American Express Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

Lead Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was comprehensive and the recruiter was informative and helpful. Their was a full drug test and all other background checks as expected. Everyone was professional and great at communicating my progress.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied for every marketing analyst position I could. Also if you get multiple interviews try not to tell each group your interviewing for other groups...be vague and don't tell recruiter or else they'll fix you with only one team when techinically their policy goes against that

Interview Questions

• Make sure to know how Amex makes money and their history...give good reasons for why Amex and tell the group their your first choice   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got offered 70k and negotiated to 75k... I wish I had negotiated to 80k ....I believe for marketing analyst they can technically go to 82k so definitely negotiate even if you told them you were fine with their initial offer ...esp if the group works longer hours than the 9 to 5 which some groups do!!!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

multi step, several interviews, HR, hiring manager, other team members, well organized, orderly - enjoyed process, limited tour of facility, waited for response, took a bit longer than expected but received contact, professional...........................................

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by Amex recruiter through LinkedIn. After the initial phone screen, there was a phone technical interview next week. 2 weeks later, I got onsite. Onsite consisted of 3 rounds of individual as well as group interview

Interview Questions

• All are knowledge based questions. They tested in areas of OOPS, Java REST webservice, Agile tools like MAven, Git, PERL, Javascript, Webservices, Java collections, multithreading, MongoDB, Linux/UNIX commands, Java exceptions, Spring, Hibernate, SQL joins, indexex, cloud concepts   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Initial phone screening from American Express recruiter who asked for my background. Future interviews may include panel interviews. Recruiter will also compare my profile to other positions she has to determine if there is a good fit.

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Very lengthy and really bad company too investigate you. Had 2 people calling and doubling up on questions. The right hand did not know what the left hand was doing!

Interview Questions

• An example of going above and beyond in work   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation just offered entry salary. Interview was great, as was by actual employees, who were nice and asked relevant questions. Online testing was ridiculous!

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express (Miami, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online on June 23, 2015 and got an email the very next day stating that I got an interview. The interview was a digital interview through hire vue, it's a new convienient way to conduct interviews in a timely manner. It does require a webcam and took about 30 minutes to complete. I was able to practice a few interview questions prior to recording my actual interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain why your background and experience would be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you received recognition for an achievement.   Answer Question
    • What do you like about customer service? How do you feel American Express can help you reach your goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Still waiting on response from interview.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express (Greensboro, NC).

Interview

There were 3 total interviews one phone/two face to face the 3rd was about 1hr long. Most of the questions were basic why do you want to work at American Express? How would you be an asset to the company?

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Did an initial video screen. Found that part to be very sterile, impersonal. What's next? A robot interviewer? Then had a scheduled phone interview with actual people that actually Never called. Now see if it was a robot or computer that would not have happened. I let the HR rep know that I had been stood up. Then I waited a couple of days for someone to call me back with a valid/sensible explanation. Well guess what? Dead silence. So I initiated an email asking for an explanation. Instead what I got was a lame response back from the recruiter. I am thinking if they were trying to impress me, hey! I am impressed but not in a good way. Are they really trying to fill this job? Are they just to darn busy to pick up the phone and let me know they need to reschedule? That incident really left me with a really negative impression of this company and that group that I was supposed to interview with.

Interview Questions

Lame interviewers stood me up.

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express (Dearborn, MI).

Interview

In person, with situational questions. The interviewer was very kind and put me at ease. She was willing to repeat questions if needed and seemed present during the process. I was given a tour of the offices and felt very comfortable being myself and being understood and respected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a client who calls and is upset with you over something you did not do?   Answer Question