American Express Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

It was a drawn out interviewing process ultimately consisting of 8 interviews. Interviews included behavioral accompanied with an hour technical to what-if scenarios.

Salary offered was insufficient

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

Wired! They interviewed me for a position they already filled. I was asked by a recruiter to apply for a new business analyst role, after two months they suddenly made an appearance with a phone scree and a show onsite for the job which had been filled previous week. I am surprised at AMEX culture.

Platinum Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in July 2013.

Interview

The interview process is deceptive. They tell you that you are there for a permanent position. You go through and extensive...EXTENSIVE background check and there is a lot of hoopla surrounding your actual hire but it is not an actual permanent position and you are not told this until you've already started the job and it may be to late because you may have given up a permanent job for something that is very shaky and shady to say the least.

Interview Questions

• Nothing. The interviewer was amazing but again, they need to tell the potential hire that this is NOT a permanent position from the get go!!!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Again...if it would have been for a permanent job, this would have been amazing.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by phone to setup a phone interview for the following day

Homebased Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express (Atlanta, GA) in April 2013.

Interview

I saw the job at workersonboard.com a site that is filled with work @home jobs listings. I filled at an application, after which I was asked to take an assessment. The assessment consisted of a mock call center multiple choice test. This test requires you to really think, be sure to choose the options that reflect educating the customer about products and services, as well as the one that require you to follow procedure to answer certain questions. Basically, answer the questions as if you already are an Amex employee, and you should be fine. I took this test 2 times over the course of the year. The next assessment involves logic games such as, matching shapes with the next pattern in the series, and also reading math word problems and answering the questions. This test is timed, and you may only get through 8 of them. I took my time and provided precise answers and made it through about 6 questions. The next assessment tested your data entry skills, and fast your alpha-numeric typing is. The last assessment I believe was a personality test. I received a call from HR the next day (Clarissa) to schedule a phone interview, about 2 pm. She asked about why I left my former jobs and then proceeded to ask behavioral questions like... Why do you want to work for Amex? Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty in your previous job? Name a time when you had a difficult problem and how did you handle it? Name a time when you provided world class customer service? Name a time when you had to deal with an irate customer what did you do? Name a time when you solved a problem while on the job?

*****IMPORTANT ANSWER ALL AMEX INTERVIEW QUESTIONS USING THE STAR METHOD.

This involves providing them with specific examples from you employment history. They expect this.... there was a time when I worked for company A or B, etc, etc. then provide what happened and the final result as well. Be sure to portray yourself in a positive light. She was very nice and I felt comfortable. I didn't experience what the other reviewers mentioned in the previous posts on here, thankfully. At the end of our 30 min interview I was informed thatI would be moving on to the next step. She coached me and told me about how important the STAR method would be in the final interview phase. Note******* How you present yourself is very important. Sound professional, be confident and precise in your communication, Amex likes these types of people. The next day came and I had to have the time pushed back because I felt bad and refused to interview in that state. Amex recruiting was accommodating and reassuring. I was interviewed 2 hours later that day and the same behavioral type questions was asked. He went over my work history, and then asked a total of 8 specific behavioral type questions. See below.

Give an example of how you worked on team? Have you ever made a mistake? How did you handle it? Give an example of an occasion when you used logic to solve a problem. How do you handle Irrate Customers? Name a time when you had to tailor a solution for a customer, because your company's current products and services couldn't help them? EXACT QUESTION

****** USE THE STAR METHOD, USE SPECIFIC EXAMPLES AND DO NOT USE THE EXAMPLES FROM THE PREVIOUS INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON THIS FINAL INTERVIEW. USE ORIGINAL SCENARIOS FROM PREVIOUS JOBS. INCORPORATE ALL OF YOUR WORK HISTORY!!!
    At the end of the interview he asked me if I had any questions, which i did. He also asked me to confirm my home address and email, told me I would be hearing something in 48 hours.
    I received a call in less than 24 hours about 10 am the next day. I accepted the offer over the phone, and was told that they needed to schedule a time for an on boarding session, which consisted of Amex expectations, job details, metrics, benefits, Your starting salary, and schedule preferences. This would last a full hour.

