American Express

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Was referred by a current employee, who submitted my resume and letter of recommendation online. Was contacted by email a month later for a phone interview, which took place the following month. Phone interview consisted of two 30-minute conversations with department managers that mostly asked technical questions.

Got a call from campus recruiting to attend a Super Day the following week. There were two 45-minute in-person interviews that mostly asked the same questions along with more behavioral ones. The phone interview was actually much harder. In between interviews, you could network with current employees in the field.

Interview Question – Describe a time you demonstrated leadership to get a task done.
Describe a website that has a good user experience and another that has a bad one.
  Answer Question

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in March 2013.

Interview Details – One 1 Hour phone interview to gauge problems solving skills, as well as social situation skills

Interview Question – Not too difficult, just weird trying to answer some of the social situations they create for you over a phone   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Weston, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Was recruited through the campus career fair and the process consisted of 2 interviews (both behavioral).

The 1st one was an on campus interview right after career fair. It was an hour long interview divided between 2 different half hour sessions. The second one was a phone interview which surprisingly asked a lot of the same questions. The second interview is usually with the leader you will be working under for the summer and a HR rep.

Interview Question – - If you were a manager and you had multiple projects due next week but cannot deliver all of them on time, what would you do.
- Describe a time you communicated effectively in a team environment.
- How do you keep up to date with current technology?
- Describe a time you went above and beyond in a project, class or job.
- Describe a time you demonstrated leadership to get a task done
  Answer Question

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – They took a written test , it mostly consisted of thirty aptitude questions and six coding questions to be solved in 90 minutes. Also there was a section on H.R. type questions, like why do you want to join american express, what are the trends in the IT industry you think will have an impact on the future. The shortlisted candidates were grilled through a group discussion, and two personal interviews, shortlisting being done after each round.

Interview Question – asked about SQL about which I had no idea   Answer Question

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – My application was sponsored by another intern. I had a telephone interview. The interviewers went through my resume with me, asking details about work experiences.

Interview Question – I was asked if I had any experience with reporting and performance indicators.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Intern interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.