American Express Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Started at the career fair, Then had an on campus interview. This was half behavioral and half technical. After this you get moved onto a phone interview round. This round is also half behavioral and half technical, though the technical questions become more abstract. Overall, not too bad, the people that recruited me seemed to have freedom to move around in the company and to advance, so it seems that the company is structured nicely.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about setting up a mobile application to tell the user when he/she is in range of a food place he/she likes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2014.

Met with AMEX at a college career fair and had a great first impression. Everyone seemed really passionate and enthusiastic about the company. The process took about 2 weeks to get an interview from the career fair. People kept telling me that I would not need any technical skills for the job or interview and that they would teach me on the job.

The interview was suicide for a person who hasn't taken high level math and Java courses. Asked me to write code, solve math problems, and problem solve for various situations. There were behavioral questions, but mostly technical. Interviewers were very friendly and encouraging and I heard back from the interview 9 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Write the code for a program to find the maximum value and a value greater than or equal to the minimum value.   Answer Question

Credit Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Express.

I went through three separate interviews all on separate days. It was difficult to wait because every day felt like an eternity.The final interview was the best because I did not know that the interviewer was the head of Credit Operations so I was just being myself and we had a few laughs. There was no pressure. Then she offered me the job and I thought that she was joking. It was dunny.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in September 2013.

I went through 2 interviews. Group and individual. It was a tough environment, almost a bit pack fight mentality to seperate the weak from the chaff. But, a great sense of achievment lies if you are up to the challenge and good enough to come through the other end.

Interview Questions
    • How does the history of AMEX effect its aquisition strategy going forward.   View Answer
    Easy enough, limited negotiation experience meant I was happy to accept what they offered me-which seemed (and still does) to be reasonable.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manama (Bahrain)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manama (Bahrain)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in August 2014.

I was called for an interview with people from the business and HR a the same time. They asked all the typical questions of a normal interview.

When I asked what would the rest of the recruitment process be like, they said they had not defined it yet. That sounded quite strange. I asked if it was a matter of them making a decision on hiring me or not or if there would be another interview, and again they said they were not sure.

It has now been over 6 weeks since I had my interview. Even after sending emails asking for feedback, no response was sent back.

I must say it does not feel good to attend an interview in such a respected organisation and be treated with so little respect.

QA Analyst Interview

One round interview with the hiring manager. He was a nice guy asked some very simple questions, mainly behaviourial questions. Asked other question related to QA and they were not very difficult questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Met at career fair, had interview two 45 minute interviews on campus. Next round was on-site the following week, two interviews. The format of all the interviews were the same - a mix of behavioral/situational questions followed by some technical questions, most of which did not require writing code down. Interviewers were very friendly and supportive.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you creatively used your technology background to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    • You are making a food recommendation app - what would yours look like   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Two 45 minute on campus interview, several behavior questions and cases questions, and introduction to the structure of the whole team. One week later received rejection. Interviewers were very friendly.

Interview Questions
    • If expand our business into other country, what should be do?   Answer Question

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professio Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Online application. Contacted about a week later for a phone interview with recruiter. He must have liked my answers because he scheduled a video interview with the hiring manager the following day. Was asked the normal STAR questions and advised I would be contacted in 48 hours with decision . I received email 3 days later scheduling another video conference for the formal job offer

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a frustrated customer   View Answer
    No room for negotiation

Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The whole interview process took one month. Went thru total 5 rounds of interview which included recuriter,HR, leader, trainer & Manager, HOD before i secured the position. Interviewer involved can be solo or in team.

Surprised that the process is fast even though it went thru many tiers of interview. Different from most of the companies which will only have 2-3 rounds of interview for a Team Leader position. However, i think the process is great as it help to identify the right candidate to be present to the final decision maker which is a norm for AMEX. Even the most junior position in the business unit needs to go thru 3 rounds before offered.

Interview Questions
    • This job required techinical skill and experience but i have most questions asked in personality and peoples managing. Real focus on leadership and only one listening skill test.   Answer Question