American Express

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in June 2014.

2 phone interviews with recruiters (Allegis Global) then face-to-face with the hiring manager. The questions are what you would expect: reasons for leaving current job, skills, expectations. The hiring manager was friendly and explained the team and job responsibilities in details. However, after the interview, I have not heard back from either the recruiter or hiring manager for over 4 weeks, not even after follow-up emails; should at least inform candidate of the rejection for the sake of professionalism

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

Simple and straightforward hiring process. Very behavioral and situational. Didn't receive any curveballs or case studies. However, the process takes a long time - about 1-2 months. But this can very across divisions and hiring leads.

Interview Questions
    • The most "difficult" question was "What are American Express's key revenue streams and costs? Describe three of each." Basically, you should have a solid understanding of how the business makes money and how it operates, because there are so many business lines at the company.   Answer Question

Manager Business Development Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at American Express in January 2011.

Recruiter set up a time to speak... Basic question about current sales numbers, behavioral type questions. She asked salary expectations and the process wasn't too stressful. Hiring manager called and asked behavioral type questions. She set up a face to face where I had to prepare a presentation on a company. The meeting went well and I flew out to meet with the regional VP. The RVP was candid and direct. It seem as if I was wasting his time and I knew his decision before I left the office. I was asked to speak to one more director and after waiting for two weeks (my calls and emails were not returned)...then I received the call. The other candidate received and accepted the offer. I was asked to keep in touch.

Interview Questions
    • No curve balls. In sales, we are constantly thinking on our feet...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at American Express in April 2010.

The Regionial Manager was great. He seemed like a manager who you could learn alot from and those who worked alongside and under him seemed to genuinely hold him in a high regard. The process was quite long, 4 phone interviews (recruiter, local mgr, another mgr from CT), as well as 3 face to face interviews (2 with local mgr, 1 w/ the local mgr and a VP from NYC), and a 180 day business plan project. I have to say that after my experience with the people from this company, I really appreciate the feedback they gave me and the experience was a very positive one- even though I didn't get the job.

Manager - Business Development Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at American Express.

Was a pretty clean and seamless process, though it took a bit of time. American Express has a very solid process that consists of a competancy based interview where questions are more on real life situations and how one handled them. Helps in separating the rice from the chaff.

Pretty smooth

Manager Business Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

360 interview with recruiter, hiring Director, Regional Vice President and colleague in current role. Interview involves role play to ensure ability to demonstrate "solution selling skills". Background check (criminal history) and credit check (common process for banks) along with submission of previous W2's for proof of proven sales track record.

Interview Questions
    • How would you find creative ways to prospect and close new business in a market that the company already possess 75% market share?   Answer Question