American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

Learning Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2012.

The overall experience was pretty efficient. The recruiter did a great job keeping me informed throughout the entire process. I had a phone screen with the recruiter, a face to face with the hiring manger, and several phone interviews with team members in NY.

I didn't negotiate

Senior Analyst, Campaign Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via email after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 20-30 minutes long with general questions asked and background information given about the role. The usual "you seem great, I'm going to give your resume to the hiring manager and if interested in setting up a face-to-face, we'll reach back out later on this week." Very pleasant. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later to schedule a face-to-face interview. Met with the whole six-member team each with 30 minute interviews from 9a - 12 noon. Everything went really well. General questions were asked. No case questions. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had an extra year of experience over on me.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at American Express.

I applied online. I got a response the next day that they weren't interested. Likely based on the fact this would have been my first at home customer servicing positions.

Interview Questions
    • You will need to explain an instance where you have worked in a similar capacity.   View Answer

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Applied through a recruiter. She set up some time with the hiring manager for a first round over the phone, after which I was invited to two 2nd round interviews, one with the hiring manager and colleague, and one with the VP. Although the interview process went through very quickly because of the urgent need to fill the role, American Express can take time to process things.

Work From Home Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Applied online. Received response approximately one week later for initial interview via webcam thru Hirevue. Approximately two weeks later received a phone call to set up second interview the following day. Completed second interview and was told would receive email or phone call for third interview. Received rejection letter stating I had not made it to the job offer portion of the process. Interview with webcam basic questions, however the interview with live person was very thorough. They state up front there is a background check that goes back to the age of 18 and a drug test. I stated that would not be a problem.

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR method questions. You definitely need to have your A game on and be prepared and be specific. In hindsight, I can see where I could have done a little better.   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I filled out the application on the American Express Careers website and attached my resume. From that I was contacted for an interview. The interview was done as a recorded interview with the video camera being utilized. I do feel that the recorded interview process was a bit awkward and impersonal. I would have preferred to have spoken with a "real" person. It felt a bit like making one of those dating site videos instead of a job interview. And with no interaction with another person, I don't feel it gave your true abilities a chance to shine through.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard and straightforward interview questions.   View Answer

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online - interviewed at American Express.

I applied on line and submitted a resume. I was called for an interview during which interviewer's main concern was that I was overqualified for the position, based on my previous assignments, which was probably right. I explained that all my previous assignments required heavy international travel and I had decided not to travel anymore. He was persuaded that I was not going to be a short timer filling time, and that is the way it worked out.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can interact successfully with card members over the phone, with no face to face interaction?   View Answer
    The mission of the interviewer is to ascertain your strengths and weaknesses for the position. You have to be very straight, direct and concise with your answers, maintain full eye contact and a positive can do attitude. You must be prepared with full knowledge of the company, financial aspects, main products and services.

ER Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Competency based questions. Telephone, in person and panel interview. Questions that asked to give an experience that demonstrated a particular competency that is required for job. Usually selection is made after 3 rounds of interviews.

Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in December 2011.

very strong preference to employee referrals grilling round of interviews starting from telephonic ; to HR followed by a job relevant test , next stage is an senior operations manager followed by a team leader at times even with the process director

Interview Questions
    • none as I was from travel background of 6 years and answered all technical question   Answer Question
    not much as they have a maximum range of 45000 per month for the position followed by incentives quarterly

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

Process included a pre-placement talk, followed by a written exam. And then couple of interviews.
    Written exam had aptitude, verbal, some basic c programming questions, 2 sql queries and small write up on team project.
    One technical interview mostly questions posed on puzzles, Java, Sql and dbms. Be prepared to answer questions on some projects.
    One HR round with standard HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, pretty much straight forward.   View Answer
    No possibility for negotiation for Internship.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!