American Express Interview Questions & Reviews

521 interviews

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New Rochelle, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New Rochelle, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in April 2014.

Spent about six hours on what was supposed to be an hour process. Lots of random questions online, for a customer service position a phone interview would have been more appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • The scenarios where you are given a difficult customer to deal with.   View Answer

Travel Counselor Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

I applied online for American Express's travel counselor position. I didn't receive a call until several weeks later.I interviewed on site, at their call center. The interview process was a generic one.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

5 Levels of interviews and a lengthy process
    HR tech screening with some fixed set of questions
    Technical interview with a Peer Architect in depth diving into technical
    Cognitive Problem Solving with a Director of Architecture asked to solve couple of production issues and propose a better design
    Behavioral and Resume review with hiring Director primarily focusing on why you made certain design and tech choices in your past projects
    Leadership with Vice President focusing on your leadership ability

Interview Questions
    • How many cards Amex issues per year in US?   View Answer
    They just offer and you either accept or walk away. Only little room for negotiation

Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

I completed the pre-screening interview and was told that I was exactly what they were looking for in this position. I was very excited about the position and was looking forward to my in person interview. However, the Recruiter contacted me to ask if I would hire her at my current company because it was so horrible to work for the Recruiting Company that American Express uses. The phone conversation ended when she basically stated that if I took the position at American Express then my position at my current company would be open and she could take my position. She then wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was no longer interested in the position and continued to forward my information on to the VP who was hiring for the position. The entire process was unprofessional and didn't make me want to work for a company whose recruiters were so unethical.

Customer Care Professional Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

Applied online and then did an assessments which are very relevant to the job.. Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will send you the information as to do a web interview. . They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Google "Star method" and this will help you out. It was easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you helped a customer and its outcome.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Went through a series of phone screenings and then came in for an in person interview. I met with three different people and had three separate 30 minute interviews with each of them.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Express.

Round one was a thirty minute HR telephonic screening interview. Round two was a four hour written test consisting of a test case scenario. Round three was a round robin interview with five managers each asking five questions.

Interview Questions
    • Behavior-based interview questions. Nothing that would throw you for a loop if you complete a self-assessment on your own beforehand.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Applied on the website after visiting their booth at my university's career fair, and I was invited to an interview on campus the following week. The interview consisted of two separate 45-minute sessions, each with one person asking behavioral questions, and both were relatively friendly and engaging. I was later invited to their "super day" for a second round of interviews, which narrowed down to about 20 students. This included a tour around their campus and again two separate interview sessions. One of the interviewers also included his own technical questions not on the packet they were given, while the other stuck to the standard behavioral questions, some of which were repeats of the questions from the first round.

Technology Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Remote, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Express in May 2014.

The hiring process started out just fine... the hiring manager called for a phone interview. Then I got another interview with the hiring manager where I had to do a presentation. I finally got a face to face with a Director. Everything was going fine and the hiring manager screwed up the process at the end. HR even called me to talk about salary. I interviewed in May and just got an email 3 months later that I didn't get the job. I found out that the hiring manager was trying to push through someone she knew. You truly have to know someone at the top to get a job there. What a waste of my time and energy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The hiring manager wasn't real bright. My questions were more difficult than the hiring manager's.   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

First, you'll apply online. Applying online is a vigorous process in my opinion, you're doing assessments which are very relevant to the job that give you an idea of what it's like to work in a Call Center environment. Then, you'll have an assessment that is more math and logical (if that's the word to describe it - this is my least favorite). Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will do a phone interview. They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Helpful hint: Explain the customers emotions and the outcome of the situation. If all is well, you'll be scheduled for an in-person interview. The questions will be very similar, "Tell me about a time ..." They want to know how you handle yourself in customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how new releases or procedures in your current position made it difficult to do your job?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. American Express pays way better than their competitors.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!