American Express Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in February 2012.

Taking three interview HR interview Admin interview Aptitude test and selected for the post of Director.

Interview Questions
    • Very easy questions are asked in interview and selected.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2012.

The interviews usually begin with an overview of my background (throwing in skills here and there that make me a good fit for the role). Then, the hiring leader usually asks some situational questions ( "tell me about a time when you..."). There is almost ALWAYS a question for 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. Somehow I always manage to flub this question anyway. Usually there's a question about how I might handle a specific scenario ("What would you do if the budget for a project you were working on was slashed but the forecast remained the same?") Always helps to discuss how I work with other teams because the company is very matrixed. I always come prepared with questions for the leader, even if I already know the answers from our informational interview.
    Then, if I'm lucky, I get a 2nd round with the hiring leader's leader. The formality and intensity of these interviews can depend heavily on that leader's style. I have been asked to discuss the results of marketing campaigns - including numbers. I have also had to answer more situational questions. Again, come prepared with questions about the role/team.
    Then, offers are made (or aren't).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to get buy-in from a partner who was unwilling and what you did to get them on board.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Very easy. They are looking for a naive happy simple person who care about other people and wants to work there forever. I did talk to more then 3 different people. It was a bit nerve racking but they were all very nice. I also was told about what kind of benefits I would be getting up front. Loved that.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a million bucks?   View Answer
    They negotiate. I got a few more bucks an hour.

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2012.

I had 4 rounds of interview for this position. The first round was a phone screen by HR. The secound round was with a Senior Manager and the third round was with another Senior Manager. The final round was with the VP head of the group. The first and last round were more relaxed because they just wanted to see if I would be a match for the group. The second and third round interview was very intense and consisted of 80% situational questions. I think it would have been better to combine the two sessions with the Senior Managers into one interview as they both asked very similar questions. I think they must have used the same question sheet.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember exactly but it was a situational question asking what I would do in a certain situation.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate which I regret.

Senior Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express in January 2012.

HR will contact you and a manager will interview you. After that they will send email of employment procedures and background check. If you pass everything they will tell you to your location.

Interview Questions
    • Will give you personality questions and travel industry quiz.   Answer Question

Collections Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Easy phone screen interview, followed by an in person interview a couple days later. Decent starting salary, training was 13 weeks long and weird hours. Personality test and behavioral questionnaires for interview. You interview with one person, and then another person comes in to interview you. They give you a tour of the facility. It seems like a great company to work for, lots of security.

Interview Questions

Too long of a commute, hours did not work.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2012.

It is a contractor position. I had a phone interview with a manager, asking about my background and some details of used concepts. A group interview in the following week, talked about pretty much the same as that in phone interview.

Lead Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weston, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Weston, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in December 2011.

The first interview is a compentecy interview where they ask different situations and how have you handled those from the past.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to make the decision, but had to involve others to make the final decisionn?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you took the initiative to develop a new skill or expand your knowledge?   Answer Question

Compliance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in December 2011.

Phone Screen, panel interview, then interview with the vp of department

Interview Questions
    • escribe a time when it was important for you to keep the big picture or overall strategy in mind, despite the demands you faced.   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time when you believed it was i9mportant to challenge generally accepted ideas or assumptions?   Answer Question

I wanted to remain a line leader

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express in December 2011.

Phone interview went well. I thought the in person interview went well. They said they would contact me in two weeks to let me know. TWO WEEKS! Then AmEx never contacted me only for making it necessary for me to call them in 2.5 weeks. They apologized saying they found someone more qualified. Not very responsible in their follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you went above the call of duty in your job?   View Answer
    • How do you up sell customers?   View Answer