American Express Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.6

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express.

Varies by group, most are 4-5 30min interviews with various peers or leaders to get your honest responses. What you should say varies by group so reach out to individuals before hand to truly understand the culture.

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at American Express in December 2012.

I received a call from the Recruiter who actually works for AllegisTalent2, not American Express. I found him to be extremely cocky on the phone and way too casual. The best way I can describe the conversation... he spoke to me like I was a buddy hanging out with him at a bar or in a frat house. Odd. Anyway, my resume was forwarded to the Hiring Manager. I had a phone screen with the Hiring Manager. Subsequently, I followed up with the Recruiter 2x and never heard back from him.

Amex has such a great reputation. But I must say that after speak to the Recruiter, who represents Amex, I was a bit turned off.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions regarding work history and experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at American Express in August 2011.

Contacted by a recruiter, briefly chat over the phone and gathered some basic information. A phone interview (as an out-of-town candidate) with the hiring manager for half an hour, then quickly contacted by the recruiter the next day to set up an onsite interview the following week. They took care of the travel arrangements from flights, hotel, and transportation. Very efficient and professional.

Interviewed by 4 people for half an hour each. Not too difficult to manage. Mostly focus on the experience and skills. The next day they set up two more phone calls with business partners on the west coasts.

Interview Questions
    • Rank among 3 tasks, what's the order of your preference?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at American Express in January 2012.

Applied through a recruiter. She set up some time with the hiring manager for a first round over the phone, after which I was invited to two 2nd round interviews, one with the hiring manager and colleague, and one with the VP. Although the interview process went through very quickly because of the urgent need to fill the role, American Express can take time to process things.

Manager Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in November 2010.

Lots of phone conversations. Nothing too analytic.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Amex? Why us vs. the competition?   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation.

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at American Express in May 2010.

I applied for this position online and received a phone call from one of the team members to inquire more about my background (education, previous work experience etc.). Later that week an administrative assistant called to schedule a panel interview. The interview consisted of questions to evaluate candidate in certain situations. Obviously there were no right or wrong answers so it was not clear at the end if I did well or not. I heard back from the company again after a week to schedule for a technical interview. It consisted of questions around process improvement and related calculations. I knew for sure that it went well and I got an offer following week.
    Advice to other interview candidates: Know everything about what you write in your resume. Be ready to explain salient projects that you worked on with relevant timelines and associated benefits.
    Perceptions of people, office and work culture: People at American Express in general are very courteous. Managers especially let you speak first and listen well. Constructive feedback is considered as a gift! Workplace is very engaging and fun at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • You are given an idea and you have to convince your upper management in one slide. Explain with an example.   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you had to handle conflict in your team. How did you resolve or why was it not resolved? What lessons did you learn?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at American Express in December 2008.

They only have guidelines. My interview process consisted of a 1st round & final round interview with the same person!

Interview Questions
    • I find Amex interviews very structured with a lot of focus on competency-based questions.   Answer Question
    The pay structure is very rigid and managers who are recruited from the outside star on £50k-£60k.