American Express Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Tempe, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone screening with technical guy then in office interview with him and hiring manager .They said they gonna call you. Send mail after one week repky we are still in process

Interview Questions

• IP subnetting dns dhcp statefull inspection router switches NAT   Answer Question

Fraud Protection Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Interview by phone then interview in person with someone being on a conference call. It was a corporate hiring process with the standard behavioral questions. Didn't ask much besides the questions and to rehash my resume in person.

Fraud Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Salt Lake, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (South Salt Lake, UT).

Interview

Spoke in person with local supervisor. Also teleconference with agent mgmt in Phoenix, AZ. Reviewed previous experience, asked why I was looking elsewhere rather than keeping current position. The phone conference part was helpful to them to hear how I interact on the phone, i.e., not seeing the person on the other line (do I talk over them? Am I nervous sight-unseen?) I helps them also assess the quality of my phone voice (without being distracted by my good looks LOL)

Interview Questions

• What do you think the most important job skill that applies here is?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I thought the offer was already generous. Pays well for call center work.

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at American Express (Tempe, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

I got the email about the position through the university emails. I sent my resume to them and surprisingly after just 1 hour they sent me some timeslots to interview with them! They also provided me a conference call number along with a passcode to call them. In the day of interview, there were basically three people, one of them was a leader and the others were data scientists at AMEX. They started with explaining their background and wanted me to talk about mine too. After that, they asked two technical and basic machine learning questions. Questions were average and I solved the first one correctly and the second one almost correctly. It seemed that they had already chosen their candidate at that time and I've heard this from one of my friends who had applied for the position before me and got the onsite interview while I hadn't had my interview yet! I don't know why they still interviewed me while they already knew their right candidate?? I would say this is absolutely not fair while I had a pile of related publications in my resume compared to my friend who didn't have any paper at all!

Interview Questions

• We have like million card members and along with their transactions. Also, we have 10k restaurants and 1k coupons to eat food. Give a method that can be used to pass along the coupons to the users given that some users have already got their coupons so far.   1 Answer
    • Given a training set of users with their demographic information, psychology test of their personality (openness to like pages or not) and the pages of FB they have liked so far, how could we predict the gender, age and other demographics of unseen data?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled for a panel interview with 5 hiring directors and about 10 other candidates. I'm still waiting for my interview. First, it was simply, "tell us a little bit about yourself." So we went down the line and everybody got to get their introduction in, but there was one lady who took at least 15 minutes to do this. In doing so, we over went our time for the interview and not everybody got asked a question. I was lucky enough to receive a question, but it was a very softly pitched question. I understand that we were tight on time, but I believe it was on the panel stand up and say something regarding this woman taking a lot of time. I don't blame the lady for trying to make herself know, but at a glance I saw a few members of the panel not even paying attention so I don't know whether or not she was selected. Honestly, I'm can't say whether or not I was the best candidate in the room simply because there wasn't much to gauge my competition on. I emailed the recruiters about this and have yet to receive a response.

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Express (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2015.

Interview

The process is extremely slow and there are numerous rounds of interviews. The interview process did not start until 5 weeks after the posting closed. Rather than having a panel interview, there were individual interviews with associated parties.

Interview Questions

• The majority of the questions are all situational to the role itself   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Express (Sterling Heights, MI) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and answered basic questions. Then a recruiter for screening competencies. Then in interview, competency based interviewing process. Usually a minimum of 2 people leading interview. Need to have specific examples and scenarios to provide interviewer. Do your research on the position and group.

Operational Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process was average. General questions we're asked. Questions related to previous job experience. As I was referred by an internal employee , thus was directly caled for personal interview and skipped initial levels like phone interview. Unfortunatly, the position was cancelled thus no offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why should we hire you??   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email to chat with the HR person on the phone. He asked a few typical interview questions as pre-screen. Then came in to the office and met with 4 different people on the team I would join.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had convince/influence a group of people, of which some were your superiors.   2 Answers

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at American Express.

Interview

The interview was purely via webcam, so unless you're used to communicating that way, it can be a bit awkward. They give you ample time to get used to the website and process before continuing, however. You record your answers to questions in which they present to you, which they review later.