American Express

453 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Accounting Manager Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – The process took several weeks. First interview was over the phone with the HR recruiter. Second interview was in person. Took about an hour.

Interview Question – A few situational based questions. They asked why I wanted to work for them.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – The process happened fast. The recruiter called me one day and two days later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The call was an hour and he asked questions based on my experience and how it fit in with his team. Two weeks Later I received an email saying they are not moving forward with my application. I was surprised he did not give me a live interview.

Interview Question – How I would handle a deal when it is the highest proposal?   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at American Express in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty basic. I did have to plan or prepare much at all. I was called by a staffing agency notifying me of the job and asking if I'd be interested in interviewing. I was then contacted by a native German speaking working at Amex who called to initially screen me for how well my German speaking fluency was. I then interviewed with the recruiting manager as well as the German speaking worker I talked to on the phone.

Interview Question – The most difficult or unexpected question the recruiting manager asked me was if faced with an web-servicing issue, what initial steps would I take to resolve the issue.   View Answer

Lead Developer Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Incredibly convoluted! 4 separate interviews (3 technical, 1 leadership) after initial screening. 2-months+ end-to-end.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Plantation, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Interview process is three step process. Phone screening, then second interview hiring manager typical your manager, then final interview with the director of the department who has the final decision (if you make it this far, this is who you have to wow).

Interview Question – Have career plan that matches the companies goals and the job posting. Be very clear to answer all questions that are asked because there are multiple questions asked in one each example question your are asked to explain in your work experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be sure to ask what is the pay range before you accept to make sure it is what you expect, very important.

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Simple and straightforward hiring process. Very behavioral and situational. Didn't receive any curveballs or case studies. However, the process takes a long time - about 1-2 months. But this can very across divisions and hiring leads.

Interview Question – The most "difficult" question was "What are American Express's key revenue streams and costs? Describe three of each." Basically, you should have a solid understanding of how the business makes money and how it operates, because there are so many business lines at the company.   Answer Question

Training Specialist Interview

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – It is situation, action, and outcome. For example, "Describe a situation where you had to adjust workflows to accommodate business needs".

Interview Question – If you were hired what could you bring to the department and what could the department bring to you?   Answer Question

Collections Specialist Interview

I applied online and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – you fill out an extensive application that will move you to a test where you simulate a phone call with a customer. You get another test that will ask you questions about your character and ethics

Interview Question – the answer about the character and ethics must match the companies culture and values   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offer me the base pay for a collections agent $16.99 and this was based on my experience. Some people get offered $ 20 and hour depending on level of education and experience

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in February 2014.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview with an HR contact. There were so many moments of awkward silence after my responses that I tried to cut, but after a while it was out of control. I followed up our conversation with a thank you e-mail, and was expecting to hear back from her. However, after 2 weeks I still had not heard anything, so I reached out with an e-mail asking if there was any update on my status as a candidate. After over a week there has still be no response. In my opinion this is just unprofessional, and I would have appreciated even a system-generated e-mail stating that they were no longer going to pursue me as a candidate.

Interview Question – What is the biggest challenge you've faced with doing your current job?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Interview Details – Initial contact took about 2 months from when I first applied. Job offered was a different position than originally posted. I reapplied for the position that was available and was interviewed twice within one week.
Following week I was interviewed again. Questions were relating to my work history, ways that problems may have been solved in the past, etc. I felt the interviews were thorough and brought out the best and worst parts of my work history.
The interview process to background check are very thorough. This worked for me because I am responsible and worked with customers directly for a long time.

Interview Question – Summarized: Describe a scenario where you implemented a new policy or procedure with a company.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express