American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Home Based Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

Applied 2 weeks before Christmas. Within a few days I received an email saying they wanted to do a virtual interview. They preferred you answer in STAR method. After doing interview which was mostly behavioral questions, I didn't get any feedback until 2nd week of January; they told me I didn't get the position.

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express.

I had applied for a different position. My resume was forwarded to the financial intelligence unit manager, by whom I was contacted directly. After a phone interview, I was asked to come in for a written assessment. I wish I was given a little more direction. I was told to be specific but s concise as possible. I gave more of a factual summary rather than a story-like narrative. For this reason, I was not offered the position.
    The decision making was quick, and they did inform me I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a case to read and analyze and asked to create a summary narrative.   View Answer

Corporate Finance Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in January 2015.

First interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews. The questions were mostly fit and situational but there were a few technical questions. The interviewers were different in the ways that they asked questions, but they were given a list of questions in advance to ask, and they made that pretty clear during the interview process. They are told to leave the last 10 minutes open to let us ask questions.

Employee Interview

typical of large organization. nothing that really stands out. large focus on whether you check the boxes for the requirements - less about potential and more about proven ability. various rounds and mix of phone / in - person

null

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

The process is so long! It started mid November and just now they sent me a general email saying I wasn't selected. I didn't hear back for almost 1 month. The interviewer talked mostly about himself and how great and amazing he was. They are also very unorganized. They sent me an email to say the second interview was a phone interview, then send another email to say it would be an in-office interview. All BS.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. All of their questions are give me an example of when...   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

Interview process was painful. It took four months to complete the process. Icing on the cake was the rejection call the day before Christmas. Totally class less.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions. Name a time when you saved an account, and so on...   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

A recruiter reached out saying that this was a good fit. There was the standard 30-minute chat about the position. He sent a link to fill out their online application, which the manager reviews and supposedly reaches back. After that point, the recruiter fell off the face of the earth with no word from them for two months, despite emailing the recruiter after a month. I finally got a dreaded email when I already forgot that I even applied. Overall, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Travel Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2014.

The initial interview was very informative, asking the normal questions and going over the job description. The next interview was done via the phone as this was a virtual job opening. The second interview was about forty five minutes in length and the questions ask were STAR based which consisted of 4 questions. However, to break the ice the hiring manager ask the typical tell me about yourself...please be prepared and research the company values etc. it helps with the flow of the questions. Overall the interview was a good one because it allows you to use your past experiences to answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had a deadline and you had to find a way to multi task to get the job done effectively and efficiently meeting all company policy and criteria.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation the job paid well above the minimum.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

Good and very well arranged interview process.

Had 2 interviews: 1 phone interview and 1 onsite.

Phone interview: It was pretty technical. The interviewer covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Core java, javascript, Spring, basic algorithms, agile, questions based on technologies mentioned in resume etc. The interview started out basic and started expanding into many directions. If you have good depth in the core java concepts the interview should be smooth sailing.

Onsite interview: The interview had 2 rounds and it was majorly behavioral. One round was known as "cognitive interview". It was basically to know how someone approaches a solution by understanding the problem rather than what the solution is. The usually tell a problem scenario and want to see how you ask questions for that problem and when finding a solution what all did you consider before arriving to the solution. The other one was called "resume review" but it was more on basic experience, future focus, why Amex sort of questions.

Overall easy interview and very fast results.

Interview Questions
    • Questions known as "Guesstimates". There are usually asked for consultant type role. But they ask them to understand your problem solving skills. Read more about "Fermi problems" to understand what they mean.   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in December 2014.

It was so much fun and modern. They used Hireview. It was so cool. Its just in your own home with your pc. You get to practice a lot. I hope they hire me.