American Express

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in July 2011.

Interview Details – Huge building swarming with people doing analytics. Very difficult to see how one would make a contribution...even the people interviewing me had a difficult time describing that they contributed or even their departments. Friendly people, but seemed lost.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in July 2011.

Interview Details – Initially a HR coordinator type person make a quick call, do minimum screening such as the if the candidate's expected salary range is within their range. Then this person or another person set up a call with a recruiter, who will check on minimum qualifications and if the opportunity is suitable to the candidate. Then the original HR person or someone else coordinate the phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at American Express in March 2010.

Interview Details – Thorough process but I found the culture at Amex to be off putting.

Interview Question – Have you ever made a decision you wish you could do over?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the right fit.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2010.

Interview Details – Initially discussed position with HR and then met with the director of the team the following week. Interview went well and she asked fairly typical questions for a marketing position (examples from my experience, hypothetical scenarios, etc). She then had me meet with another member on the team who had previously held the position, which was helpful, as he gave a lot of good info on the role. Both went really well and I came back in the following week to meet with the VP. He was a little more intense - asked questions about industry, competitors, future plans in the company, and general marketing knowledge. Said he was meeting with a few other candidates but would get back to me shortly. Unfortunately, I never heard back from them. In fact, in the 2 months after, I reached out to HR and the director via phone and email, but no one has responded. For such a reputable, well-established and supposedly amazing place to work, it's a highly unprofessional and disrespectful way of treating potential candidates. I assume that I didn't get the job but it would've been greatly appreciated if someone had reached out to tell me.

Interview Question – Give an example of a company who has a successful marketing strategy and why.   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 months - interviewed at American Express in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted within a few days of applying online through the company website. After a very pleasant and promising interview, I NEVER heard back from the hiring manager or the HR. After speaking with other people who have gone through the recruiting process with AMEX, I've realized that I'm not alone. I get that people are busy, but have the courtesy to reply with a concrete answer. It takes a simple email or a phone call. THAT'S IT. They're tarnishing their "BRAND IMAGE" they dearly care so much.

Interview Question – a case question   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at American Express in June 2011.

Interview Details – I received an e-mail from a recruiter from American Express asking for days that I could come into their office for an interview. I never got a response to my e-mail until the recruiter called me a week later to confirm my interview time for the next day. I informed him there must be some confusion because I would have to travel to New York and couldn't come up in a day's notice. Although I was wary of this process so far, I agreed to set up something for several days later. I was told to arrive 15 minutes early to get through security. Once I arrived, I was asked why I had gotten there so early. I was then kept waiting 45 minutes. The interview started about 30 minutes late. It was obvious about 15 minutes in that this was a screen interview and I wasn't being seriously considered. I was informed that had the interviewer known I wasn't local to New York then they would have done it over the phone. The problem was that the recruiter did know. My advice: Be certain they are considering you for the position before spending time or money.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience with previous positions.   Answer Question

Markham, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at American Express in December 2009.

Interview Details – There were multiple interviewers.

They asked questions off resume first then like questions about experiences and strengths and stuff.

Then behaviour based questions about just what you would do in this situation or when you demonstrated this.

Not such a hard interview. Just relax and have fun.

Interview Questions

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at American Express in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was with a recruiter and a marketing manager. Both were very friendly and informative about the company. The interview consisted of mainly behavioural interview questions, including "explain a time when you were required to use your networking skills" and "explain a time where you experienced conflict with a teammate, and how did you resolve the problem"

Interview Question – Explain a time where you have used your networking skills   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!

American Express Videos

American Express – Why Work for Us?

What will you do #foraliving? Welcome to American Express. Here we encourage everyone who works with us to do what they love with pride, share their innovations, and realize their full potential by helping other people… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Express Marketing interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by American Express employees and interview candidates.