American Express

Very Difficult Interview

Management Interview

Management
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter, then hiring staff internally. Then you may interview with your potential peers, then leader then business leader. Then they ask you 3-4 competency based questions. They move you to the next level if you do well. If you don't, you receive a decline letter.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you failed at your job.   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional
Orlando, FL

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in June 2014.

Interview Details – The application is pretty simple as well as the assessment. Although the assessment can be a little bit intimidating. Once you have taken it, they don't tell you right away if you failed it. either you get an email the next day that you were not considered for the position, or you will receive a email/call to set up a possible interview.

Interview Question – one of the most difficult questions asked, or at least so I thought was, "tell me a time when you have a difficult manager and what you did"? Really, I was prepared for all types of types of question even practiced the Star method of answering and I choked.   View Answer

Consultant/Platform Development Interview

Consultant/Platform Development

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Phone, 2 face to face interviews. Tough interviews. People are digging deeper in to your skills set and experience. Hiring manager takes the call. The process took no more than a week. Decision was made within 24 hrs of the interview.

Interview Question – Process related question.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was given 6 comptency questions to anwer. Was told that if this position was not right for me, the director-who was interviewing me-would work with me to find a position that was suitable. This was a lie. I asked to take her up on her offer-no response.

Interview Question – None-however-they asked two different questions regarding how do you develop your staff.   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2011.

Interview Details – The process was long and involved. 5 interviews total: HR screening, hiring manager interview, interview by one of hiring manager's direct reports, interview with a subordinate, and a final HR screening. All were behavioral questions. I was not presented with a case and did not have to show any analytical skills.

Interview Question – How do you get a senior leader to buy into your idea when they display resistance initially?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hiring leaders was not willing to negotiate salary

Technologies Vendor Specialist Interview

Technologies Vendor Specialist
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2013.

Interview Details – The process was pretty quick and painless. I had a brief phone screen with HR to ensure that my salary requirements were within range and then they scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. My phone interview was pretty basic, covered skills and what the job would entail. They then had me come in for a face-to-face interview where I spoke with the Director and VP.

Interview Question – It honestly was a very easy interview process and I got the job so I don't know how to answer this...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher salary and they said they would have to take that back through HR and the VP and it would most likely put me out of the running so I accepted the initial offer (which was still about a 9% increase from my previous salary).

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – It was a 3 step process. 1. An initial screening over phone the which is very easy. Simple questions like what is the difference between Java and Javascript. 2. Next after 2-3 weeks they took a technical interview over the phone on topics like OOPs concept, multithreading, memory management etc. You will be asked to do the coding on screen share. 3. After 2 days I was called for an on-site interview. This had 2 rounds, one was behavioural round such as what would you want to be 5 years down the line, what are the qualities you look for in a leader etc. The next round consisted of an estimation question and a root cause analysis where you have find the solution by asking questions to the interviewer.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult. They are very helpful and will help you solve the problem.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – gave me what I asked for

Customer Care Professional Interview

Customer Care Professional

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – phone interview followed up by face to face Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client? Answer Question
Why do you want to work for American Express? ical

Interview Question – typical star questions   Answer Question

Manager Technical Operations Interview

Manager Technical Operations
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in October 2010.

Interview Details – Compentency based questions for situational experiences, as well as specific role and responsibility technical questions - relate past work with expected roles and responsibilities including personal career plans within 5 years

Interview Question – Technical questions where one lacks experience and/or situational questions not encountered before   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - made offer with dollar amount that was within the pay scale structure based on experience and perceived skill sets - a question of accept or decline

Corporate Account Administrator Interview

Corporate Account Administrator

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in January 2010.

Interview Details – The prospective employee will be interviewed in front of other applicants and the hiring staff. It is designed to be stressful, however, it you're not intimidated by crowds or thinking on your feet, you'll do wonderful.

Interview Question – Because it was such a fast paced interview process, I can not remember specfic questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express interview questions and advice. All 497 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.