American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

I applied through my university and was selected for a first-round interview. There were 2 45-minute back-to-back interviews. Questions were mostly behavioral, but a few were situational. Interviewers were reading the questions off of a sheet and taking notes, so the interviews didn't feel very spontaneous. The interviewers were nice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision.
      Tell me about a time you had to handle a stressful situation.
      If you were told you had to lead marketing campaigns in 3 cities, what questions would you ask and how would you implement the campaigns?

+ plenty of other questions already posted by others.

Answer Question

American Express 2015 Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

About 50/50 split between HR or situational questions and some basic programming concept questions over the phone. Two interviews back to back lasted for about an hour. The situational questions are especially important. They want to see that someone has the right personality type for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Study your basic programming structures and have answers to questions such as "bring up a time when you..." and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Finance Summer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express.

2 45-minute phone interviews with people from Finance department. First interview was more situational and related to prior experiences, such as the average interview questions. The second interview was more analytical.

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

First round interviews were supposed to be in person on campus, but were done over the phone due to snow. Second round interviews involved traveling to the company's office in NYC. Heard back on hiring process in 3 to 5 business days after second round. Both interviews entailed two 45 minute interviews with different representatives from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to work to meet a deadline. Describe a time when you had to do what was right even if it wasn't the easiest thing to do.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

Very friendly.. Some technical questions like data structures... The first half of the interview was behavioural.. And the second half was technical.. Each were about 45 mins long.. Fairly straight forward questions

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

The first interview I had was a phone interview, and it went well. I was told I would have a 2nd phone interview with a project manager. I had to reschedule with the hiring manager due to circumstances that were out of my control, and I was told we would reschedule for the following day, at the same time. I got an email the next day saying the project manager's schedule was booked the rest of the week, and as such she would not be able to speak with me that day, and I would be contacted to reschedule the interview. I never heard back from the recruiter, and have never received any type of communication telling me my status. Overall, I had a very negative experience, and feel that this was not handled in a professional manner.

Marketing Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

It was originally supposed to be at my campus with 2 back to back 45 minute interviews but because of a snowstorm, it was over the phone. I had applied through the campus career center and had heard back congratulating me for getting an interview. I had an average interview but the situational questions were very pertinent to credit card services.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

Overall very positive experience. The recruiting process took about three weeks total. I sent in my application and within a week, I was selected for an on campus interview. Then a few days later I got selected for a super day. Two days later, I got a call with my offer.

First round: There were a lot of situational and behavioral questions. Nothing too case-like or technical. Just make sure you know enough about the credit card industry, how Amex is differentiated, and show a genuine interest for the position.

Super Day: Pretty similar to the first round except there are a couple case questions. You don't have to use numbers in your answer, but just give a conceptual answer. Learn about how membership rewards work and consider what emerging markets Amex could go into and how.

Interview Questions
    • Why Amex? How does Amex make its revenue, what are its costs? How is it different from other credit cards? And lots of behavioral (Tell me about a time you... failed/worked in a team/took on a risk... etc).   Answer Question

MBA Risk and Information Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

The initial interview was 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with 2 directors at the New York office. The questions asked ranged from product development, big data, and leadership/behavioral questions. The final interview was at the company's headquarters in NY. It's about a 4 hour process that includes getting to me your peers competing for the internships as well as a introduction to American Express from a Senior Leader. Afterwards you are split up into groups based on your internship. Again you have 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with management. Was relatively the same questions as the initial interview. Be prepared to get into as much detail as possible.

Interview Questions
    • If a marketing manager were to come to you with a new product to launch, what things would you consider before launching it?

What background do you have with big data software? What do you think we use big data for?

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express.

i applied online, then they emailed me, then i had a phone conversation with an hr contact, then an phone interview with the hiring manager. the final step was to meet in person with the hiring manager. overall the process was easy and enjoyable.