions. For the position I accepted, I had an initial phone screening with the recruiter, a phone interview with the recruiting manager, a phone interview with another recruiting manager, a phone interview with the hiring director and in person interviews with three VPs. Needless to say, it was a bit exhausting. However, none of the interviews were ridiculously hard and they seem to welcome people with varied backgrounds who may not have done EXACTLY what the new role entails. This is further solidified by the fact that they highly encourage you to move around once you're within the organization to learn new skills and follow your passions.

Interview Question – What have you been doing to stay current in your field? [I had taken 6 months off prior to applying for a new job]   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They wouldn't budge. I asked for $2k more and they said no. I have heard that is rather common for AXP and I can also confirm that they're generally at the low end of the pay scale, particularly for NYC.

Manager Human Resources Interview

Manager Human Resources

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – Three rounds of interview with HR people with technical round wherein was asked to make a presentation.
overall a great interview, but was not explained the hierarchy in detail.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your present company   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Human Resources Manager interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.