The starting salary provided online is just a base rate, you know the position advertises 15.73 an hour. This rate is relative, and is only a starting point, not the exact pay for each person. They take your degree and experience into consideration.
    Amex scheduling is pretty flexible, but it is set up so that you will work at least 2 weekend days, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They require you to work 2 of the 3 weekend days. Basically they give you the specifics of the schedule and then you choose your preferences based on their highest call times.

After my on boarding session was told that they will run a background criminal check, work history verification, education verification and a drug test. They use a company called Hireright. Beware ,because this company is very through, and will ask for w-2's from previous employers, and a blood sample, just kidding!! I am still waiting to initiate and complete my background check as the site seems to be down.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to tailor a solution for a customer, because your company's current products and services couldn't help them?   4 Answers

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate, I felt highly compensated!!

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express.

Interview

I had a 15-minute phone-screening interview on a Wednesday, followed by a 1-hour technical phone interview the following Friday. My comments pertain to the technical interview.

The technical interview was broken into 3 parts:

1.) Technical statistical questions (e.g., assumptions of the analysis, strengths and weaknesses of various estimation procedures, how it treats various types of variables)
    2.) Hypothesis Testing (this was all self-explanatory)
    3.) Applied Questions. They prefaced this question by telling you that they just want to know how you think and that there may not be a right answer. Some of these were along the lines of statistical brain teasers.

They end the interview by giving you the opportunity to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Which of these pieces of information would be most useful in estimating the number of people who work in a 30 story building.

1.) The number of cars in the parking lot
      2.) The number of people eating lunch in the cafeteria
      3.) The number of people on the 11th floor

I had no idea how to answer this one. They all seem inadequate. Several of the other questions had more obvious red herrings, so gave a justification for ruling out #3, then focused on the pros and cons of the other 2.

I think they just want to know how you work through this kind of problem. (But who knows?)

1 Answer

Interview

Applied online through AMEX a recruiter called me back within an hour.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

I submit my initial application and was contacted 2 days later to set up an interview. during the interview the recruiter asked me only 2 questions the second one being what business to business customer service experience do you have. I advised him none He then told me that it was a requirement for the position. (even though this was not mentioned in the job ad). well that killed my chances right there

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

long, cumbersome and tedious

was contacted by axp's RPO (vendor AllegisTalent2) recruiter for this position. he was incredibly professional, amiable, and courteous (every candidates and employer's skillset dream) but unfortunately with little to no influence on or control of the super annoying interviewing process.

* 1 tele-screen with him some exploratory dialogue and 3 behavioral competency questions
    * about a month later another tele-screen interview (they wanted me to come in, i did not yet have enough stake in the process to agree) with his superior and the account relationship manager (the liaison between the RPO and the amex recruiting function)
    * almost another month later a supposedly scheduled "on site" (i'm out of town m-th or fri for project work) and a total last minute solidified appointment reversal due to administrative scheduling ineptitude. profuse apologies but way too late as far as i was concerned. i was told the snafu would allow instead for a tele-screen the next day once the interviewer could be confirmed
    * that too was fouled up because i was given two times from which to choose 9 am and 4pm (two times i had earlier already conveyed that i was out of pocket). i flex'd to meet their needs, chose 4pm and awaited the confirmation
    * got a call at noon asking if it was still a good time to talk. i said the expectation that was set was 4pm, that no, i was not available because i was in the middle of eating lunch with others, . the caller sounded uber annoyed and said that the call would be rescheduled
    * finally the call ensued with his superior the next week (not sure why he was out of pocket, perhaps better off as far as i was concerned). needless to say i was so put off that i wasn't over focused on the interview content as by that point i was not taking the process (or job for that matter seriously) but i was still polished and professional
    * was told someone would be in touch with me in about 3-4 business days.
    * never heard back a single word, not even an auto-rejection from taleo, despsite at least 2 hours worth of personalized contact and follow up with my first recruiter

VEEEERRRRRYYYYYYY DISAPPOINTED MR FIRST RECRUITER, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when....adaptability, change, decision making, project mgt etc...   Answer Question

Strategy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Several rounds of phone interviews, the process took a long time but speed up once internal HR was hounded. First caller was late to my call and lasted only 5 min. Second call consisted of a case. Last call, I was invited to HQ for a visit only later to have received a letter to not come.

Interview Questions

• Business case was dependent on knowing industry jargon.   Answer Question