American Express

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Getting the Interview

454 candidate interviews

Strategy Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Assessment Centre > Grp work > Grp presentation

Interview Question – To present on a marketing case in front of 70 people with extremely little preparation   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Interview Details – The process happened fast. The recruiter called me one day and two days later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The call was an hour and he asked questions based on my experience and how it fit in with his team. Two weeks Later I received an email saying they are not moving forward with my application. I was surprised he did not give me a live interview.

Interview Question – How I would handle a deal when it is the highest proposal?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – Online application form, CV and Cover letter.
Completed online maths and verbal tests - not my strengths at all but very easy.
Didn't hear back for a while but received a call to schedule a telephone interview. Was supposed to be competency based but asked some random questions lasted around 15-20 mins.
Invited to attend assssment centre including competency and behavioural interviews, one hour to read a case study and prepare for a ten minute presentation and 15-20 mins of questions and an in-tray exercise to be discussed as a group.
VERY friendly and well organised, was impressed.

Interview Question – how would i encourage supermarkets to use amex cards   Answer Question

Summer Internship Position Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – two rounds interviews. you have to go to their assessment centre for the first round. second one is face to face interview with line manager

Interview Question – case study.   View Answer

Software Engineer-java Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter from the talent acquisition team at AMEX for the interview.
The process took 4-5 weeks. Interviewed Nov 2013

Interview Question – The recruiter did an initial technical screening on the phone. The questions were multi choice type. He read the questions and then read the choices. There were about 10 questions. Pretty basic.A day later I was scheduled for the first round of phone interview which was an hour long technical assessment. The questions were simple. At the end of this interview I was asked to code a solution for a simple problem. There was a screen share so that the interviewer could look at my screen.
A day later I got a call saying they'd want to schedule an on-site.
I wasnot given the details as to how many rounds of interview to expect. I wasnot not even given a schedule that listed how long the individual interviews would go for. Was just told the interview would take 2-3 hours.
A day before the interview I received an e-mail saying the interview time was pre-poned by like 2 hours. It was very unprofessional to inform me of pre-poning a day before. I had to take the day off at work.
I had 2 rounds of interview on-site. For both the rounds there were 2 interviewers. The first round was just a resume walk through and a few behavioural questions. the second interview consisted of 2 parts 1. cognitive interview. 2. root cause analysis type.
For the cognitive part, the interviewers would give you a question( like how many ice-creams are sold in US each year) and would want to see your approach for it. for the second part, they'd give you a problem and expect you to come up with the root cause for it.
  View Answers (3)

Finance Internship Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter who informed me that I had been selected to participate in the first round interview process. The first round consisted of two 30 minute phone interviews which were both very casual and very relaxed. Focused on mostly behavioral and 1 situational question and wanted to know if I knew the basics of the American Express's business.

Interview Question – What are American Express' main revenue drivers? Walk me through how American Express obtains it's net income. What was a time where you had to make a tough decision, were there any trade offs?   Answer Question

Data Modeling Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – Interview was confirmed at Saturday midnight and went their office on the following Monday. Talked with several people (directors and VP). Most of the questions were soft questions. Some technical questions were asked but not hard. The interviewers were very friendly. Afterwards, I was assigned a data analysis project over the weekend. The total process was quite efficient and fast considering the Thanksgiving to Christmas holiday period.

Interview Question – I was expecting more technical questions during the Monday in-person interview. But it turned out that they asked quite a few soft questions.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – 1st round interview with 2 managers

Interview Question – describe a time when you have compelling opinion with clients   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – one on-campus interview (two) and then on-site interview. mainly behavioral questions and situational.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – They took a written test , it mostly consisted of thirty aptitude questions and six coding questions to be solved in 90 minutes. Also there was a section on H.R. type questions, like why do you want to join american express, what are the trends in the IT industry you think will have an impact on the future. The shortlisted candidates were grilled through a group discussion, and two personal interviews, shortlisting being done after each round.

Interview Question – asked about SQL about which I had no idea   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express interview questions and advice. All 454 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.