American Express

Getting the Interview

453 candidate interviews

Municipal Bond Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2013.

Interview Details – The reason for my post here is to publicly state my strong suspicion that a certain department at AmEx is using job candidates to do uncompensated work for them under the disguise of testing them. I was assigned a three-day research project on issues that have a current importance and value, then heard nothing more from AmEx and the job opening was posted again.

Further details:
I'm a municipal bond credit analyst, and the majority of my work consists of writing ratings opinions on bonds, similar to S&P and Moody's reports. The job opening required precisely this. I interviewed with a bond analyst who said that he was overwhelmed with work and had needed someone to help him for a long time already. I also interviewed with some kind of administrative manager of the department who did not know anything about the technical side of the work. The interview went smoothly, and I was told that there is nothing in my experience or skills that falls short of the job requirements.

Some time later I received a request to do a research project, allegedly as a test of my writing. At the interview before, I had already brought about 20 recent report samples, and offered my former manager's reference to confirm the authenticity of my work. Despite this, they now said that they needed 2 new reports on specific bonds of their choice. I did the research and delivered the reports. New credit research is something that is objectively valuable, with a value (conservatively) of at least $100 per report.

I immediately received a short email saying I will not be considered for employment and nothing else. My request for feedback was refused. The same day an identical job posting was published on the AmEx website: "Mgr-Risk & Information Management Job – New York, NY, US".

From all the facts it is possible to reasonably surmise that they are using job candidates to help them with their large burden of work. The fact that the position was immediately reposted meant that they did not refuse me as a result of finding a better candidate. They told me I satisfied the job requirements, that they had an urgent need for help with their work burden, and refused to give any feedback on my reports. Either they discovered something about me that they discriminate against and can't say it, or they are illegally using people to do their work for free.

I hope that anyone applying to this position will carefully consider all the above before spending days doing work for them.

--KW

Interview Question – A 3-day research project was assigned, writing ratings opinions on the credit condition of certain municipal bonds.   View Answer

Platinum Customer Service Representative Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is deceptive. They tell you that you are there for a permanent position. You go through and extensive...EXTENSIVE background check and there is a lot of hoopla surrounding your actual hire but it is not an actual permanent position and you are not told this until you've already started the job and it may be to late because you may have given up a permanent job for something that is very shaky and shady to say the least.

Interview Question – Nothing. The interviewer was amazing but again, they need to tell the potential hire that this is NOT a permanent position from the get go!!!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Again...if it would have been for a permanent job, this would have been amazing.

Home Based Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Initial process regarding interview went rather quickly, within a few days I had the initial phone interview, the in-depth phone interviewer, and then an offer. So the turn around time was fairly quick.

Interview Question – Ran into some issues with onboarding as they dropped the ball with following-up, verification of information, etc. Training was comprehensive (almost three months) and most of the trainers were helpful. Things took a turn for the worst once I was done with training and dealing with disrespectful upper management and team leads. They definitely do not embody the values mentioned in the initial hiring stages. I would not recommend this company or this position.   View Answer

Team Leader Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – 1st stage Questions, 2nd stage presentation and competence based questions, 3rd stage interview with director, 4th stage personality and logical-mathematical test

Interview Question – Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Good Position and Attetude Interview

Tisa (Philippines)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in December 2012.

Interview Details – whaen you apply this company please bring the ff

bring your bio-data
at list high school/college gaurding

Interview Question – you should wear complete uniform   View Answer

Negotiation Details – because i always accept

Customer Care Professional Interview

Customer Care Professional
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in February 2008.

Interview Details – Impressive and smooth

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your previous employment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non - negotiable

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in November 2011.

Interview Details – There were 3 rounds, 1st with HR, 2nd on phone with the voice and accent trainer, and the 3rd round was more like a panel interview, there were two people taking the interview.

Interview Question – How would you provide excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not much of a negotiation that happens, although i was able to get a higher slab after speaking to the recruiting agency.

Financial Analyst Interview

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Interview Details – The Interview phase is simple in AMEX. You will directly have a 1:1 with the interviewer wherein your skills and expertise will be tested and if cleared you will be interviewed by group of two looking for your suitability in organisation.

If selected you will receive a call from HR describing your package offerings and you can also negotiate on your compensation on that call only.

Interview Questions

• Tell me someting about yourself ?   View Answer
  • Do you know about reconciliation? How many types of reconciliations can be done? Why is the reconciliation done ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – pretty negotiable

Travel Counselor Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2009.

Interview Details – I was approached as a previous employee of the company so the process was fairly simple. Online personality test, in office skills test including typing and travel knowledge questions then face to face interiew. Be prepared for situational questions - explain a time when you went above and beyond using STAR system (Situation Task Action Result), make sure you have a contact for interviewer and follow up.
Once offered a position you will go through an orientation and any training you need.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in charge of a project which didn't go as expected.   Answer Question
  • Tell about a time when you went above and beyond and the result.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Don't just accept the amount offered, try to negotiate as there is a range for each position and # years experience.

Business Analyst I Interview

Business Analyst I
Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in July 2008.

Interview Details – Three rounds of interview.
First being one on one with basic knowledge about the profile.
Second being the IQ, Skill and personality test.
Third was a group discussion where i was introduced to the team heads for us to interact and discuss about the job details and the expectations from me as a working professional.

Negotiation Details – You would not want to negotiate as they are the best pay masters across the globe.

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express interview questions and advice. All 453 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.