American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in December 2014.

It was so much fun and modern. They used Hireview. It was so cool. Its just in your own home with your pc. You get to practice a lot. I hope they hire me.

Interview Questions
    • What difficult task did u do and how u addressed them?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

Good and very well arranged interview process.

Had 2 interviews: 1 phone interview and 1 onsite.

Phone interview: It was pretty technical. The interviewer covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Core java, javascript, Spring, basic algorithms, agile, questions based on technologies mentioned in resume etc. The interview started out basic and started expanding into many directions. If you have good depth in the core java concepts the interview should be smooth sailing.

Onsite interview: The interview had 2 rounds and it was majorly behavioral. One round was known as "cognitive interview". It was basically to know how someone approaches a solution by understanding the problem rather than what the solution is. The usually tell a problem scenario and want to see how you ask questions for that problem and when finding a solution what all did you consider before arriving to the solution. The other one was called "resume review" but it was more on basic experience, future focus, why Amex sort of questions.

Overall easy interview and very fast results.

Interview Questions
    • Questions known as "Guesstimates". There are usually asked for consultant type role. But they ask them to understand your problem solving skills. Read more about "Fermi problems" to understand what they mean.   Answer Question

Engineer In Technology Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Contacted American Express through a university career fair. I was contacted through the university's system for on campus interviews. I had two interviewers over the course of an hour and a half. Questions were a mix of behavioral and technical. A few of the questions involved writing code; the rest were designing architectures or providing general problem solving methods. A few weeks later I interviewed at their offices. Two more interviewers, and more of the same questions. The majority of the technical questions were really memorization questions, not requiring much in the way of critical thinking. About a week after that round of interviews, I was called and given an offer.

Got the feeling that low level work was a drag - only the higher-ups I met seemed to enjoy working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I applied online and was contacted a few weeks later to schedule a phone interview. I went through two rounds of phone interviews with two engineers each time. I don't know if it is planned this way or not, but for both rounds of interviews the initial interview was with a really encouraging and motivational engineer and then followed up by a distant more serious individual. It kind of threw me off my game going from the "yeah I got this" to "where did I mess up" mindset, but in the end I had a great experience Interviewing with American Express. The engineers had more enthusiasm than other places I had interviewed with, and did not come across as brand ambassadors. They also answered questions candidly. I found a lot to respect.

Interview Questions
    • The questions ranged from simple to more difficult. They also included behavioral, technical, and brain teasers. Some examples, what is the difference between a process and a thread; The knapsack problem reduced; The traveling salesman problem reduced to a subset of cities; How would you design a food rating application?   Answer Question
    I asked for more, but they wouldn't budge on the offer.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I submitted an application via the website and was contacted about a 10 days later by HR. We scheduled an interview and the HR person called me about 20 minutes late and said she had to reschedule. We managed to connect later that day, and she was very nice and professional. We had a detailed discussion about my background, skills, etc. She advised she would speak with the hiring manager and get back to me. A couple of days later, HR reached out to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager. He and I spoke for about 45 but he barely asked me any questions. He spoke in depth about the role, the company, and his background, and I was very interested. I was waiting for him to ask me something, anything, but he never did. I tried to interject my experience as it related where I could, but I never had the opportunity to really speak. A week later I was told I was not selected for another interview. I felt like perhaps I was just a number to fill a quota of interviewing X amount of candidates and I never really had a shot.

Despite that, I still am interested in working here and hope I have another opportunity someday for a role that may be a better fit.

Interview Questions
    • The most surprising question was the ones that weren't asked - I never was asked anything!   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

Applied online and was contacted within 3 days. The interviewer was very professional and suggested a position that matched my experience and qualifications. I applied for the new position and a new interview was set up. Let's see how that goes.

Interview Questions
    • How many direct reports I had in a previous job and what were my responsibilities   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2014.

After submitting my application I first received an email with a request for a video interview. I did some research on google and the email had good instructions on how to conduct it. It feels weird because it's a serious of questions that are the same for everyone and your responses are video recorded. Make sure you dress like you are going in in person. After submitting that interview I received a10 minute call from a recruiter the next day. He set up an interview for me 3 days later that was about 45 minutes to an hour long. They asked about job history and verified dates of employment so have your resume handy, then she asked about 7 or 8 behavioral questions and wanted them answered using the STAR method. They don't say it before the interview but luckily I read this advice on here and I googled the STAR method and there was a wealth of information and some great youtube videos explaining it all. At the end of my interview with her she was very impressed and said she wanted to move me forward to the final process. An interview with the hiring manager. This interview was done about 3 days later and it is done over the internet via video chat ( similar to skyping). This interview lasted and hour and a half for me. He was very detailed wanted every little detail about the different situations, the actions you took and the results. He asked several behavioral questions and really dug in deep to find out how much you know and how much experience with customer service you have. It's important to research the company. I can't stress that enough. In your confirmation email they send you links to some youtube videos about Amex and also their Facebook and Twitter. Be SURE to have at least 3 questions to ask him at the end of the interview. I ended up not getting the offer I wanted so badly. I did allot of research and preparation for these interviews but I think because I had about a 6 year gap in my employment history because I had a special needs child, that he was hesitant on weather I could jump back in to such a face paced job. Even though I knew I could. But my advice is prepare really well because it's a great opportunity and next year I will try again!!!!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you made a mistake at work, what happened and what was the outcome.   View Answer
    • Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   View Answer
    • What was your last job and why did you leave.   View Answer
    • Name a time you had to solve a problem, you didn't know the answer to, without the help of a supervisor or coworker.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

I can't disclose the questions since I signed a contract but they will focus in your communication skills and confidence of your answer more than the technical aspect so prepare to be questioned about anything you answer, if you say this algorithm is better you need to support the reason with a lot of confidence, don't hesitate and don't use words like "I think", "perhaps", etc.

It took them 3 weeks just to reply to the online application and another 2 weeks to schedule the phone interview

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions, I was hesitant and was not able to communicate clearly about an architecture concept   Answer Question

Travel Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2014.

The initial interview was very informative, asking the normal questions and going over the job description. The next interview was done via the phone as this was a virtual job opening. The second interview was about forty five minutes in length and the questions ask were STAR based which consisted of 4 questions. However, to break the ice the hiring manager ask the typical tell me about yourself...please be prepared and research the company values etc. it helps with the flow of the questions. Overall the interview was a good one because it allows you to use your past experiences to answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had a deadline and you had to find a way to multi task to get the job done effectively and efficiently meeting all company policy and criteria.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation the job paid well above the minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Submitted my resume to a database for a conference I was attending. Contacted by a recruiter to feel out my interest. Was then contacted again before the conference and asked to set up an interview. Interview at conference lasted one hour. Interviewed by a software architect and a tech lead. Asked a few behavioral questions then went into a "technical" interview. Was given code to review and debug, asked a problem solving/logic question, asked to write a MySQL query, a few other questions that I cannot recall anymore. The last part of the interview was about past experience/projects.

*Note: I was finishing my undergrad and interviewing for a entry level position

Interview Questions
    • What design patterns are you familiar with, explain them.   Answer Question
    No need to negotiate, was offered significantly more than I expected.