American Express Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

Data Modeling Interview

Interview

Interview was confirmed at Saturday midnight and went their office on the following Monday. Talked with several people (directors and VP). Most of the questions were soft questions. Some technical questions were asked but not hard. The interviewers were very friendly. Afterwards, I was assigned a data analysis project over the weekend. The total process was quite efficient and fast considering the Thanksgiving to Christmas holiday period.

Interview Questions

• I was expecting more technical questions during the Monday in-person interview. But it turned out that they asked quite a few soft questions.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Interview

multiple interviews with everyone at the company apparently. endless interviews all asking the same thing. smart people but very antiquated hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• they all ask the same thing 10 different ways "what was a time in which...blah blah blah"   Answer Question

Negotiation

negotiate at leat 5k more than they offer...they are cheap

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Varies by group, most are 4-5 30min interviews with various peers or leaders to get your honest responses. What you should say varies by group so reach out to individuals before hand to truly understand the culture.

Interview Questions

• What is an opportunity area.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Initial process regarding interview went rather quickly, within a few days I had the initial phone interview, the in-depth phone interviewer, and then an offer. So the turn around time was fairly quick.

Interview Questions

• Ran into some issues with onboarding as they dropped the ball with following-up, verification of information, etc. Training was comprehensive (almost three months) and most of the trainers were helpful. Things took a turn for the worst once I was done with training and dealing with disrespectful upper management and team leads. They definitely do not embody the values mentioned in the initial hiring stages. I would not recommend this company or this position.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

Completed online application and was contacted by email about 2 weeks later to complete additional questionnaires. Got called for a phone interview which took about 45 minutes and was scheduled for an in person interview the next day. Met with 2 managers and the interview took an hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had come up with an idea at work that changed policies that made the company run better   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was very happy with the amount offered.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Waste of time. The experience of interviewing with American express for the data scientist position made me wonder wether being a data scientist means that you are a geek with no decent people skill. They treated me in a very unprofessional and unaccepted way. They did not care about showing up on time for interviews. The worst part is that they threw random questions at me. All of the questions were something you could find online for typical interview questions for quantitative positions. I guess they did search for something online before the interview.

Interview Questions

• I think that one of the questions they asked was just have no answer. I seriously doubt the validity of the question.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express in November 2013.

Interview

Pre-interview at a conference followed by a phone interview.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Interview

one on-campus interview (two) and then on-site interview. mainly behavioral questions and situational.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2013.

Interview

1. Contacted by recruiter for this position. Had an initial talk with Recruiter on phone. 2. Interview Coordinator emailed me about the technical interview on phone 3. Went thru technical interview and the interviewer said on spot that he will recommend me for further rounds 4. They called me for onsite interview at Phoenix, AZ 5. Recruiter told me that there can one round or two rounds based on interview panel. Later I figured that based on the performance in the first round, they will perform second round. If the first round do no go well, they will not waste time in second round. They might just skip it. 6. They sent me flight tickets and made arrangements for my travel from airport to AMEX campus. 7. Arrived at campus in time and interviewers arrived on time 8. First round: Cognitive Skills: Two interviewers came: They will ask you 2 questions. First one is an open ended question testing your thinking capability. Your thought process matters than the result for this question. Second one will be a project problem to be solved. They will give you a problem statement. You are expected to ask questions to understand their system and approach a solution. I did perform great (at least as per me) in this round. 9. Second Round: Behavioural & Resume Walk thru round:Another two interviewers came in and first two left: Based on your performance on first round, they will continue this round. They will ask you lot of questions on various situations. I observed that they will ask you regular expected behavioural questions in a twisted way. So, questions might sound new to you but they are all same expected questions. I think I did well in this interview too. They said I will get to know the results in 3-4 working days. Got email from AMEX in 4 days saying that I'm not selected for this position. I thought I did well in all rounds of interviews but may be I'm missing something which they were specifically looking for this role. Its hard to guess the reason for rejection when you performed good.

Interview Questions

• Behavioural Round: It is really difficult to guess whether you performed good in this round as your answers might be interpreted in different ways by different interviewers. There are no perfect answers. Do your best and leave the rest to your luck.   2 Answers

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Four step process. (1) An initial phone interview with the hiring leader, very informal, wanted to know my background, expertise, future endeavors, etc. (2) A two-part, in person interview at the office. I met with the hiring leader and another Sr. Manager. I was asked to discuss my education and work experience followed by a series of scenario based questions. The format was very relaxing and enjoyable. (3) I was contacted shortly after for a second, in person interview with the VP of the group. This included another set of scenario based questions and was much more formal. (4) After my interview with the VP, I was asked to complete a case study. Very heavy on data analysis and had to present my power point via phone to the hiring leader. Was contacted the next day offering me the position. A great, efficient experience. The company is renovating their offices to a new, more collaborative environment. Both of my interviews were held on these renovated floors.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly scenario based. Questions required examples of what steps you completed in order to work through an analytical process.   Answer Question