American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2015

Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Process went smooth. First phone interviews with the recruiter then team leader. Next came the live interview with team leader. Finally interview with team leader and his boss the VP.

Interview Questions

• What negative things would your coworkers and boss say about you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non negotiable

Manager Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Multiple interviews with Sr. Management as well as final interview in NYC World Headquarter. I already worked within the company so the process was not as long. Networking is a big key as you will not get hired unless the hiring person has heard about you or knows you personally

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied in mid November of 2014. Two days later I got a call from a recruiter. First a phone interview with recruiter.Then an untimed video interviewThen a video interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time when you had to deal with an angry customer? How did you overcome that?   Answer Question

Proposal Team - Commercial Card Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (San Francisco, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. First on the phone for 40 minutes. Second in person for an hour. Writing samples and test required. Process seemed fair and straightforward with good exchange of information from both sides.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your writing experience and comfort level with writing and meeting deadlines?   Answer Question

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I had several interviews (at least 5) prior to being hired as a temp. I first interviewed with a manager, then with a Director, then with two Vice Presidents (including the one who hired me). And my final interview was with another admin. All of them were in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Name a time in your career when you failed and what your reaction was   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied thru email. Processing was quick. Got an reply the second day. Scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. The person called on time and was very polite. Interview was straightforward.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Depends on one's preparation. I've had offers within a week, and "thanks but no thanks". Be prepared for the role you want. Remember, the interview is the first experience with your level of details and dedication to the role and team (make an impression).

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time in which you ....   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview only. The position wasn't true project management, it was more of an analyst role in the Program Management Office for Global Business Travel. There were two interviews, each with a Director-level person. Very light conversation and not at all heavy on technical or Senior PM activities and duties.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a PMO?   1 Answer
    • Describe some projects you've managed   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in March 2015.

Interview

Chat with recruiter, phone interview, in-person interview with one manager and one peer. The phone interview consisted mostly of general knowledge questions of the programming language and design concepts. The in-person interview had a couple of practical scenario tests, a whiteboard test, and a few of the classic personality based interview questions. Finally much time was spent gathering information about the projects ongoing in the company.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes the unexpected behaviour X happens in a production system. Here are the printouts of the logs of the various servers, see if you can work out what is going wrong.   Answer Question

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2014.

Interview

STAR stories and who you know. That's it. Never got promoted at American Express, but the skills I learned while interviewing there really helped further my career quickly after I left. I used my STAR stories from American Express to conquer a completely different field, and have been offered every promotion for which I applied.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you had to deal with an angry customer... What did you do and what was the result?   Answer Question