American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

Marketing Analyst Interview

Went through a series of phone screenings and then came in for an in person interview. I met with three different people and had three separate 30 minute interviews with each of them.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at American Express.

Round one was a thirty minute HR telephonic screening interview. Round two was a four hour written test consisting of a test case scenario. Round three was a round robin interview with five managers each asking five questions.

Interview Questions
    • Behavior-based interview questions. Nothing that would throw you for a loop if you complete a self-assessment on your own beforehand.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in March 2014.

Applied on the website after visiting their booth at my university's career fair, and I was invited to an interview on campus the following week. The interview consisted of two separate 45-minute sessions, each with one person asking behavioral questions, and both were relatively friendly and engaging. I was later invited to their "super day" for a second round of interviews, which narrowed down to about 20 students. This included a tour around their campus and again two separate interview sessions. One of the interviewers also included his own technical questions not on the packet they were given, while the other stuck to the standard behavioral questions, some of which were repeats of the questions from the first round.

Technology Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Remote, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at American Express in May 2014.

The hiring process started out just fine... the hiring manager called for a phone interview. Then I got another interview with the hiring manager where I had to do a presentation. I finally got a face to face with a Director. Everything was going fine and the hiring manager screwed up the process at the end. HR even called me to talk about salary. I interviewed in May and just got an email 3 months later that I didn't get the job. I found out that the hiring manager was trying to push through someone she knew. You truly have to know someone at the top to get a job there. What a waste of my time and energy.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. The hiring manager wasn't real bright. My questions were more difficult than the hiring manager's.   Answer Question

Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in July 2014.

First, you'll apply online. Applying online is a vigorous process in my opinion, you're doing assessments which are very relevant to the job that give you an idea of what it's like to work in a Call Center environment. Then, you'll have an assessment that is more math and logical (if that's the word to describe it - this is my least favorite). Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will do a phone interview. They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Helpful hint: Explain the customers emotions and the outcome of the situation. If all is well, you'll be scheduled for an in-person interview. The questions will be very similar, "Tell me about a time ..." They want to know how you handle yourself in customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how new releases or procedures in your current position made it difficult to do your job?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. American Express pays way better than their competitors.

Director Global Merchant Insights & B2B New Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Very professional HR Recruiter & hiring Manager who asked good questions by phone. Recruiter felt my background fit the job description perfectly but was concerned that the salary was lower than my previous employer. The hiring manager interviewed me by phone as well, and did not move me to the next round as there were other candidates "more aligned to the role", although she provided very positive feedback on being "thoroughly impressed" by my background and my "fantastic energy". I received timely feedback from the recruiter, which allowed me to pursue other opportunities. I had the impression that the hiring manager may already have had a candidate in mind for the role.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in April 2012.

Applied online via the AMEX website and was asked for a time for a phone interview within a week. After the phone interview, the hiring manager followed up a day later to set up a time for the in-person interview. Unfortunately, it was difficult to align the proposed interviews times with the directors/managers I would be meeting with. After radio silence for a week, I followed up with the hiring manager and was told the team ended up hiring someone internally and didn't need me to come in anymore.

Interview Questions
    • Basic screening questions about resume and relevant experience as it pertains to the positions.   Answer Question

Manager - Risk Management Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at American Express.

I went through the campus recruitment process. Had two case interviews. One is about the credit card profitability. The other is about the direct mail campaign efficiency. The interview questions are not too difficult and both of the interveiwers are nice. I only went through one round.

No negotiation

Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in June 2014.

2 phone interviews with recruiters (Allegis Global) then face-to-face with the hiring manager. The questions are what you would expect: reasons for leaving current job, skills, expectations. The hiring manager was friendly and explained the team and job responsibilities in details. However, after the interview, I have not heard back from either the recruiter or hiring manager for over 4 weeks, not even after follow-up emails; should at least inform candidate of the rejection for the sake of professionalism

Customer Service Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in August 2010.

It was over the phone very professional. They call you and have an over phone interview. Then you interview with a director. If they like you they will let you know after interview with director.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the exact question asked prepare par situations.   Answer Question