American Express Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

Information Management Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Found the job posting on my college job post. Submitted my resume. Heard back within about two weeks. Had a 30-minute screening call with HR followed by a 30-minute phone interview with the hiring manager. Both calls went well. Was invited for a second round interview at the New York office. Had 7 interviews scheduled, ended up having five. Most went well. The said I would hear back in about two weeks. I emailed them after two weeks, they said one more week. I never heard back and they never responded to my emails after that.

Account Protection Specialist Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express.

This is purely STAR format. "Tell me about a time when you.." They don't deviate at all from the script. Keep a few good stories in mind and try not to name drop. From a meeting with the hiring managers for this department, they prefer "At my previous position," instead of "When I worked for Whatever, Incorporated," in your answering.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about your least favorite job ever. What was it, and why?"   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I was offered more than what the original offer was and I accepted it. American Express isn't perfect, but they pay almost 30% more than what I was making doing this same exact job for another company.

CCP Home Based Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Express in September 2013.

Received call requesting me to sign my application so they could review my experience on Wed. Wasn't able to complete it that day so Thursday I got another call requesting me to sign it which I did later in the evening. Friday I received a call from a recruiter requesting an interview in which I agreed to go ahead and speak with him at that moment, totally unprepared and never reviewed any information on Amex's interviews. While on the call the recruiter asked to place me on hold and when he returned advised me the hiring manager was requesting an interview appointment for the same day only 2 hrs later. I accepted and was a nervous wreck. I did not review any reviews for the position as I was too nervous. Hiring manager explained what was expected in the position and reviewed my experience periodically stopping asking how I would handle a situation as this.... At the end of the interview I was advised he would be making a decision within 2 days and would contact me if I was selected. On Tuesday morning at 800 am I received a call from the hiring manager requesting an offer interview for the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you were faced with a difficult situation. How did you handle it and what was the outcome.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed with the benefits and pay they offer. Very Extensive background check. Verify and confirm every word you say or put on your application as far back as my high school transcript 18 yrs ago.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Started at the career fair, Then had an on campus interview. This was half behavioral and half technical. After this you get moved onto a phone interview round. This round is also half behavioral and half technical, though the technical questions become more abstract. Overall, not too bad, the people that recruited me seemed to have freedom to move around in the company and to advance, so it seems that the company is structured nicely.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about setting up a mobile application to tell the user when he/she is in range of a food place he/she likes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in October 2014.

Met with AMEX at a college career fair and had a great first impression. Everyone seemed really passionate and enthusiastic about the company. The process took about 2 weeks to get an interview from the career fair. People kept telling me that I would not need any technical skills for the job or interview and that they would teach me on the job.

The interview was suicide for a person who hasn't taken high level math and Java courses. Asked me to write code, solve math problems, and problem solve for various situations. There were behavioral questions, but mostly technical. Interviewers were very friendly and encouraging and I heard back from the interview 9 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Write the code for a program to find the maximum value and a value greater than or equal to the minimum value.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

The questions asked in the technical tests were very algorithm-focused and also covered a lot of tricky corners cases in the syntactical details of the Java programming language. I was surprised the interview process took so long - it was just over 2 months from start to finish before I finally got an offer. In between I had 5 phone interviews, 6 on-site technical interviews, a drug test, a full background screening from an independent company and a personality test conducted by 4 of the senior project managers. Towards the end I was getting tired of the process and was tempted to let go of the position but the position was very convenient for me because it was such a short commute - unfortunately I ended up moving later because of external circumstances, but that's beside the point - it was a really long process - they certainly left no stone unturned.

Interview Questions
    • Plot a 10x10 matrix and, without using any additional Java library functions or built-in data structures, rotate the matrix by 90 degrees.   Answer Question
    There was next to no room for negotiation. I tried to get the salary increased but they said there was no room for movement.

Placement Student: Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in November 2011.

Initial CV, Covering Letter. After screening CV and Covering letter, initial telephone interview. Assessed about knowledge of excel and the company. Few competency based questions.
    Final assessment centre: Networking lunch (try and get noticed about , expected to prepare a presentation about the Amex business and two competency based interviews).

Credit Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at American Express.

I went through three separate interviews all on separate days. It was difficult to wait because every day felt like an eternity.The final interview was the best because I did not know that the interviewer was the head of Credit Operations so I was just being myself and we had a few laughs. There was no pressure. Then she offered me the job and I thought that she was joking. It was dunny.

Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in September 2013.

I went through 2 interviews. Group and individual. It was a tough environment, almost a bit pack fight mentality to seperate the weak from the chaff. But, a great sense of achievment lies if you are up to the challenge and good enough to come through the other end.

Interview Questions
    • How does the history of AMEX effect its aquisition strategy going forward.   View Answer
    Easy enough, limited negotiation experience meant I was happy to accept what they offered me-which seemed (and still does) to be reasonable.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manama (Bahrain)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manama (Bahrain)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in August 2014.

I was called for an interview with people from the business and HR a the same time. They asked all the typical questions of a normal interview.

When I asked what would the rest of the recruitment process be like, they said they had not defined it yet. That sounded quite strange. I asked if it was a matter of them making a decision on hiring me or not or if there would be another interview, and again they said they were not sure.

It has now been over 6 weeks since I had my interview. Even after sending emails asking for feedback, no response was sent back.

I must say it does not feel good to attend an interview in such a respected organisation and be treated with so little respect.