American Express

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at American Express

Interview Details – one on-campus interview (two) and then on-site interview. mainly behavioral questions and situational.

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at American Express.

Interview Details – Fairly straightforward. Behavioral & knowledge of the closeloop. A few questions regarding the economy and marketing in general. They were very nice and helpful. I enjoyed the experience.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2013.

Interview Details – First round was a phone screening, followed by a second round a week later with three managers. A week after that, was called in for an interview with the director. Questions were mostly behavioral, with some technical questions here and there. I was called later that day and offered the job.

Interview Question – How do you work out a solution when there is a conflict with internal partners?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at American Express in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter for a high level phone interview. About a 15 minute conversation on what the role was, my background, salary requirements, etc.

About 10 days later the recruiter reached back out to set up an in-person interview with 2 managers. The first interviewer was 15 minutes late for our meeting and made it clear she was uninterested in speaking with me (looked at her watch, texted as I spoke, etc). Pretty unprofessional but I took it as ways to throw me off during the process.

My 2nd interview went well, very basic questions that were situational/behavioral based.

I waited a week to hear back and had to reach out to discover I wasn't a candidate.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, very run of the mill questions--

Tell me about yourself
Why this role
What interests you most about marketing
3 Strengths/weaknesses
What would your boss tell me about you if I asked
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at American Express in May 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me about the position scheduled a phone interview with AmEx manager within two days of conversation. The phone interview consisted of questions about my background and familiarity with American Express. After the phone interview concluded, I was contacted by the recruiter for an in person interview with two other marketing managers. I was questioned about my background, interest in American Express and previous marketing experience.

Interview Question – Why are you here?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through their website, and was contacted by HR over phone. I had a 15 mins phone screening. Questions are pretty basic, such as "walk me through your resume", "salary requirements". I was told to schedule an in person interview with the hiring manager within the same week. The manager was busy, and the interview lasts less than 30 mins. The questions were all very basic, too, including "walk me through your resume" (yes, again), "why this position"....and etc.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in February 2012.

Interview Details – I received and email after applying via the American Express Website asking for my availability for a phone interview. After speaking with an HR rep I was told that I was a strong cadidate for the Marketing Analyst position that they had available. The next step I went through was to speak to a Manager who also said I was a strong candidate. After 2 phone interviews I went in for a Face to Face interview with the Hiring Manager who asked my about my skills in regards to marketing. I felt that each interview I had on that day went well. In all I met with 3 different people. After sending out thank you letters I did not hear anything back for 3 weeks afterwards. The hiring manager called me to let me know that they decided to go another direction with a more experience candidate.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you had to Analyse Data?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at American Express in January 2009.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted via phone directly by the hiring manager. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and consisted mainly of general inquiries about my background, experience, strengths and weaknesses. The phone interview was really to get a feeling for my personality and to see if it may be a fit within the department. Since my phone interview went well, I was asked to come in to meet the team in person.
In a matter of days, I was scheduled to visit the office and was told I would be meeting with multiple team members over the course of about 4 hours. Since the AMEX offices are in the World Financial Center, security is extremely tight. It may take up to 20 minutes to get through security as a visitor (ID creation, x-ray machine, bag search etc.) so be prepared to arrive earlier than usual if you interview here.
The AMEX offices are very "corporate". Nothing too fancy, but extremely clean and organized. I was immediately greeted when stepping off the elevator by my first of four interviewers. We stepped into a small conference room and began the process immediately. I met with the hiring manager, the Vice President of the department and two other senior level team members (one after the other). I was asked to look at various reports and tell them what strategy I would implement in each situation. One of the toughest questions I received was "tell me about FIVE of your weaknesses". I was prepared with one or two, but five was a bit of a stumper!
Overall, everyone I met with was extremely nice and personable. The corporate culture at AMEX is very collaborative, but I hear that there are many layers to get through in order to have your ideas taken seriously (that is, if you are in a more junior position). They put a good deal of emphasis on work/life balance and I got the feeling that they really meant it. Although they decided to go with an internal candidate for the position I was going for, I still keep in touch with those I interviewed with and they are keeping me in mind for future openings. Good to know that your resume is not shredded right away if you are not hired for one position.

Interview Questions

• How many trash cans would you say are in in Times Square? Take me through your thought process...   View Answer
  • Tell me about five of your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online - interviewed at American Express in January 2014.

Interview Details – The HR emailed me and scheduled a telephone interview.

Interview Question – During the telephone interview, I was asked "What's your understanding for Marketing Analyst role", a simple question but I was too nervous and failed on this question. Lessons Learned.   Answer Question

Marketing Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at American Express in April 2010.

Interview Details – I went through internal efforts to get the interview. I was contacted immediately. I interviewed with two people in the span of 4 days.
The following week I met with the Director of the group.
The wait to hear back takes awhile. I am in fact waiting to hear back to see if I made it to the last round.
Overall, it was a positive experience

Interview Question – Tell me of a time in which you failed.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Marketing Analyst interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.