American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014

Senior Analyst, Campaign Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via email after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 20-30 minutes long with general questions asked and background information given about the role. The usual "you seem great, I'm going to give your resume to the hiring manager and if interested in setting up a face-to-face, we'll reach back out later on this week." Very pleasant. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later to schedule a face-to-face interview. Met with the whole six-member team each with 30 minute interviews from 9a - 12 noon. Everything went really well. General questions were asked. No case questions. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had an extra year of experience over on me.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express.

I applied online. I got a response the next day that they weren't interested. Likely based on the fact this would have been my first at home customer servicing positions.

Interview Questions
    • You will need to explain an instance where you have worked in a similar capacity.   View Answer

Work From Home Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Applied online. Received response approximately one week later for initial interview via webcam thru Hirevue. Approximately two weeks later received a phone call to set up second interview the following day. Completed second interview and was told would receive email or phone call for third interview. Received rejection letter stating I had not made it to the job offer portion of the process. Interview with webcam basic questions, however the interview with live person was very thorough. They state up front there is a background check that goes back to the age of 18 and a drug test. I stated that would not be a problem.

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR method questions. You definitely need to have your A game on and be prepared and be specific. In hindsight, I can see where I could have done a little better.   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I filled out the application on the American Express Careers website and attached my resume. From that I was contacted for an interview. The interview was done as a recorded interview with the video camera being utilized. I do feel that the recorded interview process was a bit awkward and impersonal. I would have preferred to have spoken with a "real" person. It felt a bit like making one of those dating site videos instead of a job interview. And with no interaction with another person, I don't feel it gave your true abilities a chance to shine through.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard and straightforward interview questions.   View Answer

ER Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Competency based questions. Telephone, in person and panel interview. Questions that asked to give an experience that demonstrated a particular competency that is required for job. Usually selection is made after 3 rounds of interviews.

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online - interviewed at American Express.

I applied on line and submitted a resume. I was called for an interview during which interviewer's main concern was that I was overqualified for the position, based on my previous assignments, which was probably right. I explained that all my previous assignments required heavy international travel and I had decided not to travel anymore. He was persuaded that I was not going to be a short timer filling time, and that is the way it worked out.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can interact successfully with card members over the phone, with no face to face interaction?   View Answer
    The mission of the interviewer is to ascertain your strengths and weaknesses for the position. You have to be very straight, direct and concise with your answers, maintain full eye contact and a positive can do attitude. You must be prepared with full knowledge of the company, financial aspects, main products and services.

Manager - Risk Management Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

I got the interview through an employee referral. It took place over 2 months. The process was very disorganized with multiple delays, and a break in communication. They had the hardest time scheduling a plane flight and would wait three days before the departure date, only to have to cancel and attempt to reschedule.

Travel Counselor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

I applied online for American Express's travel counselor position. I didn't receive a call until several weeks later.I interviewed on site, at their call center. The interview process was a generic one.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

5 Levels of interviews and a lengthy process
    HR tech screening with some fixed set of questions
    Technical interview with a Peer Architect in depth diving into technical
    Cognitive Problem Solving with a Director of Architecture asked to solve couple of production issues and propose a better design
    Behavioral and Resume review with hiring Director primarily focusing on why you made certain design and tech choices in your past projects
    Leadership with Vice President focusing on your leadership ability

Interview Questions
    • How many cards Amex issues per year in US?   View Answer
    They just offer and you either accept or walk away. Only little room for negotiation

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

I completed the pre-screening interview and was told that I was exactly what they were looking for in this position. I was very excited about the position and was looking forward to my in person interview. However, the Recruiter contacted me to ask if I would hire her at my current company because it was so horrible to work for the Recruiting Company that American Express uses. The phone conversation ended when she basically stated that if I took the position at American Express then my position at my current company would be open and she could take my position. She then wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was no longer interested in the position and continued to forward my information on to the VP who was hiring for the position. The entire process was unprofessional and didn't make me want to work for a company whose recruiters were so unethical.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!