American Express

American Express Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in July 2014.

I completed the pre-screening interview and was told that I was exactly what they were looking for in this position. I was very excited about the position and was looking forward to my in person interview. However, the Recruiter contacted me to ask if I would hire her at my current company because it was so horrible to work for the Recruiting Company that American Express uses. The phone conversation ended when she basically stated that if I took the position at American Express then my position at my current company would be open and she could take my position. She then wouldn't listen to me when I told her I was no longer interested in the position and continued to forward my information on to the VP who was hiring for the position. The entire process was unprofessional and didn't make me want to work for a company whose recruiters were so unethical.

Consultant/Platform Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express.

Phone, 2 face to face interviews. Tough interviews. People are digging deeper in to your skills set and experience. Hiring manager takes the call. The process took no more than a week. Decision was made within 24 hrs of the interview.

Customer Care Professional Interview

phone interview followed up by face to face Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond? Describe a time when you had a very difficult client? Answer Question
    Why do you want to work for American Express? ical

Customer Care Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Work from Home position. Entire interview process done over the phone. After applying contacted first via email to complete assessment. Within 48 hours contacted via email to arrange a phone interview. Phone interview was STAR method at the end of the phone interview made arrangements for follow up with Hiring Manager for the next day. Additional situational questions were asked using the STAR method. Both interviewers where great. They made me feel like I wanted to work for the company. After the second interview I was told someone would get back to me within 1 week to let me know either way. Offer call came within 48 hours and equipment arrived 1 week later after the background check was completed.

Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in June 2014.

2 phone interviews with recruiters (Allegis Global) then face-to-face with the hiring manager. The questions are what you would expect: reasons for leaving current job, skills, expectations. The hiring manager was friendly and explained the team and job responsibilities in details. However, after the interview, I have not heard back from either the recruiter or hiring manager for over 4 weeks, not even after follow-up emails; should at least inform candidate of the rejection for the sake of professionalism

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express in June 2014.

Was given 6 comptency questions to anwer. Was told that if this position was not right for me, the director-who was interviewing me-would work with me to find a position that was suitable. This was a lie. I asked to take her up on her offer-no response.

Interview Questions
    • None-however-they asked two different questions regarding how do you develop your staff.   View Answer

HOME BASED SERVICE - Customer Care Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express in June 2014.

The application is pretty simple as well as the assessment. Although the assessment can be a little bit intimidating. Once you have taken it, they don't tell you right away if you failed it. either you get an email the next day that you were not considered for the position, or you will receive a email/call to set up a possible interview.

Interview Questions
    • one of the most difficult questions asked, or at least so I thought was, "tell me a time when you have a difficult manager and what you did"? Really, I was prepared for all types of types of question even practiced the Star method of answering and I choked.   View Answer

Membership Rewards Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Submitted resume online and was contacted by manager directly. HR eventually brought me in at her request. Was not impressed by surroundings when I was there as things looked dated, but I eventually learned that most other floors have been renovated. People were all very respectful of my time and took time to explain role fully and introduce culture.

Interview Questions
    • Are you sure you're okay with the payscale before we make you an offer?   Answer Question
    The pay scales are set at Amex based on your "Band," or level. Much like the government, there is a set range for any given position. There's no point in trying to negotiate outside of the range unless you're at an executive level (I would guess).

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express in June 2014.

Three-step process: phone screening, director/manager phone interview, on-site interview. The phone screening is by a regular recruiter to gauge your interest in the job and a partial rehashing of your resume. You will be setup with a director or similar manager for a more detailed discussion of your background and job goals. I think this is where I didn't make the cut because I said I was interested in doing more analytics when asked about my dream job. The director said the role was more of marketing and partnerships, since the data heavy lifting was done by their software engineers. The interview was otherwise easy with a few STAR questions.

The director took a month to reply with a rejection but at least I received a notice. If I had made it to the final round, it would have been an on-site meeting.

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Good process, two interview rounds, quick offer, was able to receive a little higher than initial offer after negotiations, background check completed fast, official documentation received quickly as well, would recommend