American Express

Updated Feb 22, 2015

Client Manager - OPEN Top Client Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at American Express in April 2014.

i was advanced through a third party search by Emerge Partners. The job listing didn't even identify American Express as the hiring company. After submitting a resume and cover letter, I was invited to answer some questions via a video app and complete a personality/ethics evaluation online. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by American Express recruiting to set up phone interview with a regional director, who did a great job of describing the position and we had a very good conversation about my skills and experience.

Lastly, I was invited to a face to face interview with a regional director, whom I believed would be my team leader. He explained that he was interviewing on behalf of a new director moving from another division. The face to face interview was professional in every way. I as very impressed with the director and enthusiastic about my chances of receiving an offer.

Prior to extending the offer, the incoming director that would ultimately be my team leader contacted me for a quick faces to face meeting. I received the offer days later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation where you had to be creative in overcoming an objection or obstacle.   View Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

Overall very positive experience. The recruiting process took about three weeks total. I sent in my application and within a week, I was selected for an on campus interview. Then a few days later I got selected for a super day. Two days later, I got a call with my offer.

First round: There were a lot of situational and behavioral questions. Nothing too case-like or technical. Just make sure you know enough about the credit card industry, how Amex is differentiated, and show a genuine interest for the position.

Super Day: Pretty similar to the first round except there are a couple case questions. You don't have to use numbers in your answer, but just give a conceptual answer. Learn about how membership rewards work and consider what emerging markets Amex could go into and how.

Interview Questions
    • Why Amex? How does Amex make its revenue, what are its costs? How is it different from other credit cards? And lots of behavioral (Tell me about a time you... failed/worked in a team/took on a risk... etc).   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

I applied through my university and was selected for a first-round interview. There were 2 45-minute back-to-back interviews. Questions were mostly behavioral, but a few were situational. Interviewers were reading the questions off of a sheet and taking notes, so the interviews didn't feel very spontaneous. The interviewers were nice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision.
      Tell me about a time you had to handle a stressful situation.
      If you were told you had to lead marketing campaigns in 3 cities, what questions would you ask and how would you implement the campaigns?

+ plenty of other questions already posted by others.

Answer Question

MBA Risk and Information Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

The initial interview was 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with 2 directors at the New York office. The questions asked ranged from product development, big data, and leadership/behavioral questions. The final interview was at the company's headquarters in NY. It's about a 4 hour process that includes getting to me your peers competing for the internships as well as a introduction to American Express from a Senior Leader. Afterwards you are split up into groups based on your internship. Again you have 2 back to back 1 on 1 interviews with management. Was relatively the same questions as the initial interview. Be prepared to get into as much detail as possible.

Interview Questions
    • If a marketing manager were to come to you with a new product to launch, what things would you consider before launching it?

What background do you have with big data software? What do you think we use big data for?

Answer Question

Manager, Direct Mail Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in May 2012.

Phone interview first - easy/typical. For the in-person interview, the interviewer kept to a script and kept apologizing for asking these detailed hypothetical questions. The interviewer was very nice. Make sure to give yourself some time to check in downstairs - lots of security in the building.

Marketing Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

It was originally supposed to be at my campus with 2 back to back 45 minute interviews but because of a snowstorm, it was over the phone. I had applied through the campus career center and had heard back congratulating me for getting an interview. I had an average interview but the situational questions were very pertinent to credit card services.

American Express 2015 Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

About 50/50 split between HR or situational questions and some basic programming concept questions over the phone. Two interviews back to back lasted for about an hour. The situational questions are especially important. They want to see that someone has the right personality type for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Study your basic programming structures and have answers to questions such as "bring up a time when you..." and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2015.

Career services sent out a link to apply. Went to their office visit. Signed up for virtual coffee chat and got advice from the person for the interview process. Highly recommended for those outside AmEx's recruiting schools to follow up with someone who works at the business unit you want to intern at.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in March 2013.

First with a HR Rep then with a manager. The questions from the manager was in the Targeted style.
    for example they want you to give an instance of when you had to take care of a customer. The interviewer was very patient and friendly. I was told to relax and take my time. I never felt rushed at all.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    none

Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in February 2015.

Reached Amex's recruiting centre in Malviya Nagar. Had to submit a copy of my CV right away. 10 min. wait then I had my HR round (face to face). The round lasted 2 min. & was all about the basic intro. Then 15-20 min. wait & I had my Voice & Accent round (telephonic). This round lasted for 15-20 min. It included brief intro & mostly had story-based questions to find any grammatical error or pronunciation mistake. Fluency & rate of speech are important. Then about 20-30 min. wait & I had my Operations round (telephonic). Just before this round, I was advised by HR to frame my reason of leaving previous organization in order to have better odds of getting selected but I decided to be honest and I had solid responses for the Ops Manager's questions. This round was all about being the controller, expressing yourself and confidently clearing the final interview round. It lasted for about 30 min. Soon, I was told I had cleared the interview and got the joining date. Salary discussion was done shortly & it's not much negotiable but Amex will offer you a salary that is already a bit higher than what is offered in the market. The whole interview process was smooth & I was well informed by the HR there about the duration of waiting and the 3 rounds. To get selected, you need to be extremely confident about yourself and should have brilliant communication skills. I had one last short telephonic round with Ops Manager. It was a casual 2 min. talk. Then, I was told about the documents required, joining date & location, getting a normal medical test done that's free of charge, future course of action. It was a crisp & strict interview. Stay focussed and you're good to go.

Interview Questions
    • Almost all the questions apart from the basic intro were one-liners and required story-like answers.   View Answer
    Amex offers you a salary that is already a bit higher than what you may get elsewhere in this market. So there is little scope of negotiation but you can always pitch your salary expection if you feel you've performed well in the interview. Only then can the salary be somewhat near to your expectation, as it was in my case.
    What you get as your salary will solely depend on your relevant experience & how the interview went.