American Express

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Simple and straightforward hiring process. Very behavioral and situational. Didn't receive any curveballs or case studies. However, the process takes a long time - about 1-2 months. But this can very across divisions and hiring leads.

Interview Question – The most "difficult" question was "What are American Express's key revenue streams and costs? Describe three of each." Basically, you should have a solid understanding of how the business makes money and how it operates, because there are so many business lines at the company.   Answer Question

Manager Business Development

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at American Express in January 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter set up a time to speak... Basic question about current sales numbers, behavioral type questions. She asked salary expectations and the process wasn't too stressful. Hiring manager called and asked behavioral type questions. She set up a face to face where I had to prepare a presentation on a company. The meeting went well and I flew out to meet with the regional VP. The RVP was candid and direct. It seem as if I was wasting his time and I knew his decision before I left the office. I was asked to speak to one more director and after waiting for two weeks (my calls and emails were not returned)...then I received the call. The other candidate received and accepted the offer. I was asked to keep in touch.

Interview Question – No curve balls. In sales, we are constantly thinking on our feet...   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2010.

Interview Details – The Regionial Manager was great. He seemed like a manager who you could learn alot from and those who worked alongside and under him seemed to genuinely hold him in a high regard. The process was quite long, 4 phone interviews (recruiter, local mgr, another mgr from CT), as well as 3 face to face interviews (2 with local mgr, 1 w/ the local mgr and a VP from NYC), and a 180 day business plan project. I have to say that after my experience with the people from this company, I really appreciate the feedback they gave me and the experience was a very positive one- even though I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Put together a 180 day business plan.   Answer Question

Manager - Business Development Interview

Manager - Business Development

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Was a pretty clean and seamless process, though it took a bit of time. American Express has a very solid process that consists of a competancy based interview where questions are more on real life situations and how one handled them. Helps in separating the rice from the chaff.

Interview Question – Not sure   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty smooth

Manager Business Development

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – 360 interview with recruiter, hiring Director, Regional Vice President and colleague in current role. Interview involves role play to ensure ability to demonstrate "solution selling skills". Background check (criminal history) and credit check (common process for banks) along with submission of previous W2's for proof of proven sales track record.

Interview Question – How would you find creative ways to prospect and close new business in a market that the company already possess 75% market share?   Answer Question

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!