American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professio Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in September 2014.

Online application. Contacted about a week later for a phone interview with recruiter. He must have liked my answers because he scheduled a video interview with the hiring manager the following day. Was asked the normal STAR questions and advised I would be contacted in 48 hours with decision . I received email 3 days later scheduling another video conference for the formal job offer

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a frustrated customer   View Answer
    No room for negotiation

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

5 Levels of interviews and a lengthy process
    HR tech screening with some fixed set of questions
    Technical interview with a Peer Architect in depth diving into technical
    Cognitive Problem Solving with a Director of Architecture asked to solve couple of production issues and propose a better design
    Behavioral and Resume review with hiring Director primarily focusing on why you made certain design and tech choices in your past projects
    Leadership with Vice President focusing on your leadership ability

Interview Questions
    • How many cards Amex issues per year in US?   View Answer
    They just offer and you either accept or walk away. Only little room for negotiation

Marketing Analyst Interview

Went through a series of phone screenings and then came in for an in person interview. I met with three different people and had three separate 30 minute interviews with each of them.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

Round one was a thirty minute HR telephonic screening interview. Round two was a four hour written test consisting of a test case scenario. Round three was a round robin interview with five managers each asking five questions.

Interview Questions
    • Behavior-based interview questions. Nothing that would throw you for a loop if you complete a self-assessment on your own beforehand.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available.

Director Global Merchant Insights & B2B New Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Very professional HR Recruiter & hiring Manager who asked good questions by phone. Recruiter felt my background fit the job description perfectly but was concerned that the salary was lower than my previous employer. The hiring manager interviewed me by phone as well, and did not move me to the next round as there were other candidates "more aligned to the role", although she provided very positive feedback on being "thoroughly impressed" by my background and my "fantastic energy". I received timely feedback from the recruiter, which allowed me to pursue other opportunities. I had the impression that the hiring manager may already have had a candidate in mind for the role.

Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in August 2014.

Applied online and then did an assessments which are very relevant to the job.. Once you finish the assessment you will be contacted by a recruiter who will send you the information as to do a web interview. . They'll ask you competency based questions, in a "STAR" method. So, they're looking for a situation, that has a beginning, middle and end. Google "Star method" and this will help you out. It was easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you helped a customer and its outcome.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst, Campaign Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via email after I applied online to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was about 20-30 minutes long with general questions asked and background information given about the role. The usual "you seem great, I'm going to give your resume to the hiring manager and if interested in setting up a face-to-face, we'll reach back out later on this week." Very pleasant. I received an email from the recruiter a few days later to schedule a face-to-face interview. Met with the whole six-member team each with 30 minute interviews from 9a - 12 noon. Everything went really well. General questions were asked. No case questions. Unfortunately, they went with someone who had an extra year of experience over on me.

Manager - Risk Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

I went through the campus recruitment process. Had two case interviews. One is about the credit card profitability. The other is about the direct mail campaign efficiency. The interview questions are not too difficult and both of the interveiwers are nice. I only went through one round.

No negotiation

Customer Care Professional Tier II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

The interview process went very smoothly. I applied online and received an email to complete online testing. After testing, I received a call the next day to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for later on that day. After the phone interview, I was invited to come to the office for an in person interview the next week. The in person interview was with one person. She told me about the position and reviewed my resume. She asked me five competency based questions and asked if I had any questions for her. She advised that I would here something either way by the end of the week. At 4:45pm on Friday of that week, I received a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • One of the questions that I was asked was about how my actions contributed to change within an organization.   Answer Question
    There was really no room to negotiate. You basically have to accept what they offer or take the chance of having the offer withdrawn. I was very satisfied with the offer extended to me.

Customer Service - Inbound Phone Interview

I applied online – interviewed at American Express.

After applying on-line it took about a week to hear back with a phone interview. Quick interview, standard questions, and if you pass that stage you go in for a panel of interviews and a computer based test.

Interview Questions
    • What do you least like about working in a call center?   View Answer
    No negotiation for entry level.