American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

lengthy long interview process you meet with various members of your would be team
    There is a phone interview from recruiter
    Then you will meet with about 4-5 folks from the team
    Then hopefully you become hired

not much room for negotiation

Customer Service Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

I applied on line and submitted a resume. I was called for an interview during which interviewer's main concern was that I was overqualified for the position, based on my previous assignments, which was probably right. I explained that all my previous assignments required heavy international travel and I had decided not to travel anymore. He was persuaded that I was not going to be a short timer filling time, and that is the way it worked out.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can interact successfully with card members over the phone, with no face to face interaction?   View Answer
    The mission of the interviewer is to ascertain your strengths and weaknesses for the position. You have to be very straight, direct and concise with your answers, maintain full eye contact and a positive can do attitude. You must be prepared with full knowledge of the company, financial aspects, main products and services.

Call Center Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Contacted two weeks after I applied by the recruiter. Pre screening was easy about 20 mins which were followed by two more one on one interviews. HR personnel were very nice and extremely professional, hiring process took a week from initial contact to receiving an actual offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were easy behavioral/scenario questions, just be prepared with a few examples.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate, but I was offered a higher rate than the jobs original posting. Be confident in your responses & speak of anything relevant to the position you are applying for

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ocean Springs, MS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in September 2014.

I filled out the application on the American Express Careers website and attached my resume. From that I was contacted for an interview. The interview was done as a recorded interview with the video camera being utilized. I do feel that the recorded interview process was a bit awkward and impersonal. I would have preferred to have spoken with a "real" person. It felt a bit like making one of those dating site videos instead of a job interview. And with no interaction with another person, I don't feel it gave your true abilities a chance to shine through.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were pretty standard and straightforward interview questions.   View Answer

Work From Home Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

Applied online. Received response approximately one week later for initial interview via webcam thru Hirevue. Approximately two weeks later received a phone call to set up second interview the following day. Completed second interview and was told would receive email or phone call for third interview. Received rejection letter stating I had not made it to the job offer portion of the process. Interview with webcam basic questions, however the interview with live person was very thorough. They state up front there is a background check that goes back to the age of 18 and a drug test. I stated that would not be a problem.

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR method questions. You definitely need to have your A game on and be prepared and be specific. In hindsight, I can see where I could have done a little better.   Answer Question

Corporate Travel Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at American Express in September 2014.

I completed the application online which based on the criteria submitted lead me to a 60 minute timed online test. Approximately 2 weeks later I received a phone call to set up a 30 minute phone interview. The questions were typical situation work scenarios that I answered using the star format. I guess I did well with that interview. One week later I received a phone call to set up conference interview for next week. I do not know what this will entail which makes me nervous because I like to be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question - Tell me about a time that you developed a plan for a problem and how the plan was implemented.   View Answer

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professio Interview

Online application. Contacted about a week later for a phone interview with recruiter. He must have liked my answers because he scheduled a video interview with the hiring manager the following day. Was asked the normal STAR questions and advised I would be contacted in 48 hours with decision . I received email 3 days later scheduling another video conference for the formal job offer

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a frustrated customer   View Answer
    No room for negotiation

ER Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Competency based questions. Telephone, in person and panel interview. Questions that asked to give an experience that demonstrated a particular competency that is required for job. Usually selection is made after 3 rounds of interviews.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

5 Levels of interviews and a lengthy process
    HR tech screening with some fixed set of questions
    Technical interview with a Peer Architect in depth diving into technical
    Cognitive Problem Solving with a Director of Architecture asked to solve couple of production issues and propose a better design
    Behavioral and Resume review with hiring Director primarily focusing on why you made certain design and tech choices in your past projects
    Leadership with Vice President focusing on your leadership ability

Interview Questions
    • How many cards Amex issues per year in US?   View Answer
    They just offer and you either accept or walk away. Only little room for negotiation

Marketing Analyst Interview

Went through a series of phone screenings and then came in for an in person interview. I met with three different people and had three separate 30 minute interviews with each of them.