American Express Interview Questions & Reviews

521 interviews

Director Global Merchant Insights & B2B New Product Development Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Very professional HR Recruiter & hiring Manager who asked good questions by phone. Recruiter felt my background fit the job description perfectly but was concerned that the salary was lower than my previous employer. The hiring manager interviewed me by phone as well, and did not move me to the next round as there were other candidates "more aligned to the role", although she provided very positive feedback on being "thoroughly impressed" by my background and my "fantastic energy". I received timely feedback from the recruiter, which allowed me to pursue other opportunities. I had the impression that the hiring manager may already have had a candidate in mind for the role.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Applied online via the AMEX website and was asked for a time for a phone interview within a week. After the phone interview, the hiring manager followed up a day later to set up a time for the in-person interview. Unfortunately, it was difficult to align the proposed interviews times with the directors/managers I would be meeting with. After radio silence for a week, I followed up with the hiring manager and was told the team ended up hiring someone internally and didn't need me to come in anymore.

Interview Questions
    • Basic screening questions about resume and relevant experience as it pertains to the positions.   Answer Question

Manager - Risk Management Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at American Express.

I went through the campus recruitment process. Had two case interviews. One is about the credit card profitability. The other is about the direct mail campaign efficiency. The interview questions are not too difficult and both of the interveiwers are nice. I only went through one round.

No negotiation

Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2014.

2 phone interviews with recruiters (Allegis Global) then face-to-face with the hiring manager. The questions are what you would expect: reasons for leaving current job, skills, expectations. The hiring manager was friendly and explained the team and job responsibilities in details. However, after the interview, I have not heard back from either the recruiter or hiring manager for over 4 weeks, not even after follow-up emails; should at least inform candidate of the rejection for the sake of professionalism

Customer Service Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

It was over the phone very professional. They call you and have an over phone interview. Then you interview with a director. If they like you they will let you know after interview with director.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the exact question asked prepare par situations.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

The hiring process was very detailed and very lengthy, First I interviewed over the phone, then I was went into the city and went thru a process of interviewing with a manager. Once that was completed I flew to another city and interviewed with a director. I was then called with an offer by another person. Very difficult process

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate an employee who has applied for the Team Leader position 2 times and has been declined? This employee will report to you?   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional Tier II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The interview process went very smoothly. I applied online and received an email to complete online testing. After testing, I received a call the next day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for later on that day. After the phone interview, I was invited to come to the office for an in person interview the next week. The in person interview was with one person. She told me about the position and reviewed my resume. She asked me five competency based questions and asked if I had any questions for her. She advised that I would here something either way by the end of the week. At 4:45pm on Friday of that week, I received a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions that I was asked was about how my actions contributed to change within an organization.   Answer Question
    There was really no room to negotiate. You basically have to accept what they offer or take the chance of having the offer withdrawn. I was very satisfied with the offer extended to me.

Customer Service - Inbound Phone Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Express.

After applying on-line it took about a week to hear back with a phone interview. Quick interview, standard questions, and if you pass that stage you go in for a panel of interviews and a computer based test.

Interview Questions
    • What do you least like about working in a call center?   View Answer
    No negotiation for entry level.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online - interviewed at American Express in May 2014.

Recruiter, then hiring staff internally. Then you may interview with your potential peers, then leader then business leader. Then they ask you 3-4 competency based questions. They move you to the next level if you do well. If you don't, you receive a decline letter.

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in June 2014.

The application is pretty simple as well as the assessment. Although the assessment can be a little bit intimidating. Once you have taken it, they don't tell you right away if you failed it. either you get an email the next day that you were not considered for the position, or you will receive a email/call to set up a possible interview.

Interview Questions
    • one of the most difficult questions asked, or at least so I thought was, "tell me a time when you have a difficult manager and what you did"? Really, I was prepared for all types of types of question even practiced the Star method of answering and I choked.   View Answer