American Express Marketing Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2015

3.2

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express.

Interview

I applied through my university and was selected for a first-round interview. There were 2 45-minute back-to-back interviews. Questions were mostly behavioral, but a few were situational. Interviewers were reading the questions off of a sheet and taking notes, so the interviews didn't feel very spontaneous. The interviewers were nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision.
    Tell me about a time you had to handle a stressful situation.
    If you were told you had to lead marketing campaigns in 3 cities, what questions would you ask and how would you implement the campaigns?

+ plenty of other questions already posted by others.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for American Express

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express.

Interview

First round interviews were supposed to be in person on campus, but were done over the phone due to snow. Second round interviews involved traveling to the company's office in NYC. Heard back on hiring process in 3 to 5 business days after second round. Both interviews entailed two 45 minute interviews with different representatives from the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to work to meet a deadline. Describe a time when you had to do what was right even if it wasn't the easiest thing to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Two rounds. 1st was on campus and consisted of two 45 min interviews. These two focused on behavioral and situational, though most time was spent on one vague situational question. The 2nd round was super day at their NY office. This consisted of 30 min interviews and were all behavioral.

Interview Questions

• What would you need to know when selecting two international markets to focus your product on?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Process was very smooth and quick. Everything happened within a weeks times between the first and second interview. Amex responded quickly within 24 hours after the interviews and the questions and structure of the interview were what were to be expected. Unlike other companies I interviewed for, Amex took a keen interest in my extracurricular interests, which most definitely embodies the type of culture they have.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Initially a HR coordinator type person make a quick call, do minimum screening such as the if the candidate's expected salary range is within their range. Then this person or another person set up a call with a recruiter, who will check on minimum qualifications and if the opportunity is suitable to the candidate. Then the original HR person or someone else coordinate the phone interview with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

Huge building swarming with people doing analytics. Very difficult to see how one would make a contribution...even the people interviewing me had a difficult time describing that they contributed or even their departments. Friendly people, but seemed lost.

Interview Questions

• Why are you here?   1 Answer
    • Give me an example where you were literally frightened to present.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

Initially discussed position with HR and then met with the director of the team the following week. Interview went well and she asked fairly typical questions for a marketing position (examples from my experience, hypothetical scenarios, etc). She then had me meet with another member on the team who had previously held the position, which was helpful, as he gave a lot of good info on the role. Both went really well and I came back in the following week to meet with the VP. He was a little more intense - asked questions about industry, competitors, future plans in the company, and general marketing knowledge. Said he was meeting with a few other candidates but would get back to me shortly. Unfortunately, I never heard back from them. In fact, in the 2 months after, I reached out to HR and the director via phone and email, but no one has responded. For such a reputable, well-established and supposedly amazing place to work, it's a highly unprofessional and disrespectful way of treating potential candidates. I assume that I didn't get the job but it would've been greatly appreciated if someone had reached out to tell me.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a company who has a successful marketing strategy and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

I was contacted within a few days of applying online through the company website. After a very pleasant and promising interview, I NEVER heard back from the hiring manager or the HR. After speaking with other people who have gone through the recruiting process with AMEX, I've realized that I'm not alone. I get that people are busy, but have the courtesy to reply with a concrete answer. It takes a simple email or a phone call. THAT'S IT. They're tarnishing their "BRAND IMAGE" they dearly care so much.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at American Express (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Thorough process but I found the culture at Amex to be off putting.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever made a decision you wish you could do over?   Answer Question

Not the right fit.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at American Express in June 2011.

Interview

I received an e-mail from a recruiter from American Express asking for days that I could come into their office for an interview. I never got a response to my e-mail until the recruiter called me a week later to confirm my interview time for the next day. I informed him there must be some confusion because I would have to travel to New York and couldn't come up in a day's notice. Although I was wary of this process so far, I agreed to set up something for several days later. I was told to arrive 15 minutes early to get through security. Once I arrived, I was asked why I had gotten there so early. I was then kept waiting 45 minutes. The interview started about 30 minutes late. It was obvious about 15 minutes in that this was a screen interview and I wasn't being seriously considered. I was informed that had the interviewer known I wasn't local to New York then they would have done it over the phone. The problem was that the recruiter did know. My advice: Be certain they are considering you for the position before spending time or money.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with previous positions.   Answer Question